A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Glamorgan have signed a 29 year old Queensland batsman, Charlie Hemphrey, I assume with a British Passport. Top order batsman who has developed late on. At least some more competition for batting slots.
Question now is will we have an overseas batsman if Marsh not available.
I quite enjoy predicting the line up for the 1st Championship game as a guide to what we might expect to see on the field:
Selman or Murphy
Hemphrey
Marsh or AN Other or Murphy
Carlson
Root
Lloyd
Cooke
Salter - problem is no obvious part-time spin options that I can see anywhere else in the order
TvdG
De Lange
Hogan

Batting line up does not look full of runs, especially without Marsh or an equivalent. I assume the bowlers will hold sway early season.

Expect to see Maynard in charge for at least most of the season. Would have been good to get the head coach post clarified earlier as it potentially delays the sorting out of the rest of the staff. I assume the coach will want some say on who he is working with.
By Ger27
Has Hemphrey ever opened the batting? Seems to have been more of a number 4/5?

If that's the case, then we need an opener plus a Marsh cover.
By Nick_Glam
I notice that Marsh has been omitted from Australia's team for the next game. Obviously too early to say how that will impact on us...

Hemphrey seems a sensible signing and a much-needed one. I wouldn't say that batting lineup looks particularly strong, but maybe it might be at least competitive.
By TWrex
Having been released by Kent aged 19 & disappearing from the first class scene for a number of years before resurfacing in Australia I am sure you have signed a real fighter. Well done to Charlie for such determination & good luck to him & Glamorgan for the coming season.
Nick_Glam liked this
By exileKT8
Agree any addition to the Batting is welcome. Glass half full approach from TWrex which I hope proves right. A glass half empty approach might say that a signing from Aussie State cricket so great these days. County bowling attacks with their Kolpaks and Overseas are arguably stronger. Still let`s hope he can make runs in Div 2, and he is probably at the cheaper end of the market.

Does this mean that Cook will not be coming back ?

Root and Hemphrey are welcome signings but don`t address the need for an experienced / reliable opener and there is the issue of next season`s overseas still unresolved. The ESPN article two days ago on the Aussie squad suggests Marsh`s Test days are over but he is still in their current 50 over squad. Sorry for repeating myself on here but the World Cup runs from 30th May to July 14th. We need an overseas bat for the whole season. Assuming Warner and Smith return who knows but Khawaja seems to have secured his place at the moment so we can forget him. I just see Cricket Australia calling Marsh up as injury cover during the Ashes.

And I want a leg spinner for the 1 days, I won`t hold my breath.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:35 pm
Agree any addition to the Batting is welcome. Glass half full approach from TWrex which I hope proves right. A glass half empty approach might say that a signing from Aussie State cricket so great these days. County bowling attacks with their Kolpaks and Overseas are arguably stronger. Still let`s hope he can make runs in Div 2, and he is probably at the cheaper end of the market.

Does this mean that Cook will not be coming back ?

Root and Hemphrey are welcome signings but don`t address the need for an experienced / reliable opener and there is the issue of next season`s overseas still unresolved. The ESPN article two days ago on the Aussie squad suggests Marsh`s Test days are over but he is still in their current 50 over squad. Sorry for repeating myself on here but the World Cup runs from 30th May to July 14th. We need an overseas bat for the whole season. Assuming Warner and Smith return who knows but Khawaja seems to have secured his place at the moment so we can forget him. I just see Cricket Australia calling Marsh up as injury cover during the Ashes.

And I want a leg spinner for the 1 days, I won`t hold my breath.
I'm sure it won't be too long before we see 5 leg spinners make up a bowling attack in T20 :no:
By hujon64
Just catching up on here re recent signing of Hemphrey which looks promising - more mature, experience in Australia, able to bat in top 4 (Hugh Morris interview) maybe the important No 3 slot. Apparently arranged over several months by Maynard (with the help and advice of Khawaja) who certainly has lots of contacts and has made shrewd signings before eg Dalrymple and Allenby. With Root and the possibility of Marsh being available looks a little more promising. Of course, a top order, recognised batsman and another spinner would be advantageous but still need to encourage our youngsters and no pot of gold. Some good performances by some of them last year but more competition now and they need to cement places. With changes at top and coach, wonder if Donald regrets his move! If our bowlers can remain fit, feel a little more optimistic for 2019!
By glamman
As far as Donald goes, if he was unhappy the best for everyone is to move on. I suspect the change of coach will have a positive impact on most players' state of mind. If it had come earlier the question of whether Donald might have stayed and been successful will never be answered. The premise for him is the same wherever he plays- hit the red thing being thrown at you, ideally along the ground.

Interestingly he is playing in the same team as Selman in Queensland this winter.

Connor Brown scoring runs quite consistently for UNSW 2nds - blocked from getting in their 1st XI as they already have Harry Brook as an overseas who is doing well. Marchant De Lange just seems to have had a T20 contract in S Africa so has not played first class cricket since Dec 9th.

Not sure what Salter is doing in New Zealand. I think the only other player away at the moment is Smith who is training in South Africa. Good to see him getting some competitive cricket over the winter with Scotland.
By johnwales
New Zealand is the team of the moment. There top five batsmen probably have no equals in world cricket in all formats. They have the best captain in the world, and are my favourites to win the world cup
By glamman
johnwales wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 pm
New Zealand is the team of the moment. There top five batsmen probably have no equals in world cricket in all formats. They have the best captain in the world, and are my favourites to win the world cup
Cannot really argue wth that assessment. Currently third in the rankings a little way behind England and India both of whom must also be in with a shout. White ball cricket is never a foregone conclusion and a couple of magical performances from individuals can win a game.
By glamman
Discovered Salter playing for a different club this winter in Wellington. Has played 9 games scoring 219 runs at 24.3 with HS of 81 and taken 8 wickets as 23.1. Hopefully another winter with Jeetan Patel will again be beneficial.
By JamesH
glamman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm
As far as Donald goes, if he was unhappy the best for everyone is to move on. I suspect the change of coach will have a positive impact on most players' state of mind. If it had come earlier the question of whether Donald might have stayed and been successful will never be answered. The premise for him is the same wherever he plays- hit the red thing being thrown at you, ideally along the ground.

Interestingly he is playing in the same team as Selman in Queensland this winter.

Connor Brown scoring runs quite consistently for UNSW 2nds - blocked from getting in their 1st XI as they already have Harry Brook as an overseas who is doing well. Marchant De Lange just seems to have had a T20 contract in S Africa so has not played first class cricket since Dec 9th.

Not sure what Salter is doing in New Zealand. I think the only other player away at the moment is Smith who is training in South Africa. Good to see him getting some competitive cricket over the winter with Scotland.

Perhaps even more interestingly, Selman has outscored Donald in the first grade competition. Donald has been opening, Selman batting at 3.

------------------Selman------Donald
Played---------13-------------12
Runs-----------451------------370
Average-------41-------------30.83
Top Score-----80*------------59
By glamman
JamesH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:25 am
glamman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Perhaps even more interestingly, Selman has outscored Donald in the first grade competition. Donald has been opening, Selman batting at 3.

------------------Selman------Donald
Played---------13-------------12
Runs-----------451------------370
Average-------41-------------30.83
Top Score-----80*------------59
The recent games have been T20s in which Donald opens and Selman bats 3. In the 2 day games Selman opens and Donald bats 3. I am not sure that either of them played in any of the 50 over matches.

In the longer format Selkman has 132 runs @ 26.4 and Donald has 194 runs @ 48.5. Averages in T20 don't mean much.
By hujon64
Thanks glamman for the winter updates. Keep them coming as interested in how those overseas are faring.

How will it effect sport, many players in Soccer &[…]

IPL 2019 Live TV Channels List

Star Sports to communicate live inclusion of IPL &[…]

Match Prediction Of IPL 2019 We all know that IPL[…]

ICC World Cup 2019 Live Streaming, Live Cricket Wo[…]