A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By johnwales
#29272
Cloudy but dry on Monday, moderate rain for following three days.

Heavy rain on all four days at Gloucester ( Northants )

That scenario will give Northants promotion.
By Nick_Glam
#29273
Promotion was always a long shot anyway and at least we have solidified this season.

Hopefully we can improve the squad again over the winter and find the right overseas players.
User avatar
By Vetchetarian
#29274
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:13 am Promotion was always a long shot anyway and at least we have solidified this season.

Hopefully we can improve the squad again over the winter and find the right overseas players.
Promotion was a far off dream at the start of the season, in fact, it wasn't even considered a possibility. Staying off the bottom was the main priority. Promotion was for other teams to contemplate, and then achieve.

However, it didn't seem such " a long shot " when Glam sat at the top of the table. Remember those heady days. I took a photograph of the table, so I could show it to my grandkids. I still have it. :)

Then came the managerial blunder, ( in my opinion, others are available ), and it's been downhill ever since.

It could be said that Glam's goose was thoroughly Cooked. :)

Things could still change when the final matches are played. With the right set of results, Glam could still scrape 3rd place.

But it could have been so different.
By johnwales
#29275
Durham 89 All out. and 235 all out. Glamorgan 472 - 1 declared. We are definitely in with a chance …..

But yes it has been a good season; pity we did not perform so well in the white ball mode.
By Nick_Glam
#29276
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 am
However, it didn't seem such " a long shot " when Glam sat at the top of the table. Remember those heady days. I took a photograph of the table, so I could show it to my grandkids. I still have it. :)

Then came the managerial blunder, ( in my opinion, others are available ), and it's been downhill ever since.

It could be said that Glam's goose was thoroughly Cooked. :)

Things could still change when the final matches are played. With the right set of results, Glam could still scrape 3rd place.

But it could have been so different.
Nah, our players weren't good enough to go up. Lancashire gave us a good hiding because they have better players and MIddlesex also outplayed us twice. We were never likely to be able to perform consistently for the entire season and so it proved.

Cooke's return to form this season has actually been a big plus for us with him averaging 46 in the Championship.
User avatar
By Vetchetarian
#29278
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:53 pm
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 am
However, it didn't seem such " a long shot " when Glam sat at the top of the table. Remember those heady days. I took a photograph of the table, so I could show it to my grandkids. I still have it. :)

Then came the managerial blunder, ( in my opinion, others are available ), and it's been downhill ever since.

It could be said that Glam's goose was thoroughly Cooked. :)

Things could still change when the final matches are played. With the right set of results, Glam could still scrape 3rd place.

But it could have been so different.
Nah, our players weren't good enough to go up. Lancashire gave us a good hiding because they have better players and MIddlesex also outplayed us twice. We were never likely to be able to perform consistently for the entire season and so it proved.

Cooke's return to form this season has actually been a big plus for us with him averaging 46 in the Championship.
They were good enough to lead the table, though.
No doubting Lancashire's quality.
You are now posting in hindsight, and as we all know, that's an exact science. Earlier in the season, I stuck my neck out, made some observations, which were shot down, but we will never know what COULD have been had my wishes been followed. And that's the beauty of it all. :)
By Nick_Glam
#29279
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 pm
They were good enough to lead the table, though.
No doubting Lancashire's quality.
You are now posting in hindsight, and as we all know, that's an exact science. Earlier in the season, I stuck my neck out, made some observations, which were shot down, but we will never know what COULD have been had my wishes been followed. And that's the beauty of it all. :)
No, I don't recall ever saying that we were going to get promotion.

And they were good enough to lead the table based on a smaller number of games when we hadn't even played all of the other opposition. We weren't good enough to be consistent over the whole season. I think we all knew that we were punching above our weight.

And as for sticking your neck out, don't make me laugh. You knew very well that there was never any chance of Cooke having the captaincy taken away from him mid-season and of him being left out of the team. So then when we lost against players with better players, it was very easy for you to say, "Hey, I told you so." What you obviously couldn't say though was what specific things Lloyd had done as captain that were different from Cooke. Especially as so much of our success had been down to Labuschagne and Hogan and I don't think Lloyd can be considered responsible for their performances.

But you got yourself a little bit of attention which was no doubt your aim so full credit to you for that. :lol
User avatar
By Vetchetarian
#29281
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:25 pm
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 pm
They were good enough to lead the table, though.
No doubting Lancashire's quality.
You are now posting in hindsight, and as we all know, that's an exact science. Earlier in the season, I stuck my neck out, made some observations, which were shot down, but we will never know what COULD have been had my wishes been followed. And that's the beauty of it all. :)
No, I don't recall ever saying that we were going to get promotion.

And they were good enough to lead the table based on a smaller number of games when we hadn't even played all of the other opposition. We weren't good enough to be consistent over the whole season. I think we all knew that we were punching above our weight.

And as for sticking your neck out, don't make me laugh. You knew very well that there was never any chance of Cooke having the captaincy taken away from him mid-season and of him being left out of the team. So then when we lost against players with better players, it was very easy for you to say, "Hey, I told you so." What you obviously couldn't say though was what specific things Lloyd had done as captain that were different from Cooke. Especially as so much of our success had been down to Labuschagne and Hogan and I don't think Lloyd can be considered responsible for their performances.

But you got yourself a little bit of attention which was no doubt your aim so full credit to you for that. :lol
Oh dear.

At no time have I ever posted that you said Glam would be promoted. You just made that up.

I think we all felt Glam were punching above their weight, but most, if not all, who regularly post here, began to dream. Nothing wrong with that.

I was the only poster to query Cooke's return, so I DID STICK MY NECK OUT. I was criticised, and ridiculed for that. As your recent offering indicates, I still am. My opinion hasn't changed, and neither you, nor anyone else, can prove my opinion to be lacking in validity.

So, now we know. Having an opinion which is not necessarily shared by others is " attention seeking " then ? What are YOU now doing ?

The purpose of this and any other forum is open discussion where opinions can be aired, and WITHOUT fear of insult, abuse, etc. My opinions are just that - my opinions. You don't have to agree with me. If my opinions cause you any discomfort, then don't read them. Simple.

Oh, and I don't need any " credit ". My Bank account is overflowing. :)
By Nick_Glam
#29282
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 am The purpose of this and any other forum is open discussion where opinions can be aired, and WITHOUT fear of insult, abuse, etc. My opinions are just that - my opinions. You don't have to agree with me. If my opinions cause you any discomfort, then don't read them. Simple.
Absolutely. Nobody has insulted or abused.

But I don't think you can really blame me for being amused at how quickly you have proved the point I made a couple of weeks ago...

When we lost a couple of games your position was, "We could compete with the minor counties."

Now that we've won a game your position is, "We could have been promoted to Division One."

I'm sure you can see the obvious contradiction and why I find it difficult to believe that you actually mean everything that you post. That does come across as attention seeking to me, but if you dislike that interpretation then I apologize.

Anyway, as I said a few days ago we are all Glamorgan fans so no point in squabbling amongst ourselves. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
By glamman
#29284
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 am
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:13 am Promotion was always a long shot anyway and at least we have solidified this season.

Hopefully we can improve the squad again over the winter and find the right overseas players.
Promotion was a far off dream at the start of the season, in fact, it wasn't even considered a possibility. Staying off the bottom was the main priority. Promotion was for other teams to contemplate, and then achieve.

However, it didn't seem such " a long shot " when Glam sat at the top of the table. Remember those heady days. I took a photograph of the table, so I could show it to my grandkids. I still have it. :)

Then came the managerial blunder, ( in my opinion, others are available ), and it's been downhill ever since.

It could be said that Glam's goose was thoroughly Cooked. :)

Things could still change when the final matches are played. With the right set of results, Glam could still scrape 3rd place.

But it could have been so different.
I thought you had said you weren't going to raise this again!
By Bubbles
#29286
Is it any wonder that there are so few people that post on this website?
A forum is a site where you can post within reason your thoughts on Glamorgan and cricket in Wales. Come on guys say what you think! The self appointed forum police will have their say and highlight every word that they wish but if you say what you think brilliant. Let's make this forum fun!
It's boring reading 23 for 1 or 46 for 4. Let's have a laugh. We all love Glammy but really do have to endure some poor cricket and we must feel free to air our thoughts but please do not become abusive or face the wrath! Happy end of season and hope you all winter well! :drunk: :dance: :evillaugh:
Vetchetarian liked this
By Nick_Glam
#29287
The weather forecast still looks rather dodgy for the next few days, but will be interesting to see which XI we go with. I presume that Cullen and one of the seamers will miss out.

Will also be interesting to see who will be offered a new contract and who will be released.
User avatar
By Vetchetarian
#29288
glamman wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:05 am
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 am
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:13 am Promotion was always a long shot anyway and at least we have solidified this season.

Hopefully we can improve the squad again over the winter and find the right overseas players.
Promotion was a far off dream at the start of the season, in fact, it wasn't even considered a possibility. Staying off the bottom was the main priority. Promotion was for other teams to contemplate, and then achieve.

However, it didn't seem such " a long shot " when Glam sat at the top of the table. Remember those heady days. I took a photograph of the table, so I could show it to my grandkids. I still have it. :)

Then came the managerial blunder, ( in my opinion, others are available ), and it's been downhill ever since.

It could be said that Glam's goose was thoroughly Cooked. :)

Things could still change when the final matches are played. With the right set of results, Glam could still scrape 3rd place.

But it could have been so different.
I thought you had said you weren't going to raise this again!
I didn't " raise " it. I responded. Wake up, stop thinking. It's clearly bad for you. :)
User avatar
By Vetchetarian
#29289
Nick_Glam wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:47 am
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 am The purpose of this and any other forum is open discussion where opinions can be aired, and WITHOUT fear of insult, abuse, etc. My opinions are just that - my opinions. You don't have to agree with me. If my opinions cause you any discomfort, then don't read them. Simple.
Absolutely. Nobody has insulted or abused.

But I don't think you can really blame me for being amused at how quickly you have proved the point I made a couple of weeks ago...

When we lost a couple of games your position was, "We could compete with the minor counties."

Now that we've won a game your position is, "We could have been promoted to Division One."

I'm sure you can see the obvious contradiction and why I find it difficult to believe that you actually mean everything that you post. That does come across as attention seeking to me, but if you dislike that interpretation then I apologize.

Anyway, as I said a few days ago we are all Glamorgan fans so no point in squabbling amongst ourselves. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
By way of clarity, I have on numerous occasions prior to this season ,suggested that Glam would struggle in the Minor Counties. In fact, they are/were very lucky that relegation doesn't come into play in the Second Division of the County Championship.

Whilst sitting in the top three, Glam " could have been promoted to Division One ". That's true, isn't it ? Where's the untruth there ?

I'm not " squabbling " with anyone. I merely respond to those who feel the need to score some points against me. Points scoring is such a juvenile practice, a waste of time and energy.

" We are all Glamorgan fans ". Well, you got that right anyway. :)
The first two players released

Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirement[…]