A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Countyman
Oh well, the usual start from the top order, whatever the outcome of the toss, but can we really expect much else now? Is anyone capable of producing the application required to provide some form of backbone to this team?

Judging by the composition of the team, it looks as though we've finally thrown in the towel!
By Den Buckett
Just the 25 wickets in the day.

If we are put in Div 1 next season the authorities should be charged with cruelty to supporters. :mrgreen:
By Countyman
All is not lost just yet - we managed, at least, to avoid an innings defeat on day one! Thanks Rips for everything and best of luck, Mr Sadler - you're going to need every ounce that might come your way...
By Shortlegs
What an awful, embarassing way to end the season. Haven't seen the stream, but I imagine the ball and pitch is doing quite a lot. Even so, it looks like a gutless capitulation, with the exception of Procter (once again). Some good moments, but overall a disappointing season.
By Countyman
This pitiful effort seems to about sum up what must be our weakest performing side in living memory (apart from the few scattered high points we did witness) and, at present, it is difficult to envisage much in the way of improvement without the introduction of proven batsmen from outside.

Huge credit goes to the absent (for this final outing) Ben Sanderson, in particular, for his unceasing efforts throughout the season, but he can do only so much to keep a struggling side afloat. I can't begin to imagine why Cobb was playing, with apparently so little to offer, but, in the context of this result, I suppose no one else was likely to make much difference.

The club and the Sadler team have much to ponder over the coming months!

Note for posterity...

Speculation persists among cricket statisticians all over England as to where exactly Northamptonshire's embarrassing capitulation this morning at Chelmsford ranks in the history of shortest County Championship matches.

Their lowest Championship score in 75 years: Bowled out for just 45 half an hour into the fourth session to lose by an innings to an Essex side who had only made 170!
By Longsuffering
What a great shame for the County to finish the season with such a disastrous performance. There seemed a general lack of application by our batsman despite the pitch offering a lot of help to the bowlers. John Sadler, the newly appointed head coach, has a major task facing him for next season. This is despite him being quoted on the clubs web site saying “I feel the club is in a really good place and ready to kick on even further” Really or is he being delusional!
By Countyman
Longsuffering wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:36 pm John Sadler, the newly appointed head coach, has a major task facing him for next season. This is despite him being quoted on the clubs web site saying “I feel the club is in a really good place and ready to kick on even further” Really or is he being delusional!
Delusional - or feels unable to admit publicly the measures that need to be taken!
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]