Let's look at the facts:
- we finshed a distant bottom in Divions 2 last year with just 2 wins and 10 losses. This year we finished 4th losing just 3 matches - I am not sure who can claim this is not an improvement?
- we made an excellent signing in Labuschagne who did what overseas batsmens are supposed to do - score lots of runs. Perhaps the issue is that we have not seen that consistency for a while.
- Our running scoring in the Championship was not just down to Labuschagne:
Cooke averaged 46 compared to 24 last year
Root averaged 37
Cullen averaged 35
Selman averaged 34 compared to 18 last year
Hemphrey averaged 32
Lloyd averaged 30
Last year only Khawaja and De Lange averaged over 30.
- One member of this forum keeps banging on about the fact Cullen should not have been replaced by Cooke. Cooke is the club captain and averaged 11 more than Cullen with the bat. He played a game in the 2s rather than coming straight back in and I think the whole thing was handled correctly. Cullen was given another chance at 3 but unfortunately failed. I hope we see more of him next season.
- We performed poorly in white ball cricket and that needs to be addressed but most of us here value the 4 day game more and if we can get promoted that brings with it the opportunity to recruit more effectively.
Occasionally the idea of a Wales XI keeps raising its ugly head. Again it comes from people who clearly have no understanding of how cricket in Wales works. I suggest they speak to people who know about these things. Go down to your local premier league club on a Saturday and find out what is going on. You might even get to chat to one or more of the Glamorgan players who are universally very polite and approachable young men. This is not the world of soccer stars. I do and that is where you learn about things, plus you can watch some of the potential stars of the future (for free).