A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Vee
Shortlegs
You should be happy now we are 4th in the table.
It would be nice to see some positive, instead of negative, posts from you. You seem to forget we have had bad luck with lack of funds, injuries, weather, few bowlers and silly rules, and would have won more this season without these problems!
For instance on the Cricket Show, Keogh was said to be probably the best spin bowler of the Counties, and as you know spin comes in on the right pitch.
Wakely, last year was said to be the best Captain, remains calm and positive even when odds were stacked against us, by many of the various club commentators.
He also got the highest batting score in the first innings against Sussex and as no.3 his job is to stay there not take risks and the pitch was doing all sorts. In case you hadn’t noticed even England players don’t play consistently - that’s cricket
Interesting that you think Rips doesn’t know what he is doing- perhaps you should take over?
I look forward to positive comments about our team 😃
By Shortlegs
Den Buckett wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Keogh is seen as a 'spin option'
Sadly yes - and here are his stats so far this season
8 matches 119.1 overs 483 runs 4 wickets Av 120.75
He is in 101st position out of 103 Div 2 bowlers. Are those the stats of a genuine spin option?
By Den Buckett
Vee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:48 am Shortlegs
It would be nice to see some positive, instead of negative, posts from you. You seem to forget we have had bad luck with lack of funds, injuries, weather, few bowlers and silly rules, and would have won more this season without these problems!
For instance on the Cricket Show, Keogh was said to be probably the best spin bowler of the Counties, and as you know spin comes in on the right pitch.
Wakely, last year was said to be the best Captain, remains calm and positive even when odds were stacked against us, by many of the various club commentators.
He also got the highest batting score in the first innings against Sussex and as no.3 his job is to stay there not take risks and the pitch was doing all sorts. In case you hadn’t noticed even England players don’t play consistently - that’s cricket
Interesting that you think Rips doesn’t know what he is doing- perhaps you should take over?
I'm sure Shortlegs will respond to your comments, but personally I agree with all that Shortlegs has said - they are truthful comments not negative. I'm afraid there is no point listening to many of the comments made by commentators or former players as they don't see it from a supporters point of view. Before this match we were bottom of the CC and won 2 from 8 in the one-day comp so it has been difficult to make many positive comments.

Regarding Keogh, it is ridiculous to say he is one of the best spinners on the county circuit. His figures do not show this at all.
Wakely did not top score v Sussex, but you are right to say his 36 was a useful contribution on a difficult surface. However many of us realise he is not up to standard for first class cricket and are sursprised he continues to be picked.
I don't think anybody on here has said they could do better than Ripley and we all understand the financial constraints, we are simply just discussing the team that we support.
By Shortlegs
Vee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:48 am Shortlegs
Don't worry. If we continue to do better my comments will get more upbeat. :) If you go back in time you'll find I have made regular positive comments in previous years, but until yesterday there's been very little to cheer about this season.

By the way, I'm not sure I've ever said Rips doesn't know what he's doing, but I suspect he is perhaps too matey with some of our senior players and therefore not always objective enough about them. Oh ..... and Wakely didn't get the highest score in the first innings against Sussex. As for Keogh being said to be the best spinner on the circuit, I'm afraid facts speak louder than words.
By Nick14
I won;t respond to all Vee's points - other than to say in seemed pretty blinkered to me - and failing to acknowledge the many problems there have been at the club for quite a while will do the club no favours in the long run. Accepting mediocrity or poor management and performance is not what i want in sport. Support your team - sure - I always have - for decades now - but I have always believed in speaking up if things are not going well or being done badly.
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

The first two players released

Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirement[…]