Lloyd
Carlson
Morgan
Harris(capt)
Salter
Cullen(wk)
Walker
Carey

A good side that would definitely compete and bring a lot of joy to a new audience. Ireland's side is made up of county cricketers why can't we follow suit.
It would certainly give a boost to cricket in Wales and if marketed correctly could be a winner.
By Shamu
Would certainly be competitive against the likes of Ireland/Scotland/Netherlands etc. The future for Test cricket seems destined to be 2 divisions, and this may be an opportunity to get a foot in the door (following a qualifying competition).

Not sure the funding that ICC allocate would facilitate (as evidenced by Cricket Ireland’s recent financial woes) but with Welsh cricket followers completely disillusioned by the impending Hundred nonsense (which, I predict to be a massive flop) I think that Wales as a nation would support this in greater numbers than just playing a couple of token young Welsh lads as in the current Glamorgan set up.
By glamman
Personally this issue has been put to bed on numerous occasions and is no more valid now than it was in the past. The strength of Ireland was built on players in county cricket and is likely to stumble come September when they will in future Ireland players will have to be selected as overseas players.
As has been pointed out, the players listed are playing county cricket and playing for Wales will come a long way down their list of priorities after the ambition to play county cricket and to play for England. All it will mean is that the Welsh boys will have to move to England to play.
The Scotland home fixtures this season total 4 home ODIs and that because of the World Cup. There is then the new T20 competition in August with I think 4 home matches against Ireland and The Netherlands but if you want to watch cricket you will have to settle mainly for club games.
Ireland have 3 provincial teams playing "1st class" cricket but they admit it is not enough cricket. Scotland are hoping to have a 1st class competition ultimately but I would worry about the standard.
In summary, the best chance for cricket in Wales is that Glamorgan can move forwards and rebuild as other counties have had to do in the past. These calls for a Wales team are based on misguided nationalism and wil not bring about the result people might think.
Nick_Glam liked this
By ffynnongarw
glamman wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:29 pm Personally this issue has been put to bed on numerous occasions and is no more valid now than it was in the past. The strength of Ireland was built on players in county cricket and is likely to stumble come September when they will in future Ireland players will have to be selected as overseas players.
As has been pointed out, the players listed are playing county cricket and playing for Wales will come a long way down their list of priorities after the ambition to play county cricket and to play for England. All it will mean is that the Welsh boys will have to move to England to play.
The Scotland home fixtures this season total 4 home ODIs and that because of the World Cup. There is then the new T20 competition in August with I think 4 home matches against Ireland and The Netherlands but if you want to watch cricket you will have to settle mainly for club games.
Ireland have 3 provincial teams playing "1st class" cricket but they admit it is not enough cricket. Scotland are hoping to have a 1st class competition ultimately but I would worry about the standard.
In summary, the best chance for cricket in Wales is that Glamorgan can move forwards and rebuild as other counties have had to do in the past. These calls for a Wales team are based on misguided nationalism and wil not bring about the result people might think.
Excellent response. Very well constructed.
By Bubbles
Thank you for your personal comments but I do think that the subject deserves more thought than to say we have done that, lock the door and throw away the key. You have also erected a lot of hurdles to jump without giving the possibility of a solution. Can we not look for a resolution rather than just branding the subject as " misguided nationalism". Glamorgan have shown that they cannot survive without ECB handouts, Welsh government money and possible ICC funding. We cannot survive on our membership income and the sponsorship monies I is a sorry tale of woe. I appreciate that a lot of people do not like change but as you touched on with the introduction of the "Hundred" I feel the writing is on the wall. I think that the number of professional cricketers is spread far too thinly and with the proposed amalgamation of counties what is to say that the same happens to county cricket. Certainly attendances do not warrant county crickets' survival?
I am not trying to be argumentative but feel that change IS needed. I would relish the opportunity of travelling the world too see my country play. It has never been done but would open many new opportunities for cricket followers.
By glamman
I have previously said there are too many 1st class counties but that has nothing to do with the strength of Glamorgan. If you think the replacement of Glamorgan by a Wales side is going to improve what is on offer to the Welsh spectator you are wildly misguided. You are welcome to spend your time watching Wales Minor Counties and a few games against the likes of Germany and Namibia. The likes of Lloyd and Carey will be forced to move across the bridge (at least it's free now) to continue their careers and their younger counterparts, without the ambition to play for Glamorgan, will probably play one of the other sports at which they will undoubtedly excel.
By Bubbles
Would the Welsh national side replace Glamorgan?
The probable issues would be that Welsh government money would not stretch far enough to cover both teams but I feel that Glamorgan have had ample opportunity to put a stout financial structure in place but have failed to do so. The county could still rely on ECB money but forego Welsh assembly money.
Cricket Wales could quite easily forego their chunk from Sport Wales as they are sitting on a large amount of money from what should be a not for profit organisation and reinvested in grassroots cricket. Why would the government give money to an organisation that just hoards it in the bank.
Looking to the future with the merger of counties looking imminent players will risk the threat of being redeployed and relocated in any case.
I'd quite fancy watching Wales play Germany in Berlin. What a nice trip!
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 pm Would the Welsh national side replace Glamorgan?
The probable issues would be that Welsh government money would not stretch far enough to cover both teams but I feel that Glamorgan have had ample opportunity to put a stout financial structure in place but have failed to do so. The county could still rely on ECB money but forego Welsh assembly money.
Cricket Wales could quite easily forego their chunk from Sport Wales as they are sitting on a large amount of money from what should be a not for profit organisation and reinvested in grassroots cricket. Why would the government give money to an organisation that just hoards it in the bank.
Looking to the future with the merger of counties looking imminent players will risk the threat of being redeployed and relocated in any case.
I'd quite fancy watching Wales play Germany in Berlin. What a nice trip!
There could not be a Welsh side recognised by the ICC and Glamorgan as Glamorgan is part of the England and Wales Cricket Board.
By Bubbles
England has a ream and there are 17 county championship teams from England.
A hurdle to jump but not unjumpable. Are we not answering questions before they have even been asked? Does anyone on the forum have a "can do" attitude on a Welsh cricket team or are we just resigned to endure more of the same where ex Glamorgan players pick the financial carcas of the club. A good income with no ambition to do what MAY be best for Welsh cricket. If the powers that be thought about cricket and not their pockets we may look to move forward!,
By Nick_Glam
My feeling is that a Wales team is a really bad idea and that our best hope for the future is for Glamorgan to continue to improve, as we have been doing this season.

If we can start picking up decent results, then hopefully any decent Welsh players will want to stay with us in the future.
By Bubbles
I am interested by peoples' responses with mostly negative thoughts towards a Welsh national side even taking away all the reasons why it couldn't happen.
We are one of only a few countries that does not have a national side and I still feel that we are missing out. I feel that we could compete up to a certain level and maybe make the World Cup finals or maybe Olympics or Commonwealth games in the future. Again I feel it is not our remit to deny Welsh cricketers a new opportunity rather than the "same old same old" we are currently being served.
Why are we so anti national cricket taking away the practicalities? If you do respond please do so by saying your thoughts on why it could not happen in an ideal situation taking finance and politics out of the equation.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:12 am I am interested by peoples' responses with mostly negative thoughts towards a Welsh national side even taking away all the reasons why it couldn't happen.
We are one of only a few countries that does not have a national side and I still feel that we are missing out. I feel that we could compete up to a certain level and maybe make the World Cup finals or maybe Olympics or Commonwealth games in the future. Again I feel it is not our remit to deny Welsh cricketers a new opportunity rather than the "same old same old" we are currently being served.
Why are we so anti national cricket taking away the practicalities? If you do respond please do so by saying your thoughts on why it could not happen in an ideal situation taking finance and politics out of the equation.
The people at the head of the queue NOT wanting a Welsh team would be the players.
By Shamu
Impressed that you have such close relationships with the players.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the Welsh cricketers or the Kolpaks and imports (who would face redundancy ?).
By glamman
Shamu wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm Impressed that you have such close relationships with the players.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the Welsh cricketers or the Kolpaks and imports (who would face redundancy ?).
This deabte only affects the Welsh cricketers. I suggest you speak to them.
Kent

Nick Webb has reported that Carlson has replaced M[…]

2nd XI

Absolutely pathetic from the Glamorgan media that […]

PIXEL PLUS

PIXEL ONE — PINKMAN https://pixel-led-bag.[…]

Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]