A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Ger27
glamman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 pm Good effort from Douthwaite with a mixture of watchfulness and aggression at the right times. I have always seen him as a batting all rounder providing the 4th seamer option.
You've always seen him as a second team player, to be fair. :yes:

He's got the potential to be a very good #7/#8, I think. Well worthy of the new contract.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:06 pm
glamman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 pm Good effort from Douthwaite with a mixture of watchfulness and aggression at the right times. I have always seen him as a batting all rounder providing the 4th seamer option.
You've always seen him as a second team player, to be fair. :yes:

He's got the potential to be a very good #7/#8, I think. Well worthy of the new contract.
If you have read my comments I stated early on that he looked like someone who could bat properly but too often played a rash shot as he tried to be a biffer. I thought his shot selection today was excellent. The leave not so much!
His bowling is a bit erratic but can certainly fill a 4th seamer slot. His run up is a bit too angled for my liking but hopefully that will improve as well.
Yorkshire under the hammer as we reach 300 but this looks a good batting strip and it will be tough to get wickets. However the bowlers will be feeling good after their batting exploits.
By glamman
Battling effort from the batsmen/bowlers. Great to keep the Yorkies in the field for the whole day.
Can anyone remember the last time we had 3 batting bonus points?
Hopefully the bowlers can perform tomorrow with the ball as well as they have today with the bat.
Vetchetarian, exileKT8 liked this
By GlamFan
Fantastic fightback by Glamorgan yesterday. Carlson and Billy batted well and great to see Douthwaite knuckle down and score runs in tough conditions. He looks to be a seriously good cricketer with plenty of talent.

It's always good to see tailenders score runs and it looks as if Timm has worked a lot on his batting over the last couple of years.

Hopefully we can add a few more this morning and the bowlers can get to work!

Looking a decent side with good balance and Weighell has a decent first-class record with bat and ball and will put serious pressure on Smith when he returns from injury.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
My only concern is that the pitch looks a pretty good one and we will have to work hard to restrict the Yorkshire batsmen. However even the most optomistic supporter would not have expected us to be in this position, especially after the first half of yesterday. Here's hoping for another good day's cricket.
GlamFan, exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
Have to say I am not sure what people see in Bess? He took wickets in very spinner friendly conditions in Taunton against county players not well versed in playing spin. In India he looked very ordinary. Clearly not going to be able to do much in Leeds in April but even so!
By Glamorganmorgan
Hopefully McIlroy does well with that left-arm angle. If he performs well, I don't see a route back into the side for Carey, Weighell, and eventually Smith for a while. That competition for places is great for development and performances.

I don't really have a problem with people being bowled leaving. How many times have we seen Glamorgan batsman flash at wide ones? At least they were trying to be do things 'properly'
By glamman
Three batsmen were out leaving. Need to know where your off stump is.

I think what Smith offers is a bit more pace. He is the only one of the current bowlers (not sure about Neser) who bowls in the mid 80s.

No harm in having seam options as they will get injuries.
By GlamFan
glamman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am Three batsmen were out leaving. Need to know where your off stump is.

I think what Smith offers is a bit more pace. He is the only one of the current bowlers (not sure about Neser) who bowls in the mid 80s.

You seem to have an infatuation with Smith. He is a good player but injured quite often and Douthwaite and van der Gugten can all bowl at a similar speed.
By glamman
GlamFan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am
glamman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am Three batsmen were out leaving. Need to know where your off stump is.

You seem to have an infatuation with Smith. He is a good player but injured quite often and Douthwaite and van der Gugten can all bowl at a similar speed.
Agree his injuries are an issue but I think if you talk to Cooke he will tell you who the quickest is. Smith is the only seamer to have played every game that he has been fit for since July 2018 (check it). The problem are the words "fit for".

Good start by Hogan. Am sure if Ed was in the commentary box he would have commented on the absence of a 3rd man!
By exileKT8
May I endorse the positives and we can all enjoy an unexpected Glammy total of 330 at Headingly. We await to see what the Yorks batsmen make of it. My fear that Root would score more in his one innings than our team would in two looks unfounded.

Big Well Done to Root and Carlson in the morning when conditions may have been tricky. Superb fightback by Douthwaite, TVDG and Hogan in the afternoon. Not the first time our tail has got us out of a hole in recent times.

Douthwaite attracts some comment on here, I have never seen him live and there are plenty of better judges than me, but when he comes off he can hit and dominate an attack. He has already got us home in some run chases and for a young man he seems to have batting talent and power, perhaps batting craft will come. He picks up wickets with bad balls (something that never harmed Botham and Stokes) and can bowl the occasional `jaffa`. Not saying he will be another Botham or Stokes but could be very useful for us.
Vetchetarian liked this
By glamman
Timm a bit expensive - bowling a bit too full, although at least giving the ball a chance.
Hogan could have had a fifer already!
CC v Lancs (away)

We play Lancs from tomorrow (15th). The second el[…]

Return of crowds

Any thoughts on the return of crowds to The Count[…]

Nick Selman

How can he be anywhere near the 1st team, when his[…]

Glamorgan v Sussex

Are we foreseeing any changes in the side? Any new[…]