A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
Just watched a film about Glamorgan's future strategy with the club being represented by Dan Cherry the stadium manager? Stick to painting the stadium and selling hot dogs and leave cricketing issues to qualified personnel.
Similarly the latest brand new cricket project "the hundred" was presented by an ageing ex Glamorgan player Mark Frost who admitted he and many others were way out of their depth but did not offer any plans on how this was going to be marketed and rolled out.
Glamorgan have stated that their aim is to sell out home hundred games. A big ask? Yet another example of why we are never successful. Take the ECB money and do things as cheaply as possible and talk our way out of it. Same old :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 am Just watched a film about Glamorgan's future strategy with the club being represented by Dan Cherry the stadium manager? Stick to painting the stadium and selling hot dogs and leave cricketing issues to qualified personnel.
Similarly the latest brand new cricket project "the hundred" was presented by an ageing ex Glamorgan player Mark Frost who admitted he and many others were way out of their depth but did not offer any plans on how this was going to be marketed and rolled out.
Glamorgan have stated that their aim is to sell out home hundred games. A big ask? Yet another example of why we are never successful. Take the ECB money and do things as cheaply as possible and talk our way out of it. Same old :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Is this film on line?
By Bubbles
If you can check YouTube cricket Wales and the strategy will come up and there is also a link on the cricket Wales site.
I mentioned previously that we should take the million pounds on offer for using the stadium and leave the marketing to the ECB. However yet again we have made bold statements that we will sell out the hundred. There will never be a better time to sell cricket as I believe we will have a very competitive team in 2020'but no one seems to share my enthusiasm. I fear that our marketing as over many many years will fall well short of the mark. Previously we had accountants running the marketing team and people with no cricket specific knowledge running the campaign.
I know we are beefing up the team but unless we get it right we will fall down the same hole again.It is about time we employed people to do specific jobs and concentrate on getting them right instead of doing about five jobs and getting none right. What an opportunity for us a blank piece of paper and an excellent product to sell. Surely we can't get it wrong? :dance: :dance: :dance:
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 am Just watched a film about Glamorgan's future strategy with the club being represented by Dan Cherry the stadium manager? Stick to painting the stadium and selling hot dogs and leave cricketing issues to qualified personnel.
Bit unkind on Dan - he played 45 times for Glamorgan
By glamman
Have just watched the video. Lots of positives but I just do not see The 100 in Cardiff meeting the expectations that are being proposed. Mark Frost just giving the ECB party line. He talks about the benefits of the Welsh Fire name making the team something for Wales to get behind but it seems difficult to see given the complete lack of any Welsh participation within the franchise.
There is lots of talk about how the new competition is going to enage young people and the game is going to be easier to follow. The only difference I can see from T20 is the number of balls and it is surely a damning comment on our education system if young people cannot cope with the 6-times table. If the ECB wanted to waste all this money they could have invested it in the current T20 competition. I really do not see Sophia Gardens having any more spectators within it than it does for T20 and I assume the franchise will eventually move to Bristol or Taunton, with a change of name.
By exileKT8
Taking a bit of a leap to discuss recruitment strategy but interested to see Trego sign for Notts as thought he would ideal for Glammy as an experienced bat in all formats. The MM connection and geographically I thought it might fit. Perhaps if he has gone to Notts then financially it was beyond Glammy and I take it no news on Patel who Notts will want for 1 day games.

Glamman, saw Brand in South Africa A, clearly a good prospect who got away.

Nadolig Llawen to all on here.
By Bubbles
I find it very difficult to understand our membership. We are so fickle we would welcome players from anywhere in the world who are substandard and yet when the worlds best land on our doorstep we don't want to know?
Glamorgan have dived head first in to the hundred and as predicted are aiming at the wrong target market. The club membership have shown that they do not want the hundred and Glamorgan state that club members will get the best discounted tickets already alienating new members or prospective members.
How they will market Welsh Fire to Somerset and Gloucester is anyone's guess. I see this a massive cricketing opportunity for the Welsh public but I think our stubborn and blinkered membership would much rather watch mediocrity year in year out. These are my opinions as a cricket lover but I feel we have a M and S product being handled by Poundland.
Thanks for reading and I wish you a Happy Xmas and most of all a prosperous 2020 or should I say 100.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:45 pm I find it very difficult to understand our membership. We are so fickle we would welcome players from anywhere in the world who are substandard and yet when the worlds best land on our doorstep we don't want to know?
Glamorgan have dived head first in to the hundred and as predicted are aiming at the wrong target market. The club membership have shown that they do not want the hundred and Glamorgan state that club members will get the best discounted tickets already alienating new members or prospective members.
How they will market Welsh Fire to Somerset and Gloucester is anyone's guess. I see this a massive cricketing opportunity for the Welsh public but I think our stubborn and blinkered membership would much rather watch mediocrity year in year out. These are my opinions as a cricket lover but I feel we have a M and S product being handled by Poundland.
Thanks for reading and I wish you a Happy Xmas and most of all a prosperous 2020 or should I say 100.
I think we have been united in NOT welcoming substandard players from around the world. While the hundred is on I will be trying to watch Glamorgan play in the 50-over comp.
By Bubbles
Dan Cherry clearly states that with a lack of Welsh talent Glamorgan have turned to international payers to make up the team. Over years these players have consistently performed averagely and not come close to winning anything even in the lowest league. Could we not have done this with our own Welsh players?
The inability to accept change will be the demise for Glamorgan supporters who will have to make way for modern cricketing trends.
The glory days of 69 93 and 97 may never return so we have to go with the flow and see where we end up otherwise we will stagnate and vanish.
By glamman
I thgk you have missed the key message from Dan. What he said was:
... need to "improve the pathways to provide more Glamorgan and England players"
"we haven't produced an international player for 15 years. We are not producing enough Welsh-born players representing Glamorgan"
I think he correctly highlights that the development of players has been where things have gone wrong. Hopefully Glamorgan taking the lead in age-group cricket will be a good thing.

This has nothing to do with the Hundred which is something of a distraction. I don't deny the need for it to be successful but personally I think it is a costly gamble by the ECB. The current T20 competition has been a huge success in most of the country with sell out crowds at many grounds, including big venues such as the Oval. I remember Glamorgan beating Surrey in 2018 in front of 20,000 and the Sky cameras at the Oval (without their stars). Personally, with no local players involved, I have little interest in the 100 and would rather go and watch Glamorgan play a 50-over game. For the sake of the club I hope it suceeds but I have concerns.
By Bubbles
Again typical Glamorgan.
Any member of staff may have an opinion on our cricketing strategy.
If I wanted to paint the stadium should I use Matt or gloss? Dan would be the man.
I wouldn't want a doctor to fix my car so concentrate on what your job description is and ensure you get that right.
A little bit of knowledge is dangerous!
By glamman
Just announced that Carlson has signed a contract until the end of 2022. By my calculation he is the only player at the moment with a contract past 2021. Obviously showing belief in his potential and hopefully he will be able to rein in his attacking urges and bat longer. He has certainly shown he can get big scores in the past.
Wish him well for the coming season.
By glamman
I see Northants have just announced increased profits. Alongside promotion to Div 1 things are going well at the County Ground and it makes you think where Glamorgan might be if they hadn't been lumbered with the financial difficulties created by the grandiose ground developments.
By glamman
Reassuring to hear about a significant improvement to the financial standing of the club with much improved profits fro last year - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/51742186
Obviously the holding or not of international matches brings about significant fluctuations year on year. Must be very difficult ot manage.
Season 2020

With the cricket season delayed until at least the[…]

The Hundred

Much as I try avoiding even thinking about this co[…]