A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
Great to see the Irish performing so well and backed up :joy: :dance: :dance: :dance: by hundreds of green shirts and caps in the crowd. A fantastic occasion for the Irish and their proactive cricket board. Brilliant to have the opportunity to support your country at the home of cricket
By Nick_Glam
Great stuff from Ireland...

It doesn't change the fact that seeing the likes of Carlson and Salter trying to play international cricket would be an embarrassment at the moment though. :shhh:
By Bubbles
Hi Nick,
I bet the Irish boys playing 10 years ago never dreamt this could happen. We should be working as hard as the Irish cricket board to develop our own Welsh team. As we know all too well the ECB funding streams ensure that Glammy and the Welsh Cricket Board hang on for their lives. However, I have heard that Sport Wales a major funding stream also are looking at their contribution and are worried by the decline in recreational cricket in Wales. Take away the All stars and ladies softball cricket and you will see the true picture. Change is needed!!–
:hug:
By Bucksman
At least Tim Murtagh's grandfather was Irish, and I well remember his uncle Andy playing for Hampshire in the 1970s. I have often wondered, though, why his admirable consistency over the years for Middlesex was overlooked by England!
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:35 pm Hi Nick,
I bet the Irish boys playing 10 years ago never dreamt this could happen. We should be working as hard as the Irish cricket board to develop our own Welsh team. As we know all too well the ECB funding streams ensure that Glammy and the Welsh Cricket Board hang on for their lives. However, I have heard that Sport Wales a major funding stream also are looking at their contribution and are worried by the decline in recreational cricket in Wales. Take away the All stars and ladies softball cricket and you will see the true picture. Change is needed!!–
:hug:
There will not be a Welsh team. There is already an England and Wales team. Why do people keep raising this nonsense?
By Bubbles
You have your opinion I have mine.

Lots and lots of people are fed up to the back teeth of Glamorgan no success no money no supporters who pay their way! Old people scared of change and looking after their own interests. Time for a change and shake up of Welsh cricket. If you want to hear the box pop I suggest you visit your local cricket club and ask their opinion. Respect your opinion but it is yours and yours only. :yes:
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm You have your opinion I have mine.

Lots and lots of people are fed up to the back teeth of Glamorgan no success no money no supporters who pay their way! Old people scared of change and looking after their own interests. Time for a change and shake up of Welsh cricket. If you want to hear the box pop I suggest you visit your local cricket club and ask their opinion. Respect your opinion but it is yours and yours only. :yes:
It just shows a complete lack of understanding as to how top level cricket works in Wales and while this might be attractive to some it certainly isn't to the elite Welsh cricketers who you would want to play in your team.
Ireland doing very well today but most of their top players have benefited from the county system and I am not sure how they will fair in the future when Ireland players will have to play as overseas players in County Cricket. I understand Stirling among others will be dropping out of the International game and registering as a Kolpak. When we leave the EU I am not sure how that option will be affected?
Welsh players will not be wanting to play for Wales against Germany if they are good enough to ge a county contract and you will just be forcing them to move to England. I can guarantee they will.
By Bubbles
Again I note your comments but fail to comprehend how you can speak for professional cricketers. Most if given the option excluding money would prefer to play for Wales rather than Glamorgan. Again you are putting up hurdles when not needed. Your example of playing in Germany probably shows how out of touch you are. April in Berlin or a cold afternoon in Derby? I do not think we will ever agree on this subject but at present it is solely based on money. In the future government money and ICC money and the prospect of sponsors buying in to supporting their country rather than a broken down not respected county cricket team. Change is needed and believe me the Tom Tom drums are getting louder!! The sight of how well Ireland have done will further enhance the call for international cricket and welcome on board a host of private investm :dance: :dance: :talktothehand: ent.
By Nick_Glam
Bubbles wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 pm Again I note your comments but fail to comprehend how you can speak for professional cricketers. Most if given the option excluding money would prefer to play for Wales rather than Glamorgan. Again you are putting up hurdles when not needed. Your example of playing in Germany probably shows how out of touch you are. April in Berlin or a cold afternoon in Derby? I do not think we will ever agree on this subject but at present it is solely based on money. In the future government money and ICC money and the prospect of sponsors buying in to supporting their country rather than a broken down not respected county cricket team. Change is needed and believe me the Tom Tom drums are getting louder!! The sight of how well Ireland have done will further enhance the call for international cricket and welcome on board a host of private investm :dance: :dance: :talktothehand: ent.
Hmmm.

I can understand that in a perfect world there would be a successful Wales international side. Unfortunately we live in the real world...

The county has "broken down" over the past few years, but a big reason for that is that the vast majority of Welsh players haven't been good enough. I think there is more to be positive about this season, and we command more respect, but the key players are all non-Welsh.

I also can't see the Welsh public getting too excited about a possible team going to play the likes of Jersey and Norway (as Craig Meschede did recently).
By glamman
In October last year Cricket Ireland was kept afloat through a €100,000 loan from its Chief Executive - hardly financial bliss.
Associate member teams are being squeezed into playing mainly T20 cricket so I guess if that's your preferred format a Wales team might be for you. They do not look likely to be playing any part in the 50-over World Cup in future.
If you can find me a young Welsh cricketer either involved or on the way to becoming involved in professional cricket whose ambition is to play for Wales rather than England and Wales then I will defer to your greater knowledge on the subject.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:25 pm
Bubbles wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 pm Again I note your comments but fail to comprehend how you can speak for professional cricketers. Most if given the option excluding money would prefer to play for Wales rather than Glamorgan. Again you are putting up hurdles when not needed. Your example of playing in Germany probably shows how out of touch you are. April in Berlin or a cold afternoon in Derby? I do not think we will ever agree on this subject but at present it is solely based on money. In the future government money and ICC money and the prospect of sponsors buying in to supporting their country rather than a broken down not respected county cricket team. Change is needed and believe me the Tom Tom drums are getting louder!! The sight of how well Ireland have done will further enhance the call for international cricket and welcome on board a host of private investm :dance: :dance: :talktothehand: ent.
Hmmm.

I can understand that in a perfect world there would be a successful Wales international side. Unfortunately we live in the real world...

The county has "broken down" over the past few years, but a big reason for that is that the vast majority of Welsh players haven't been good enough. I think there is more to be positive about this season, and we command more respect, but the key players are all non-Welsh.

I also can't see the Welsh public getting too excited about a possible team going to play the likes of Jersey and Norway (as Craig Meschede did recently).
Probably the main reason was Paul Russell and his mad spending on the stadium while the cricketing side of the organisation was left to meander. When Maynard left we were going in the right direction and it was downhill from there.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:13 am
Probably the main reason was Paul Russell and his mad spending on the stadium while the cricketing side of the organisation was left to meander. When Maynard left we were going in the right direction and it was downhill from there.
Sure, no argument there.

But another big reason (and not unconnected) is that we had substandard players thrown into the team.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:41 am
glamman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:13 am
Sure, no argument there.

But another big reason (and not unconnected) is that we had substandard players thrown into the team.
We had some of the best young crickieters in the country - O'Shea, Wright etc but we failed to develop them.
By glamman
The steady procession of Irish batsmen back to the pavilion today is much like the scene at the Oval last night. No great surprise - Only a small target but was always going to be very difficult for Irish batsmen who are not up to the same standard as their bowling.

Darren Stevens will leave Kent at the end of the s[…]

Full title 'Race and Pace' the West Indian in East[…]

Leicestershire

NOTICE THAT THE FINAL MEMBERS FORUM IS SCHEDULED […]

Berg is back!

At 38 years of age, it is perhaps not entirely cle[…]