A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By exileKT8
Enjoying watching the BigBash and good to see Ingram in decent form.

Some other Glammy connections on our screens got me thinking as we have plenty of time these days and I came up with this select XI of recent years.

M.Elliott
S. Marsh
M.Labuschagne
U.Khawaja
M.North
M,Cosgrove
M,Neser
J.Gillespie
M Kasprowicz
TVDG
M,Hogan

12th man J.Burns or J.Maher

Bit heavy on pace and light on spin, Cossie to take the gloves but not a bad side. Add Mitchell Marsh who I don`t think got to wear the daffodil in the middle. Any I`ve missed ? Sorry, Selman not as this level yet.

HNY or as good as can be to all on here.
By Ger27
Jim Allenby has to make the XI.

Who was the Aussie opener who played in the late 90s (early 00s possibly) and barely scored a run all summer?
By uskexile
Jimmy Maher scored heavily in Australia Sheffield Shield but couldn't score a run for Glam.
By exileKT8
Hi Usk

Tait came back to me the other day, tremendous pace but very expensive for Glammy if I remember correctly. I do remember Matt Prior sending him to the boundary quite a lot in an evening game at Hove.

Henriques has looked a class act in the Big Bash and you are right he should be in. Like many of our overseas we didn`t see the best of him. Was he a early season replacement and found some bowler friendly wickets in May ?

Allenby of course hails from Perth, forgot about him.

There aren`t many games on these mornings without some Glammy connection. Marnus had a much better 2nd game after adjusting to T20 batting demands and his leg spin could be useful like Ingram`s was. Without wishing to tempt fate Neser looks some player, just hope Cricket Australia allows them plenty of Daffodil time.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 pm Hi Usk

Tait came back to me the other day, tremendous pace but very expensive for Glammy if I remember correctly. I do remember Matt Prior sending him to the boundary quite a lot in an evening game at Hove.

Henriques has looked a class act in the Big Bash and you are right he should be in. Like many of our overseas we didn`t see the best of him. Was he a early season replacement and found some bowler friendly wickets in May ?

There aren`t many games on these mornings without some Glammy connection. Marnus had a much better 2nd game after adjusting to T20 batting demands and his leg spin could be useful like Ingram`s was. Without wishing to tempt fate Neser looks some player, just hope Cricket Australia allows them plenty of Daffodil time.
Neser would be in my team for 50 and 20-over games but not sure that will happen if Labuschagne available for T20s. Marnus seems to have problems getting spinners away in T20. Not a hard hitter and worried he may use up too many balls if he comes in at 3.
By exileKT8
Hi Glamman

If all three are available then a T20 selection dilemma but Marnus is a genuine world class batsman so has to play and we hope he would bat through the innings and have others play around him. I note he has scored at a decent rate in his last two innings now he is adjusting and perhaps better off not opening in the power play. Be interesting to see him v Neser again on Friday. He can`t match Ingram`s pyrotechnics but Marnus`s leg spin could be vital for us, another 3 wickets this morning. I also think he has such a positive presence so Neser v Ingram for me for the other place and Neser gets my vote. Ingram being a very good locum if Australia want Marnus.

So Welsh cricket gets £1m from the Welsh government, is this Glammy or the Club grass roots game? Doesn`t seem right to me with all that`s going on here health and econony wise that professional sports players wages are being paid by Gov`t money. I am excited that the above three are lined up to play for Glammy but it shouldn`t be supported by public money. If I have the wrong end of the stick happy to be corrected.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm Hi Glamman

If all three are available then a T20 selection dilemma but Marnus is a genuine world class batsman so has to play and we hope he would bat through the innings and have others play around him. I note he has scored at a decent rate in his last two innings now he is adjusting and perhaps better off not opening in the power play. Be interesting to see him v Neser again on Friday. He can`t match Ingram`s pyrotechnics but Marnus`s leg spin could be vital for us, another 3 wickets this morning. I also think he has such a positive presence so Neser v Ingram for me for the other place and Neser gets my vote. Ingram being a very good locum if Australia want Marnus.

So Welsh cricket gets £1m from the Welsh government, is this Glammy or the Club grass roots game? Doesn`t seem right to me with all that`s going on here health and econony wise that professional sports players wages are being paid by Gov`t money. I am excited that the above three are lined up to play for Glammy but it shouldn`t be supported by public money. If I have the wrong end of the stick happy to be corrected.
They are a business like any other and on that basis need to be supported. They were compelled to curtail their activities because of COVID. As with many other businesses they would go under without the support. Guess we would then have to make do with club cricket on a Saturday for our entertainment.
By exileKT8
No argument with supporting the business of Glamorgan County Cricket which is the flagship of the Welsh game. COVID must have hit all revenue streams not just cricket days, but how do you balance this financial pain with employing three very good and therefore I assume pretty expensive overseas players in ML, MN and CI. The latter two deals were done in recent times.
I suppose Glammy are just doing what they are allowed but how much change out of a £1m will you have after paying those 3 players wages ?

I have no particular axe to grind with Cricket, plenty of worse examples in Football and Rugby, there needs to be a new realism about the scale of wages paid.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 pm Hi Usk

Am coming around to the benefits of Marnus in the T20 team, perhaps more with the ball than the bat. 3/13 from his 3 overs today makes good reading. Question then is whether you want Salter and Sisodiya in the same team when Taylor could also provide a spin option? If facing a team of predominantly right handers, you could leave out Salter and include someone like Douthwaite, who might not get in my full strength team.
By glamman
Marnus again a bit slow scoring this morning. If he bats for us at 3 it is important that the other top order batsmen are all free scoring with Marnus providing the glue. Otherwise we could bat ourselves into a hole.
By exileKT8
ML scored at just over a run a ball but got them to 10 overs without losing any more wickets after struggling at 14/2 off 3 so I think he is in credit today. Bowled his full allocation at a reasonable 8 an over which included some loose balls in his last over but again a top order wicket to his name.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:09 pm ML scored at just over a run a ball but got them to 10 overs without losing any more wickets after struggling at 14/2 off 3 so I think he is in credit today. Bowled his full allocation at a reasonable 8 an over which included some loose balls in his last over but again a top order wicket to his name.
Agree. Useful all-rounder and should play. However they were getting into a bit of a hole when he and Heazlett were going at less than a run a ball between them. Peirson saved the day and it ended up as a good chase. Just saying that Marnus struggles a bit when there isn't any pace on the ball and it would be important to have a striker at the other end. He and Key dug too big a hole in an earlier game. A run-a-ball does not get you home in most T20s.
CC v Lancs (away)

We play Lancs from tomorrow (15th). The second el[…]

Return of crowds

Any thoughts on the return of crowds to The Count[…]

Nick Selman

How can he be anywhere near the 1st team, when his[…]

Glamorgan v Sussex

Are we foreseeing any changes in the side? Any new[…]