A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By TheMeakerton
Hi chaps,

I'm a journalist from The Cricketer and I've been doing this on other pages on the site. Essentially, I'm writing a ground guide for each stadium hosting matches during the upcoming World Cup.

I was hoping if the fine individuals who regularly frequent Sophia Gardens might be able to provide some info on where to eat and drink around the ground.

Cheers,
One thing that can be said is that in the ground itself there are plenty of places to buy food and drink
The one downside will be the queuing and if it is a large crowd you will do plenty of that
The downside is the price you pay
Inside the stadium very expensive food and drink
The outlet points in the concourse the food is excellent but again quite expensive with fish and chips over £10
However, because the stadium is so near the centre it takes about 5 minutes to walk there you will find plenty of eating houses at attractive prices
There is also the sports centre next door to the stadium that has a very nice cafeteria which does hot meals and snacks and salads
If you don’t mind the wait and paying plenty then by all means eat at the outlets on the concourse where the food is a lot nicer than the food inside the stadium
My self personally as I don’t like standing for too long I normally walk into the city and buy a snack or a meal and a drink which is normally half the price what I pay at the stadium
Hope this is some help to you
By JamesH
TheMeakerton wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am
Hi chaps,

I'm a journalist from The Cricketer and I've been doing this on other pages on the site. Essentially, I'm writing a ground guide for each stadium hosting matches during the upcoming World Cup.

I was hoping if the fine individuals who regularly frequent Sophia Gardens might be able to provide some info on where to eat and drink around the ground.

Cheers,
Drink:

Inside the Ground: Plenty of drinks stands within the ground selling the usual stadium beer and cider, usually around £5 a pop. Queues for this vary but busiest immediately before the game and during any intervals. Queues are naturally longer for busier games but not outrageous. There are also bars within the members stand and I think even a couple of cocktail 'vans' in the concourse.

Outside the Ground: Several pubs around the ground. Brewhouse (formally Y Mochyn Du) is closet and very popular with local and visiting fans. There are also pubs along Cathedral Road like the Pontcanna and The Cricketers (a favourite of mine), all just a few minutes from the ground. It is a 5 minute walk to the edge of the City Centre where there are more bars and pubs than you cans hake a stick at.

Food:

Inside the Ground: For busier games, usually T20s and internationals, there are plenty of food stands within the ground doing the usual burgers, chips, noodles, pizza, rolls etc. Quality and queues vary, but in general is vastly improved since a few seasons ago. All is fairly expensive though as the food stands (I think) are contracted in and not run by Glamorgan themselves.

Outside the Ground: Sit down food is available at the aforementioned pubs and there are some cafes and bakeries which do good food about 10 minutes from the stadium further north along Cathedral road. Importantly, these are much cheaper and where I will usually grab lunch during the 4 day games. Again, the centre of Cardiff is just a 10 minute walk away with multiple food outlets.

I'm sure if I have missed anything or got any details wrong I will be corrected! If you want to know any more send me a PM.
Somerset T20

So first four overs and last one we score 83 and i[…]

Gloucestershire T20

Funny time to have - 230pm on a Friday afternoon..[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]

Live Stream!

Hopefully for all T20 games https://www.glamorgan[…]