A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Shortlegs
On Wednesday the problem was our miserable batting and it looks the same today. All the dismissals have been so simple. Levi is totally out of sorts and Keogh and Rossington seem to have lost their mojo.

We haven't had a decent start with the bat in T20 for ages.
By onemorerun
We have started the competition with not only four defeats but, in t20 terms, four absolute thrashings.

All previous comments apply equally to this latest embarrassment.
By Countyman
... and this time we did win the toss!

Levi appears now to be a walking wicket and there is little other effective support for Vasconcelos. At least, Parnell and White were allowed their full allocation this time, proving the most reliable, but for the rest... business as usual! Nabi should now be under no illusions as to what needs to be done.

Will the climate afford us a point today, I wonder?
By Countyman
Riveting bottom of the table clash v Leics next up... surely, we should be able to prevail over a side as equally inept as us so far! We shall see.
By Longsuffering
What an extremely disappointing bowling performance again by Northamptonshire against Leicestershire this afternoon. The bowling for the most part has been absolute rubbish as it has been in the earlier games. Better application in thinking about where to pitch the ball might have stemmed the flow of runs.
By Shortlegs
Almost as poor with the ball as we have been with the bat from day 1. What a complete disaster the T20 has been so far. We seem to have learned nothing from our first few defeats. I find it mind boggling that we continue to open with Levi and Rossington, when neither have shown any kind of form. We could have tried Graham White or Tom Taylor up the order as pinch hitters and dropped Rossington down - anything but simply repeat the same failing format again and again.

The coaching staff should be held responsible as much as the players. It's the manner of our defeats which is so hard to take. We've been THRASHED in 5 out of 5 games. In other sports heads would roll!!
By onemorerun
Shortlegs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 pm Almost as poor with the ball as we have been with the bat from day 1. What a complete disaster the T20 has been so far. We seem to have learned nothing from our first few defeats. I find it mind boggling that we continue to open with Levi and Rossington, when neither have shown any kind of form. We could have tried Graham White or Tom Taylor up the order as pinch hitters and dropped Rossington down - anything but simply repeat the same failing format again and again.

The coaching staff should be held responsible as much as the players. It's the manner of our defeats which is so hard to take. We've been THRASHED in 5 out of 5 games. In other sports heads would roll!!
Couldn't have put it better!

Just back from the ground, and can honestly say Northants did not compete for any part of the match. Bowlers leak runs and can't take wickets. Batsmen can't score quickly and can't build an innings either. Levi and Rossington have now scored 96 runs in ten completed innings. Parnell has never once looked like a number four batsman. But they persevere with the same old plan, hoping that one day it will come off. Maybe try White, Taylor or even Buck as a pinch hitter. Only bring Vasconcelos in when the power play is over and he can play to his strengths. Someone, maybe Vasconcelos or Keogh, needs to do the old Wakely role of staying in and building an innings. Wakely could be frustrating at times, and often seemed to cut it fine with his lack of urgency, but at the moment were not even getting close.

Frankly Northants currently look like amateurs playing against professionals.
By Countyman
Slammed by yet another opening bat, the opponents' form previous to this game would appear to put our continuing efforts, such as they are, into their true perspective! At the moment it is difficult to see where any improvement is likely to come from.
By Den Buckett
Tight bowling used to win us matches, we were never involved in that many high scoring thrillers. Now we can’t keep the opposition totals down and our batting is not good enough to compensate. The departure of Phil Rowe may be a factor.

We also keep doing the same thing over and over again despite it not working such as the bowling changes and Parnell at 4.

I can’t complain too much about the actual team selection, I don’t think we have much waiting in the wings. Gay, Thurston or Curran could be tried but are they any better? Procter may be useful if fit?
By Shortlegs
Den Buckett wrote:
I can’t complain too much about the actual team selection, I don’t think we have much waiting in the wings. Gay, Thurston or Curran could be tried but are they any better? Procter may be useful if fit?
Agreed. I think we're playing our best players for this format, but when it so clearly hasn't worked over 3 or 4 games the coach should be trying different things. Even with the same players the bowling routines, the batting order and/or the overall tactics could be changed. You can't expect different results by continuing to do the same thing.
By Den Buckett
Levi out and we win - maybe we weren’t playing our best side. To be fair to Levi he has not had a total as low as 158 to chase so has always needed to get on with it from the start.
By Shortlegs
I think we've left ourselves with too much to do to actually qualify for the QFs but nice to see a good performance with bat and ball and long may it continue!
By Shortlegs
Den Buckett wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:38 pm Levi out and we win - maybe we weren’t playing our best side. To be fair to Levi he has not had a total as low as 158 to chase so has always needed to get on with it from the start.
Apart from his current form, Levi's problem may be that he's too one dimensional for the modern T20 game. He relies on hitting boundaries but cannot run quick singles nor turn ones into twos etc, so it's basically hit out or get out. The likes of Vasconcelos, Keogh, Zaib and Rossington (sometimes) have more strings to their bow in terms of keeping the scoreboard ticking over.
By Countyman
Haven't done the mathematics, but assume it's too late for us now to progress in the competition. This result perhaps came out of the blue, but encouraging to see an auspicious debut from a new young blood in the form of Freddie Heldreich, his unorthodox left arm spin adding some much needed variation to the familiar attack.
CC v Durham

Again, our old bete noire, Chris Rushworth lays ba[…]