A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By JamesH
glamman wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 pm
JamesH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:25 am
glamman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm
As far as Donald goes, if he was unhappy the best for everyone is to move on. I suspect the change of coach will have a positive impact on most players' state of mind. If it had come earlier the question of whether Donald might have stayed and been successful will never be answered. The premise for him is the same wherever he plays- hit the red thing being thrown at you, ideally along the ground.

Interestingly he is playing in the same team as Selman in Queensland this winter.

Connor Brown scoring runs quite consistently for UNSW 2nds - blocked from getting in their 1st XI as they already have Harry Brook as an overseas who is doing well. Marchant De Lange just seems to have had a T20 contract in S Africa so has not played first class cricket since Dec 9th.

Not sure what Salter is doing in New Zealand. I think the only other player away at the moment is Smith who is training in South Africa. Good to see him getting some competitive cricket over the winter with Scotland.

Perhaps even more interestingly, Selman has outscored Donald in the first grade competition. Donald has been opening, Selman batting at 3.

------------------Selman------Donald
Played---------13-------------12
Runs-----------451------------370
Average-------41-------------30.83
Top Score-----80*------------59
The recent games have been T20s in which Donald opens and Selman bats 3. In the 2 day games Selman opens and Donald bats 3. I am not sure that either of them played in any of the 50 over matches.

In the longer format Selkman has 132 runs @ 26.4 and Donald has 194 runs @ 48.5. Averages in T20 don't mean much.

Very true. Somewhat less encouraging...
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am
I think we can forget Marsh until July now.
Yeah! Could do with a string of ducks! :)
By glamman
Interesting to see Franklin appointed as Durham coach having just retired from playing. Not sure what experience he has in a coaching role to be named as head coach. Will be interesting to see how he goes.
By glamman
Came out yesterday that Sam Pearce is going on a pre season tour with Warwickshire. Has been part of the Glamorgan Academy and regular for Walers Minor Counties and Glamorgan 2nds. Appears that someone at Warwickshire has seen some potential.
By glamman
Good to see De Lange getting a run out on Tuesday for the Kights in a 50-over game. I assume he has been playing some club cricket.
By exileKT8
Ninety odd for Hemphrey top scoring for Queensland, hopefully a good sign.
By glamman
Selman scored 78 and 31 no in his latest game while Connor Brown is playing for University of New South Wales 1sts and is 20 no
By JamesH
glamman wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:56 pm
Selman scored 78 and 31 no in his latest game while Connor Brown is playing for University of New South Wales 1sts and is 20 no

Also worth mentioning what a good season Tom Cullen had down under. 10 First Grade games, 719 runs, 103 average, 3 hundreds, four 50s, high score 166. It's a lower standard than the other have been playing at but still an impressive return. Will he be playing more this year?
By glamman
JamesH wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am
glamman wrote:

Also worth mentioning what a good season Tom Cullen had down under. 10 First Grade games, 719 runs, 103 average, 3 hundreds, four 50s, high score 166. It's a lower standard than the other have been playing at but still an impressive return. Will he be playing more this year?
Who is Cullen playing for?
By JamesH
glamman wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am
JamesH wrote:
glamman wrote:

Lindfield in Sydney. Connor Brown mentioned him playing for them here: https://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricke ... diary.html

His stats are here: http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/ ... ityid=2014
By glamman
JamesH wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:06 pm
glamman wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am
JamesH wrote:

Lindfield in Sydney. Connor Brown mentioned him playing for them here: https://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricke ... diary.html

His stats are here: http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/ ... ityid=2014
As you say, playing in Shire Grade but spending time in the middle. Interesting he is playing in Sydney as I thought he originated from Perth. Needs to kick on as he is 27 now.
By glamman
Cooke named as CC and 50 over captain. Probably the only option but I hope it does not prevent him improving his batting performances this year. He only averaged 24 in the Championship last season which is less than Wally was doing when some (including me) were calling for Cooke to take the gloves. He did no better in the 50 over competition. We need him to regain his batting form.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 am
Cooke named as CC and 50 over captain. Probably the only option but I hope it does not prevent him improving his batting performances this year. He only averaged 24 in the Championship last season which is less than Wally was doing when some (including me) were calling for Cooke to take the gloves. He did no better in the 50 over competition. We need him to regain his batting form.
Good luck to him. Hopefully his experience of the role will be different from Hogan's who looked and sounded shell shocked at times last season.
By bobbly4
I think Cooke's batting suffered because of his taking the wicket keeping role. Assuming a third role with the captaincy is not going to help. Don't hold your breath for an improvement in his batting averages this season.

Much better to put him down the order and hope for better performances from a new looking top 6.
By exileKT8
Best of luck to Cooke and we all wish him well. I take it Captaincy decisions are usually made before now as the new season gets ever nearer so does this confirm the search to bring in an experienced Bat / Captain is over.

I've just come across this - which might interest […]

Derbyshire

Not sure how we can rest both De Lange and TvdG. T[…]

CC v Sussex

Another good start with Sussex at 68-6, but... wh[…]