A forum for Kent CCC fans
By TWrex
I would like to report on yesterday's event, but I cannot as I wasn't able to connect through the link in the e-mail I received. Mind you judging by the timing of the tweet from Sam Billings it didn't last too long. As we don't know how long the lockdown will go on I expect any talk about possible cricket action in 2020 could have only been conjecture. Though the financial implications for the club and its employees would have been of interest.
By Kent Cricket Lover
Hi,

I logged in. Session lasted 90 minutes.
As you suggest until the virus restrictions can be lifted we won't know what cricket we will get - if any. No firm decisions yet made by ECB but seems RLODC and Country Championship will now be lost. As it is a major revenue source, every effort will be made to try and get T20 played - even if season is extended into October. Need some content for Sky to protect vital revenue flow. Expectation that Hundred will be delayed until 2021. ECB are releasing funds to the county clubs which is in effect a repayable loan. Club having positive discussions with Canterbury City Council about rescheduling loan repayments but at time of the forum nothing yet agreed. It was mentioned that Canterbury CC also have revenue issues with the collapse of visitor numbers impacting on car parking revenue etc.
Club office is closed. Club shop is closed but can order items via internet.
Was an update on overseas signings. With the delay to start of season Matt Henry won't now be coming. Nabi remains lined up for any T20 cricket. Club did have another T20 bowling option but offer has been withdrawn.
A useful forum. The chairman indicated that over 200 had signed in. Suggestion was made that they may have another online forum at future date if start of season gets further delayed.
gmdf liked this
By TWrex
Thanks very much for that update. As much as I prefer the Championship & 50 over matches, it is completely understandable that games covered by the tv contract take priority to preserve income. Hopefully a little 4 day cricket can take place even if only a couple of games between traditional rivals. Kent could play Essex in the bridge challenge home & away, a couple of roses matches, I'm sure all counties have a particular rival they could meet, or some practice for touring sides. Obviously it is not very high on the list that cricket has to worry about, but it would be nice to see a little bit of live cricket played in whites in whites in 2020. Good luck everyone, lets hope this situation is over as soon as safely possible.
By gmdf
I would just add to Kent Cricket Lover's very full report (thanks for that!), that whilst there may well /almost certainly won't be a County Championship as we normally have, there was a definite desire to play some red ball cricket, possibly games against neighbouring teams both for the members & supporters who like red ball cricket, but also to ensure players in line for selection for any Test matches have the chance to play some 'first class' cricket.

So , TWrex, your wish may come true! (For what it's worth I fear there won't be any cricket this season. Hope I'm wrong... :shock: )
By TWrex
Good to hear there may be some red ball cricket. Like gmdf I am fearing there will be no cricket at all, but thinking that will mean that anything will be a bonus. The biggest bonus for all of us will to be still around to enjoy the 2021 season. Its being so cheerful that keeps me going.
gmdf liked this
By Kent Cricket Lover
Something I forgot to mention is that option of playing games behind closed doors is on the table. If the match is not on Sky and providing no contract restrictions, we should be able to view the game online with commentary.
By gmdf
It was mentioned, but I can't see it happening at grounds such as Canterbury, Beckenham or TW (maybe at more 'stadium like' grounds it could work - but the number of people involved with might make it not sensible.
Season 2020

With the cricket season delayed until at least the[…]