A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Bucksman
Perpetually plagued by injury of one sort or another over successive seasons, the nature of the final year of his current contract was about the last thing he needed.

Certainly an attacking and entertaining bat on his day, I feel we shall be left wondering what might have been!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52966461
By onemorerun
I saw his debut, I think, and he looked like a star of the future. Unfortunately, like eg Sales and Wakely, the potential was never quite fulfilled. Perhaps he was one of the many to suffer from being forced into the opener's role.

I'm sure I can remember him being quite an aggressive batsman at first, but he seems lately to have been regarded as a championship player, rarely chosen for T20 (like say Stephen Peters). Clubs these days want players who can compete for a place in all formats, understandable when money is limited.

It may be that he's already played his last match for us, as I can't see anything other than T20 being played this season, if that!
By Bucksman
onemorerun wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:24 pm
It may be that he's already played his last match for us, as I can't see anything other than T20 being played this season, if that!
I tend to agree, as it is difficult to envisage this proposed regional Championship taking place, due largely to concerns over the potential infection risks with hotel accommodation.

I wonder to what extent injury could possibly have undermined his confidence in his approach to the game. Although he played for twenty years, in some ways, you could draw a parallel with Mal Loye, another young player of enormous potential who ultimately underachieved due to a combination of injuries, misfortune and, arguably, questionable attitude.
Season 2020

With the cricket season delayed until at least the[…]