Any news or views on International Cricket
By johnwales
The dismissal of Jason Roy today indicated that a change is needed regards the D L R system of reviewing umpires decisions. Roy was clearly not out, yet England had used their one and only review. The error could have had enormous consequences. Why not change the procedure so that the responsibility of calling for a review should be transferred to the umpires, making them responsible for clarifying decisions as they feel appropriate. If an appeal is called for , then umpires should make a calculated decision on whether the D L R is necessary. The umpires would have the authority to warn teams who they considered were abusing the system, and threaten them with withdrawing the right to appeal if they continued to transgress.
By notgoingoutreprise
johnwales wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 pm The dismissal of Jason Roy today indicated that a change is needed regards the D L R system of reviewing umpires decisions. Roy was clearly not out, yet England had used their one and only review. The error could have had enormous consequences. Why not change the procedure so that the responsibility of calling for a review should be transferred to the umpires, making them responsible for clarifying decisions as they feel appropriate. If an appeal is called for , then umpires should make a calculated decision on whether the D L R is necessary. The umpires would have the authority to warn teams who they considered were abusing the system, and threaten them with withdrawing the right to appeal if they continued to transgress.
The Drs system was introduced to prevent howlers but batsmen and bowlers are too selfish to think straight and often review with hope and not with actual certainty
By TWrex
A rare occurrence shouldn't lead to a complete overhaul of the system. Had Bairstow not unwisely used up the review available there would have been no problem, maybe Roy should have offered better advice, though of course I have no way of telling what was said between them. It wasn't the worst ever decision seeing how the ball moved after it passed Roy & the appeal by the Aussies sounded very genuine & not just a lone 'keeper trying to distract an umpire from giving a wide. We can call it 1 all after the Broad 'affair' a few years back.
Maybe someone will come up with a clever little, not too time consuming, tweak for the future to help avoid any further such incidents.
By TWrex
Ross Taylor would obviuosly be disappointed, but maybe just as much with poor use of his team's review as with the umpire. But as in the Roy case the umpire seemed certain the batsman was out so surely would have not asked for it to be checked, so both players would have still be given out. The problem would surely be umpires would be checking more and more to avoid mistakes and more of the decision making would fall on the third umpire. What could it end up like if in the Ashes the opening bowlers were thundering the ball into the pads nearly every ball on or close to leg stump. How confident would an umpire feel in giving someone out without recourse to a review, an over could take ages. David Lloyd would explode or implode (might need a review to decide) with his 'just get on with'. The same could apply with any bowling when the fieldng team is on top, then there is was it bat or batter for catches behind the wicket. There is already a much greater uptake on checking run outs and stumpings, even some pretty obvious looking ones. I dont particulary blame umpires for this, they have to stand out of line at square leg to avoid obscuring the cameras and at the bowling end it can be difficult getting in position in time. I presume on some of the apparantly looking easy decisions when a batsman s well out it is just to check the stumps haven't been accidentally disturbed before the bails are taken off.
Pity the umpire giving a run out when the tv replays show the 'keeper's pads dislodging the bails just before taking the ball. As for banning appealling, technically the umpire cannot give a batsman out without an appeal being made. Could a side stop itself if a 90 mph yorker struck a batsman right in front of the stumps anyway?
Maybe the 3rd umpire should check every ball for a no ball, if not and an umpire gives a batsman out review every time. Being bowled or an obvious catch wouldn't take any/much time, but it is back to the time issue for lbw and those tricky decisions for catches. Finished now, so I'll just have to wait for someone to point all the problems this system would cause, because there is bound to be some.
Spent the day with the Lions at Canterbury yesterday, biggest decision I had to make was what flavour ice cream to have. Went for the toffee, didn't need a review, it was lovely.
By johnwales
Aussies series, Day 1...….. Umpiring is no easy task, and mistakes will always be made. However, today we have seen many wrong decisions made, and changes need to be made. The extent of these changes is difficult to consider, but careers could be at stake , so in my opinion all decisions should be taken by the guys who have the electronic equipment to reach a correct decision. It will slow the game down of course; but that cannot be helped. There is also a danger that an umpire at the bowlers end is going to be seriously hurt, and I would consider withdrawing him, and let the remaining umpire take up any position on the field, as his job will only be to relay decisions from the pavilion.
By ShermanCit
Might you consider, in a future update, the use of images and the option to place the More/Less link under the text?
And the possibility to change the size of the font for the More / Less
By johnwales
This might sound a very stupid question !! Is DRS only available on games that are televised ?
By TWrex
The umpiring has been very iffy in the current test following some dubious decisions in the world cup. I wonder why it is as in recent seasons the standard has been very high. I suppose umpires feel the stresses and strains of being under pressure and often away from home and family as much as any player. Continually under the spotlight with all the different camera angles and zoom lenses to pick up any error of judgement in slow motion it is a tough old job.
Wrong decisions can vary from downright errors to being completely understandable and will always happen but there does seem to be an increase of late. I don't have a solution, but maybe a few more names on the elite panel may help as we seem to have the same faces time after time. Like players, umpires will have their bad days and times of low confidence, hopefully it is just a poor patch that will be at an end soon. One thing I do know after the odd spell of umpiring back in my local club playing days it is not a job I would fancy doing.
By TWrex
I bet the umpires were glad that the cameras were in attendance at Grace Road last night.
One wicket in Colin Ackerman's record breaking spell would have been very difficult to call without some help. The ball hit a bail which trembled but stayed on for a second or two, the ball was caught by the 'keeper who also took the other bail off. Bowled, caught or stumped, it was very confusing. Thankfully the cameras cleared it up what was must be a vary rare sequence of events. The 'keeper knew what had happened but what would the umpires have decided without the photographic evidence? Messrs. Burns & Millns must have been relieved to Jeremy Lloyds on hand to clear it up. A remarkable bowling spell Warks. went from 114 f 2 to 134 all out in 28balls. Leics. are up and running in the blast.

Darren Stevens will leave Kent at the end of the s[…]

Full title 'Race and Pace' the West Indian in East[…]

Berg is back!

At 38 years of age, it is perhaps not entirely cle[…]

CC v Durham

Our last two wickets put on 67, of which Hutton an[…]