A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By psychocandy
Looks like we're reversing things this year and going for a poor T20 team.

Both games so far clueless. Lucky it rained.... I fear a couple of tumpings when we face the likes of De Villiers for Middx.

The Somerset game showed the massive divide in quality between us and the top sides...
By glamman
psychocandy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 am Looks like we're reversing things this year and going for a poor T20 team.

Both games so far clueless. Lucky it rained.... I fear a couple of tumpings when we face the likes of De Villiers for Middx.

The Somerset game showed the massive divide in quality between us and the top sides...
I find it odd that we have not seen Meschede who has scored runs in T20 and Wagg batting so low. I also think Carey has more control than De Lange.
Not sure how much play they will get at Newport today.
By caergybi
Well snatched a tie from certain victory thanks to de Lange. What was Ingram thinking of - 13 off third over and then gets his to bowl a fourth that goes for 19 and loses us the game. Meanwhile Salter with 4 for 12 only bowls three overs. Ingram having a poor season with bat and leadership.
exileKT8 liked this
By psychocandy
caergybi wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 pm Well snatched a tie from certain victory thanks to de Lange. What was Ingram thinking of - 13 off third over and then gets his to bowl a fourth that goes for 19 and loses us the game. Meanwhile Salter with 4 for 12 only bowls three overs. Ingram having a poor season with bat and leadership.
Batted better but we should have won.

De Lange is a disaster in T20. Should have bowled Salter. Couldnt have been worse.
By glamman
Having been at the game last night it is clear that we are going to continue to struggle in this competition. The reasons:

- As I said before the competition started, a huge concern was Ingram's form over the last 10 months and unfortunately it continues - 94 runs from 5 starts most from one innings.
- Root coming in at 5 has a poor record in T20 with a strike rate of 111 and this season just 96.
- Last night Lawlor came in at 6 and while he did well opening when the fielders were up I do not see him regularly clearing the boundary - Where was Wagg?
Zaman and Lloyd got us off to a great start as Lloyd and Lawlor did in the first game but there was no acceleration to set a challenging total. Root has to be left out although not sure there is any clear replacement while we still lack a second overseas player. Frustrating given Marsh and Labuschagne's absence from the Ashes Test. I find it difficult to understand how Wade started in front of Labuschagne.
- We are missing our most economical bowler from last season's competition (Smith) as well as Hogan from the last couple of games. De Lange bowled beautifully at the end of the innings last week (full and straight) but was all over the place last night. It has been pointed out that Salter only bowled 3 of his 4 overs for just 12 runs. I thought he bowled beautifully, holding the ball back to induce the miscues. Douthwaite is hit and miss and in this format you need at least 5 and preferably 6 bowlers that can be relied upon. You can sacrifice batting as you should not need a long batting order when there are only 20 overs. Shift Wagg up the order - he will be more effective than Root or Lawlor.
- With his lack of form, Ingram must have concerns and this is reflected in his captaincy. Did not understand why De Lange bowled his last over without a 3rd man. Guess you can't have fielders everywhere.

With the resources we have I am not sure there are any easy fixes. Wagg should bat higher and I would be tempted to take a punt with Carlson. We desperately need a hard hitting overseas batsman who ideally also bowls mystery spin :) . With TvdG and Hogan injured and Smith on the way back we have no other bowling options. I thought Taylor might replace Morgan and I think he might come in tonight to give that extra bowling option. Otherwise it will probably be more of the same.
By psychocandy
glamman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 am Having been at the game last night it is clear that we are going to continue to struggle in this competition. The reasons:

- As I said before the competition started, a huge concern was Ingram's form over the last 10 months and unfortunately it continues - 94 runs from 5 starts most from one innings.
- Root coming in at 5 has a poor record in T20 with a strike rate of 111 and this season just 96.
- Last night Lawlor came in at 6 and while he did well opening when the fielders were up I do not see him regularly clearing the boundary - Where was Wagg?
Zaman and Lloyd got us off to a great start as Lloyd and Lawlor did in the first game but there was no acceleration to set a challenging total. Root has to be left out although not sure there is any clear replacement while we still lack a second overseas player. Frustrating given Marsh and Labuschagne's absence from the Ashes Test. I find it difficult to understand how Wade started in front of Labuschagne.
- We are missing our most economical bowler from last season's competition (Smith) as well as Hogan from the last couple of games. De Lange bowled beautifully at the end of the innings last week (full and straight) but was all over the place last night. It has been pointed out that Salter only bowled 3 of his 4 overs for just 12 runs. I thought he bowled beautifully, holding the ball back to induce the miscues. Douthwaite is hit and miss and in this format you need at least 5 and preferably 6 bowlers that can be relied upon. You can sacrifice batting as you should not need a long batting order when there are only 20 overs. Shift Wagg up the order - he will be more effective than Root or Lawlor.
- With his lack of form, Ingram must have concerns and this is reflected in his captaincy. Did not understand why De Lange bowled his last over without a 3rd man. Guess you can't have fielders everywhere.

With the resources we have I am not sure there are any easy fixes. Wagg should bat higher and I would be tempted to take a punt with Carlson. We desperately need a hard hitting overseas batsman who ideally also bowls mystery spin :) . With TvdG and Hogan injured and Smith on the way back we have no other bowling options. I thought Taylor might replace Morgan and I think he might come in tonight to give that extra bowling option. Otherwise it will probably be more of the same.
Not the first time we've got off to a cracking start then not pushed on.

Ingram - hmmm. I agree but he is a class batsman...

Root does not look like a T20 batsman to be honest. I also don't understand why Wagg is not coming in higher up. At the very least, he gets things going.

Zaman to be fair looked a class act last night.

De Lange as I said previously is a disaster in T20.
By hujon64
I love my cricket but am no expert so welcome the analysis of others. However, I am still bemused by the thinking behind Salter not bowling his overs after excellent figures last match and a great start tonight. Why was he held back until so late in the game with Ingram bowling himself? Not exactly showing much faith or reward to him for his excellent performances. Why did Lawlor come in instead of Wagg - unfair on the lad in that situation? To be fair Ingram has been a star for us previously but his Captaincy, decision making, performance and dropped catch last night were very disappointing and, I feel, contributed to the result. Must mention Wagg whose wholehearted, competitive approach was a pleasure to watch. Also our overseas performing well and love seeing Cooke in full flow.
runinthesun, exileKT8 liked this
By exileKT8
Yes, plenty of good points raised and last night feels like a defeat so will be a big test tonight for the boys to pick themselves up for a tough game at Hants. Ingram has been so good for us in recent seasons but T20 is a harsh environment and fortunes can ebb and flow quickly. He is out of touch with the bat and doesn`t look fit to me. De Lange was a disaster but all 3 of Tye`s 4s came off the edge off not bad balls. With the wisdom of retrospect Salter would have been unlikely to have gone for any more. Salter has never to my recollection been used late in the innings, it was preordained to use the seamers, Salter deemed too risky but Tye wouldn`t have edged 3 4s off him. Perhaps we will have better luck tonight.
By glamman
Risky bowling Salter at the end but if he had bowled an earlier over it might have released Wagg to bowl one of the last two. The bowling is stretched because of the injuries to Hogan, TvdG and Smith. We are struggling with the 4th / 5th / 6th bowling options. In T20 you need plenty of options and we don't have them. Lloyd called into action last night having previously bowled 5 overs in 40 T20 matches.

Darren Stevens will leave Kent at the end of the s[…]

Full title 'Race and Pace' the West Indian in East[…]

Leicestershire

NOTICE THAT THE FINAL MEMBERS FORUM IS SCHEDULED […]

Berg is back!

At 38 years of age, it is perhaps not entirely cle[…]