A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
My guess is the starting XI will have as much experience in it as possible for a huge challenge against Somerset. Lloyd a big loss and not sure who will bat 3. Difficult to know who performed well in the warm ups. Contenders must include Taylor and Cooke or maybe Cullen.
My guess
Selman
Hemphrey
????????
Root
Carlson
Cooke
Douthwaite
Smith
De Lange
Bull
Hogan

Whoever plays, hope they go well.
By Nick_Glam
Yeah, that seems about right. Will be a bit harsh on Carey to miss out, but they will probably go for the ones on big money.

Taylor has had a couple of decent knocks in pre-season, but none of the possible replacements for Lloyd really fill me with confidence.

It will be a very tough game, but good to have some cricket to watch again (albeit online).
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:11 am Yeah, that seems about right. Will be a bit harsh on Carey to miss out, but they will probably go for the ones on big money.

Taylor has had a couple of decent knocks in pre-season, but none of the possible replacements for Lloyd really fill me with confidence.

It will be a very tough game, but good to have some cricket to watch again (albeit online).
The batting is certainly a concern and noone really fits the number 3 job description. Hopefully one of the youngsters will step up.
Two away games to start may benefit Glamorgan supporters as hopefully spectators will be permitted to the Gloucs game.
By glamman
So Carlson gets the number 3 slot. Am not sure he is ideally suited but wish him well. It's been a problem position in the past but last year's number 3 didn't have a bad season.
By exileKT8
Best of luck to the Boys tomorrow, especially the batsmen. Let`s hope the experience of facing Div 1 attacks with a red ball brings some of our young batters on.
By glamman
Report in Daily Mail that Jamie Overton has moved to Surrey although he is named in Somerset squad for today. Not great timing for Somerset.
By Welwyn
I was about to say that Wagg was wasting all our nice containing work and Byrom plays on off him!
By Nick_Glam
A dire first over from Wagg and yet somehow it ends with a wicket.

The first hour had otherwise gone pretty much as expected. Hogan was typically accurate and could still get wickets in the right conditions, Smith was a little more erratic and de Lange has bowled a couple of dangerous deliveries.
By glamman
The openers kept it pretty tight so there was a bit of pressure building. De Lange bowling quickly.

Slightly surprised no Taylor but Douthwaite must be considered a better batting option. Don't need his bowling but is a bonus. Wagg remains a favourite of Maynard but hope to see him giving way to some of the youngsters later on in the campaign.

Disappointing that only 3 home developed players in the team, Taylor would have made it 4.
By glamman
My team selection did not include Wagg and I have not changed my mind. Would rather have seen Taylor. Would save Wagg for T20 if he is going to play at all.
By exileKT8
Better than I feared at 11am, well done the first three bowlers. Glamman you have often held out hope that Smith will come good, he was certainly good at Richmond in T20 two years ago, let`s hope he gets an injury free future. The first 53.3 overs were excellent and not for the first time Glammy let an opposition escape with 8 down. Well done too to the openers for seeing out a difficult 7 overs. As they are without Bess and Leach I assume its not a turning wicket, let`s keep Brooks out of the game tomorrow and get as close to them as we can.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:34 pm Better than I feared at 11am, well done the first three bowlers. Glamman you have often held out hope that Smith will come good, he was certainly good at Richmond in T20 two years ago, let`s hope he gets an injury free future. The first 53.3 overs were excellent and not for the first time Glammy let an opposition escape with 8 down. Well done too to the openers for seeing out a difficult 7 overs. As they are without Bess and Leach I assume its not a turning wicket, let`s keep Brooks out of the game tomorrow and get as close to them as we can.
I'm afraid Smith's bad luck with injuries looks like continuing. Shame as he was bowling with good pace.
By Shamu
After months and months of strength and conditioning ahead of a condensed playing programme - Smith hobbles off injured after bowling 14 overs. Some bodies are just not able to contend with the rigours of fast bowling.

With Hogan and Wagg both fast approaching their 40’s, and De Lange allegedly not returning after the end of next season, the cupboard looks rather bare !
By Nick_Glam
I didn't watch the entire day, but from what I saw I was pretty impressed with our bowlers. That's the best that I have seen de Lange bowl for a long time and he could have had more wickets.

I still expect it to be a very tough game for us due to Somerset's quality, but hopefully we can continue to compete.
Worcestershire

Interesting to see TvdG back in the squad for this[…]

Somerset

The visitors win the toss, as they would! Glover,[…]