A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By hujon64
Have stated before that I have a friend who often gets ‘gossip’ from inside Glamorgan most of which has proved to be true or unconfirmed. He rang me earlier as he knew I’d be interested in the DOC appointment. Apparently, the actual number of applicants was low (probably overwhelmed by the job description and financial status of Club) with only 4 interviewed. One withdrew during the interview process and only one was working as a Coach at a County and that in an Assistant role without the higher level academic and administrative qualifications desired. Wallace was by far the best candidate as far as matching the vast different aspects of the job description and was the only one who understood the Welsh cricketing set up tied in with Glamorgan which is completely different to any other County. Any appointment can only be made by choosing the ‘best’ candidate from those who apply so we cannot really criticise those who made the appointment and without disrespecting Wallace in any way, he was obviously the best of a ‘bad’ bunch. Much as we might love and clamour for an experienced, outstanding outsider, it’s obvious they don’t want us!!!
exileKT8 liked this
By djronnieb65
Hugh
I don’t whether you read the job description for the DOC but when I looked it was a glorified ceo job
It comprised mostly of meet and greet interviews with players about contracts and not a lot about organising a good cricket team and coaches
Wallace will be doing most of Hugh Morris CEO work so he can have an easy time just organising the one day internationals and the 100 cup
I doubt if Wallace will have much time to watch any cricket
I’m not surprised that not many people applied for the post
The important position will be
the head coach job
We should be used to it by now but the club is still being run like a circus
My only hope is that we don’t get the same results as when the circus clown Colin Metson had the job
By Nick_Glam
I wish him luck in the job and it is obviously far too soon to judge the appointment right now.

I think we are in for another hugely challenging season next year.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
My biggest concern remains why we cannot convert talented age-group cricketers into competent professionals as almost every other county seems to be able to do. That has to be the priority to sort out.
By Bubbles
Jobs for the boys!,
I have said all along that that the CEO in his new role is just looking after his pension.
He has frightened candidates off with the job description which would only mean that someone from Glamorgan would get the job. Wallace is a nice man but has no experience of such a role and I genuinely wish all the best but if things do not go right he will take the wrap not the CEO. From what I hear Maynard does not have the respect of the players which does not auger well for the future.
For the first time in nearly fifty years I will not renew my membership and will watch from afar. The new team have the opportunity to put things right and I really do wish them well but I foresee many excuses why this is not working or happening but and the same time taking home a nice wedge!
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am Jobs for the boys!,
I have said all along that that the CEO in his new role is just looking after his pension.
He has frightened candidates off with the job description which would only mean that someone from Glamorgan would get the job. Wallace is a nice man but has no experience of such a role and I genuinely wish all the best but if things do not go right he will take the wrap not the CEO. From what I hear Maynard does not have the respect of the players which does not auger well for the future.
For the first time in nearly fifty years I will not renew my membership and will watch from afar. The new team have the opportunity to put things right and I really do wish them well but I foresee many excuses why this is not working or happening but and the same time taking home a nice wedge!
Desperately need someone from outside. If it is not going to be the DoC it has to be the new coach. Fine to promote from within when things have been going well. However the Glamorgan playing and development side needs a major rethink.
exileKT8 liked this
By exileKT8
Rather than waffle on repeating sentiments already aired I have given likes. I join in wishing Mark Wallace the best, I never heard anything other than he is a good man. I agree this now makes MM perhaps not the ideal choice as Coach but are there any viable alternatives with no Glammy history. Outsiders from overseas like a Warren Gatland do not come cheap, Glammy do not the WRU`s money.

Merry Xmas to all on here and best wishes for 2019.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:13 pm Rather than waffle on repeating sentiments already aired I have given likes. I join in wishing Mark Wallace the best, I never heard anything other than he is a good man. I agree this now makes MM perhaps not the ideal choice as Coach but are there any viable alternatives with no Glammy history. Outsiders from overseas like a Warren Gatland do not come cheap, Glammy do not the WRU`s money.

Merry Xmas to all on here and best wishes for 2019.
I'm not sure Glamorgan are any worse off than most other counties.
By Bubbles
Don't for one minute think that Glamorgan are the poor relations of county cricket. I would bet my pension that all three CEO, DOC and head coach will all be on six figure salaries. Someone mentioned that other counties are more successful at nurturing their youngsters while ours mostly flounder. The system at academy and under 17 level must be quickly addressed. There are thirty nine cricket boards throughout the UK would it not be a good idea to cast our net wider and link up with other boards if our cupboard is bare?
I believe there is nearly half million sitting in cricket wales's coffers just showing that they can handle government money. Cricket Wales is purporting to be a not for profit organisation so how about giving Glamorgan money to employ a UK based scouting systems? Too forward thinking to even consider?
lovecricket liked this
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:40 pm Don't for one minute think that Glamorgan are the poor relations of county cricket. I would bet my pension that all three CEO, DOC and head coach will all be on six figure salaries. Someone mentioned that other counties are more successful at nurturing their youngsters while ours mostly flounder. The system at academy and under 17 level must be quickly addressed. There are thirty nine cricket boards throughout the UK would it not be a good idea to cast our net wider and link up with other boards if our cupboard is bare?
I believe there is nearly half million sitting in cricket wales's coffers just showing that they can handle government money. Cricket Wales is purporting to be a not for profit organisation so how about giving Glamorgan money to employ a UK based scouting systems? Too forward thinking to even consider?
By all means look around but there are plenty of boys playing cricket in Wales that should provide a few Glamorgan players of the future. Too often they have fallen at the final hurdle and that is an issue.
By Shamu
W DOC#26700

By Bubbles - Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:40 pm
“Don't for one minute think that Glamorgan are the poor relations of county cricket. I would bet my pension that all three CEO, DOC and head coach will all be on six figure salaries.”

1 out of 3 - hence why the top guys won’t come to Cardiff. Never wise to gamble your pension.
By hujon64
As far as salaries are concerned, Hugh Morris almost certainly on 6 figures but doubt that DOC or Head Coach would realistically be more than 60k. In The advert for DOC candidates were asked to state ‘current’ salary. The advert for Wallace’s previous PCA job quotes a salary of £32 to 36k with car allowance and benefits package so probably no more than £4Ok - £44k overall. If the salary for DOC was 6 figures, would have attracted far more candidates and, possibly, a higher profile person. Wallace lives in Cardiff and has children so no relocation, new schools, etc so an attractive option for him and Glamorgan financially.
By glammysupporter
As far as salaries are concerned, Hugh Morris almost certainly on 6 figures but doubt that DOC or Head Coach would realistically be more than 60k. In The advert for DOC candidates were asked to state ‘current’ salary. The advert for Wallace’s previous PCA job quotes a salary of £32 to 36k with car allowance and benefits package so probably no more than £4Ok - £44k overall. If the salary for DOC was 6 figures, would have attracted far more candidates and, possibly, a higher profile person. Wallace lives in Cardiff and has children so no relocation, new schools, etc so an attractive option for him and Glamorgan financially.

Correct. The DOC is a 60k job and nowhere near 6 figures.

Wally has almost doubled his salary but good luck to him.
By Bubbles
I have been reliably informed that Wallace was on six figures as captain of the club and that another player who joined from another county had an instant increase in his salary by £30 grand plus. Please don't get fooled to think that employees are doing work for the goodness of their hearts it is 2019. They may pay youngsters peanuts but there are some surprising earners at Glamorgan and they take home their money without much fear of accountability. As mentioned in previous posts the finger was squarely pointed at Crofty when the CEO was let off lightly. Yes I know he reduced the club debt but paid little or no attention to the cricket side which leaves us where we are now. As I repeatedly say by the time things come to a head the CEO can then sit on his pension and be able to blame all and sundry without looking in the mirror!
By hujon64
I am also reliably informed that Wallace was on about £60k as Captain whilst Jim Allenby, Vice Captain was on £150k!!! Also, as Coach, Croft was only on about 60k. I can’t validate these figures - can anyone???
Gerraint Jones

Is in the middle of training to become an on call […]

Maynard new 3 year deal

Maynard staying on as coach. Matthew Maynard: Gl[…]

Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]