A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
What was the name of the teenage batsman who Maynard mentioned earlier in the season?

I want to say Harry Field, but I think he was a character in Inspector Morse! :doh:
hujon64 liked this
By hujon64
Nick_Glam

Harry Friend, a pupil at Monmouth School, I think. Steve James tweeted this morning that 4 boys from there are playing for the Glamorgan Academy in a game shortly - I think Steve James coaches there (as an ex pupil???) and at the Glamorgan Academy so, with Maynard, would expect high class Level 4 coaching from those two batting internationals and Wallace, another Level 4 on the wicket-keeping. Hopefully, we will reap some rewards in a few year’s time but patience needed to give the youngsters and coaches a chance. Enjoy following the up and coming youngsters but not sure who’s in the Academy.
Nick_Glam liked this
By Ger27
Is it the case that all counties will be operating with smaller squads next year? If so, I guess the knock-on impact on the Second XI championship is that it will be played by teams with a lower average age than has previously been the case.

I'm guessing that Glamorgan's Second XI will have been quite a bit older than it's opposition in previous years - may not be the case next year, which I don't think is a bad thing. Wouldn't you want to be in a position where half of your second XI are still in their teens, or is the gulf in class between age grade and 2nd XI cricket too big?
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm Is it the case that all counties will be operating with smaller squads next year? If so, I guess the knock-on impact on the Second XI championship is that it will be played by teams with a lower average age than has previously been the case.

I'm guessing that Glamorgan's Second XI will have been quite a bit older than it's opposition in previous years - may not be the case next year, which I don't think is a bad thing. Wouldn't you want to be in a position where half of your second XI are still in their teens, or is the gulf in class between age grade and 2nd XI cricket too big?
The 2nd team has been quite young over the last few years with a mix of squad players, triallists and youngsters eg Horton was playing last year. Will be the same next year although with fewer squad players.
By glamman
BBC website reports that Wagg has been offered a new contract. Would be odd if it is for more than a year but who knows. Performances have been variable and I do not see him in the red ball side.
By Nick_Glam
I'm not all that surprised that Wagg might stay, but I can't say it thrills me either.

In the Championship he shouldn't really be considered unless we have 3 or 4 injuries.

And it's debatable whether he should be playing in the shorter forms...
By glamman
Wagg gives energy in the field but quality variable. Had a nightmare on Friday.

Tough on Walker to be the only fit player not to get a game this season with an unchanged side today.
By Jenks33
Great win today and nice to finish the season on a positive note. It’s been another tough season but there have been some positives. Callum Taylor and Sisodiya have shown real promise and Cooke and Lloyd have batted well. We really missed Lloyd when he was injured. I think we’ve generally bowled well as a team, the batting was certainly the issue in the county Championship.

The biggest downer for me this season has been Carlson’s form. 13 innings in all comps this season and apart from his 79 v Worcester in the 2nd match he only managed 40 odd runs in the other 12 innings. When he made that 58 at the oval a couple of years ago in a T20 match live on sky I think we all had really high hopes for the boy. He just hasn’t come on at all though. He’s still only 22 so he’s got plenty of time on his side but if he has another tough summer next year then it’s tough to see him coming back from that.
By JamesH
Owen Morgan not offered a new contract.

Another player who was an okay batsman and an okay bowler. He didn't excel at either and it's good to see we are no longer keeping players contracted on 'potential'.

Best of luck to him and the others, and hopefully they take a load of wickets and score a ton of runs in the welsh prem next year.
By Jenks33
I don’t think Morgan can have too many complaints. Maybe he didn’t get as many opportunities as some others but when he was given opportunities he just didn’t take them. Didn’t he score a ton on his debut v Worcester? We never really saw much from him after that. Dropping Babar the other night summed up his summer.
By JamesH
Jenks33 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:24 am I don’t think Morgan can have too many complaints. Maybe he didn’t get as many opportunities as some others but when he was given opportunities he just didn’t take them. Didn’t he score a ton on his debut v Worcester? We never really saw much from him after that. Dropping Babar the other night summed up his summer.

I remember that knock for the partnership with Donald, AD scored 50 odd in no time at all!
By glamman
Listening to Maynard’s post match interview it sounds like Lloyd will be opening next season in 4 day cricket. Hopefully that does not have a negative impact. Assume Hemphrey will be released. That might be the last as I assume Hogan will get another year.
By Nick_Glam
Yes, I was interesting to see the comments about Lloyd opening next year.

If that's the case, I think we still need to bring in another batsman but it would at least mean we would have more freedom in who we targeted.
T20 for 2020

The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gl[…]

Glam v Worcs

Unbelievable and so exciting. Thought we were down[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]