A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Countyman
Again, an encouraging start, but can we maintain the pressure as the ball loses its hardness? Procter keeps his place at 3 (has to be questionable to my mind), but youth is represented by Gouldstone and Sales.
By Shortlegs
Good first day and we did well considering we have a very limited pace attack due to injuries. Taylor and Sanderson were both outstanding. It's hard to imagine them repeating the feat in the second innings so we'll need to bat well to give ourselves a good chance of getting something from the game.
By Countyman
89-4 at lunch, about par for the course with our top order and again the pressure is on the skipper and lower order.
By Den Buckett
115-6 on a perfect day for batting. Unacceptable really and I hope they are doing everything they can to get better batsmen in. With a very average player like Keogh being given an extended contract, it seems they may not be. So often all the good work our bowlers do is lost.
By Den Buckett
Can’t see us chasing much more than 200 so we need lots of early wickets tomorrow.
By Countyman
Yes, Surrey are still just about in sight but, unless Amla in particular can be removed first thing, our prospects for a win appear remote. Just hope someone can step up with the confidence and mindset to mount a credible challenge.
By Countyman
Are we ever going to take this last wicket? Was 155-9, and now we are looking at 300+ to chase. As so often, the killer instinct is totally lacking to finish the job efficiently.
Last edited by Countyman on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Longsuffering
Surrey no longer in sight! A familiar story with the opposition on the ropes and yet again the Northamptonshire bowlers cannot finish the job.
By Shortlegs
Den Buckett wrote:115-6 on a perfect day for batting. Unacceptable really and I hope they are doing everything they can to get better batsmen in. With a very average player like Keogh being given an extended contract, it seems they may not be. So often all the good work our bowlers do is lost.
I still think Surrey are favourites but at least Gay and Keogh have given us a chance today. Fingers crossed.

I agree with your comments above, except that I think Keogh had already done enough this season to warrant a new contract. I've been very critical of him in recent seasons as he's performed all too rarely. However, although his form had dropped off recently, overall I think he's really stepped up this season and I'm hoping we'll see the best of him in the next couple of seasons.

With one more quality batsman and a quality bowler of real pace (I haven't been impressed with Glover and he's the fastest we've got) we have the makings of a very decent CC side in the next few years.
By Countyman
On another perfect day, things look promising at lunch to go on and complete a creditable win, the over-riding hope being we don't see an England-style collapse during the afternoon session!

It is perhaps timely that David Ripley has announced his departure from the Head Coach position at the end of the season, as it is clear that fresh input and different ideas are required to provide the first team with a new impetus and sense of purpose and direction in the future.

https://nccc.co.uk/news/david-ripley-to ... er-season/
By Den Buckett
Shortlegs wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 am
Den Buckett wrote:115-6 on a perfect day for batting. Unacceptable really and I hope they are doing everything they can to get better batsmen in. With a very average player like Keogh being given an extended contract, it seems they may not be. So often all the good work our bowlers do is lost.
I still think Surrey are favourites but at least Gay and Keogh have given us a chance today. Fingers crossed.

I agree with your comments above, except that I think Keogh had already done enough this season to warrant a new contract. I've been very critical of him in recent seasons as he's performed all too rarely. However, although his form had dropped off recently, overall I think he's really stepped up this season and I'm hoping we'll see the best of him in the next couple of seasons.

With one more quality batsman and a quality bowler of real pace (I haven't been impressed with Glover and he's the fastest we've got) we have the makings of a very decent CC side in the next few years.
His first class average is just 29 which is lower than Wakely who I did not rate as a batsman either. Is he likely to improve any further at his age?
By Den Buckett
Countyman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:19 pm On another perfect day, things look promising at lunch to go on and complete a creditable win, the over-riding hope being we don't see an England-style collapse during the afternoon session!

It is perhaps timely that David Ripley has announced his departure from the Head Coach position at the end of the season, as it is clear that fresh input and different ideas are required to provide the first team with a new impetus and sense of purpose and direction in the future.

Looks like Sadler and White so not really fresh ideas which is disappointing.
By Countyman
Phew! Thankfully, young Sales held his nerve to finally guide the team over the line. A good win in terms of team effort and encouraging to see more middle order consistency, but something of a task not made any easier by Surrey's last wicket stand.

Den Buckett wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:34 pm
Countyman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:19 pm On another perfect day, things look promising at lunch to go on and complete a creditable win, the over-riding hope being we don't see an England-style collapse during the afternoon session!

Looks like Sadler and White so not really fresh ideas which is disappointing.
Most likely the cheapest option!
By Shortlegs
His first class average is just 29 which is lower than Wakely who I did not rate as a batsman either. Is he likely to improve any further at his age?
[/quote]

Actually I think he is improving. His average this season in red-ball cricket is 40, so well above the career average you mention. He was also our top scorer in T20 this year.

Oh! And so nice to get a win today. Nice to see us come out the right side of a tight game for once.
By Longsuffering
A heartening win achieved by Northants with some sensible grafting with the bat. Northants have in the past been the scourge of Surrey when they won the County Championship for a number of years in succession. One remembers only too well their undoing by the likes of Subba Row, Lightfoot, Tribe and Manning to name just a few of that era. So it was great to see a County with so many financial resources at their disposal come second today. All in all a great advert for County cricket with a match keenly contested, fine weather and a wicket which was a credit to the ground staff.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]