A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
With the cricket season delayed until at least the end of May a lot of Glamorgan members are seeking refunds on their memberships. What provision are Glamorgam making to do this with possibly only white ball cricket on offer?
I have watched the CEO's statement and it appears to me that he is looking for the ECB to bail them out yet again! Why can't the company stand on its own two feet like many other businesses to keep the club's afloat.Players and coaches and employees could go on unpaid leave until such time that they can return. This is the measures other companies have had to face?
By Den Buckett
I do have some sympathy for them on this occasion. Nobody could have expected anything like this to happen when they were giving players contracts for next season. There is a good chance there will be no season at all which I'm sure all counties will struggle to cope with. The only good thing would be no complications with titles, promotions and relegations if the season doesn't even start.
By Nick_Glam
Why should players, coaches and employees go on unpaid leave? They are hardly millionaires...

Of course Glamorgan will need the ECB and the government to assist them at this time. At a time like this people shouldn't be trying to stick the knife in.
By Bubbles
The vast majority of the country are not millionaires and do not have a governing body to fall back on. They can apply for universal credit like many other people have to and learn to live in the real world. I know it's hard for everyone but self employed people do not get paid if they are not working and I know plenty of employed people who have been laid off because ther is no money. Glamorgan are no different.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 pm The vast majority of the country are not millionaires and do not have a governing body to fall back on. They can apply for universal credit like many other people have to and learn to live in the real world. I know it's hard for everyone but self employed people do not get paid if they are not working and I know plenty of employed people who have been laid off because ther is no money. Glamorgan are no different.
They are not self-employed!
By Bubbles
As predicted the ECB are prepared to bail out Glamorgan and it will be interesting to see who benefits from this windfall. Will it be the lowest of the low or the highest of the high? In business terms Glamorgan cannot run a business and take away ECB and Sport Wales money would barely survive on £330k membership revenue. Local businesses do not come near as they know the position and if it was not for the "Sugar Daddy" that is the ECB the county would not survive. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
By TWrex
The season starts on Sunday with Kent v Sussex live on thecricketer.com you tube channel live @ 5pm. Its the 5 overs a side Quarantine Cup, 11 counties in 2 groups, s-fs & final. Ok its a video game with the sides represented by a member of their playing squad, and there will be commentary. Glamorgan in Kent's group and they meet on 26th April I think.
PS Have checked it is actually 29th April
By glamman
TWrex wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:53 pm The season starts on Sunday with Kent v Sussex live on thecricketer.com you tube channel live @ 5pm. Its the 5 overs a side Quarantine Cup, 11 counties in 2 groups, s-fs & final. Ok its a video game with the sides represented by a member of their playing squad, and there will be commentary. Glamorgan in Kent's group and they meet on 26th April I think.
PS Have checked it is actually 29th April
It's amazing what you will watch given the absence of any other sport. Will be getting behind Roman Walker as he represents Glamorgan.
By glamman
Great to hear that the players will start training tomorrow with the hope of cricket on August 1st. Doesn't really feel like summer yet.
By psychocandy
£64K question - will we be allowed into Sophia at all this season to watch?

I guess based on attendance of normal county games it'd be easy to socially distance. One stand per person!
By Bubbles
Youth a shortened season what an ideal opportunity to blood our younger cricketers. As I have stated many times before a young cricketer is 17 or 18 onwards. Our bunch of "youngsters" are now in their early twenties without having a chance at senior cricket. We currently have a dearth of 2nd/1st team players are in their early twenties who should know what to expect. :thinking: :angel: 😷😷😷😷
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:36 pm Youth a shortened season what an ideal opportunity to blood our younger cricketers. As I have stated many times before a young cricketer is 17 or 18 onwards. Our bunch of "youngsters" are now in their early twenties without having a chance at senior cricket. We currently have a dearth of 2nd/1st team players are in their early twenties who should know what to expect. :thinking: :angel: 😷😷😷😷
Personally I think that over the last few years we have had a much better balance to the team in terms of ages. If you look back to 2014 I did some calculations as to the average age of the team we were fielding and it was over 31. There were 8 players over 30. The last game of 2019 included Patel, Wagg and Hogan but still the average age was 29. In 2014 we lacked players in their mid 20s.
If we look at a possible XI to start the first 4 day game this season:
Charlie Hemphrey
Nick Selman
David Lloyd
Billy Root
Kiran Carlson
Chris Cooke
Ruaidhri Smith
Timm van der Gugten
Marchant de Lange
Kieran Bull
Lukas Carey

The average age of this team is just over 27. A big improvement from 2014 and these players in their 20s have had plenty of senior cricket (injuries allowing in the case of Smith and Bull). The one disappointment is only 5 have come through the Welsh age-group system (same as 2014) . If you wanted to strengthen the batting you could bring Douthwaite in for TvdG or De Lange and the average age comes down further.
No problem giving the likes of Horton a go. Not sure who else is pushing from the Academy. Would be great to see some who are good enough to play.
By glamman
Not much to talk about so far this season on the cricketing front but nice to see a Glamorgan old-boy demonstrating how to open the batting down at Southampton.
By glamman
I understand the first 4 day game is against Somerset starting on 1st August at Taunton.
By Nick_Glam
Is there any indication yet about whether the games are likely to be shown live on the website?
Just not good enough

I have been a loyal supporter for 50 years and hav[…]

Slightly odd squad named for final two games. Morg[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]

T20 for 2020

The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gl[…]