A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Den Buckett
The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gloucestershire. Luckily we are taking this competition seriously so I can't see how we can go wrong!
By onemorerun
I'm hopeful for our chances in the T20, but if you're looking for how we can go wrong, then picking the wrong players is a start.

A 15 man squad has been announced for the first match, but no place for Thurston (you know, the one who scored a century and a sixty this week and is one of our best fielders. No doubt making way for Wakely, who seems to have had three innings this year (including one T20 warm-up) and hasn't reached double figures (I think). Glad to see Tom Sole in the squad,but I hope we're not going to pick players based on their 2016 performance.

Of course, inevitably, the forecast is for Bristol to be hit by a monsoon from lunchtime tomorrow!
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:54 pm I'm hopeful for our chances in the T20, but if you're looking for how we can go wrong, then picking the wrong players is a start.

A 15 man squad has been announced for the first match, but no place for Thurston (you know, the one who scored a century and a sixty this week and is one of our best fielders. No doubt making way for Wakely, who seems to have had three innings this year (including one T20 warm-up) and hasn't reached double figures (I think). Glad to see Tom Sole in the squad,but I hope we're not going to pick players based on their 2016 performance.

Of course, inevitably, the forecast is for Bristol to be hit by a monsoon from lunchtime tomorrow!
You were right!
Next stop ... somewhere that never floods - Worcester.
By Shortlegs
Obviously there may be the odd change depending on the weather, state of wickets, injuries etc, but I think our strongest side would be:

Stirling
Levi
Cobb
Vasconcelos
Rossington
Wakely
Berg
White
Buck
Glover
Sanderson

On paper I think that's a pretty decent line-up, especially as this year there are virtually no overseas players in the competition. I'd have Thurston in the squad in case Wakely's form doesn't pick up, Muzarabani as a back-up seamer and Tom Sole as the back-up spinner, as he's also proved to be a big hitting T20 batsman.
By Shortlegs
I keep forgetting about Procter, who would also be a very useful sub for Berg as the seam-bowling allrounder.
By onemorerun
Shortlegs wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:24 am Obviously there may be the odd change depending on the weather, state of wickets, injuries etc, but I think our strongest side would be:

Stirling
Levi
Cobb
Vasconcelos
Rossington
Wakely
Berg
White
Buck
Glover
Sanderson

On paper I think that's a pretty decent line-up, especially as this year there are virtually no overseas players in the competition. I'd have Thurston in the squad in case Wakely's form doesn't pick up, Muzarabani as a back-up seamer and Tom Sole as the back-up spinner, as he's also proved to be a big hitting T20 batsman.
I had separately come up with almost the same team. I did, however, assume Thurston would be in the team as he is clearly the man in form. The bowlers pick themselves, as do Cobb, Levi, Stirling and Rossington, which leaves only two batting places between Vasconcelos, Thurston, Wakely and I guess Keogh or Procter. I'd have gone for Thurston and Vasconcelos, but I expect Wakely will be picked.

Muzarabani seemed expensive when attacked in the 4-day match, so I would expect to see Hutton in the team before him.
By onemorerun
Zaib and Sole instead of Vasconcelos and Berg.

Team-
Levi, Stirling, Cobb, Rossington, Wakely, Zaib, Sole, G White, Sanderson, Buck, Glover. Unusual to only have the three seamers, and potentially three spinners. Could be a batsman short?
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 pm Zaib and Sole instead of Vasconcelos and Berg.

Team-
Levi, Stirling, Cobb, Rossington, Wakely, Zaib, Sole, G White, Sanderson, Buck, Glover. Unusual to only have the three seamers, and potentially three spinners. Could be a batsman short?
The top 5 will have a lot to do - I can't see us getting anything significant from the last 6.
By onemorerun
Easy win. We clearly got the balance of the bowling right and Worcs didn't.

Different pitch today. Do we expect the same team, or drop a spinner for a seamer? If so, maybe Sole for Berg, but yesterday Sole seemed to be our best fielder.
By onemorerun
Yes, Berg replaced Sole.

171-6. Good innings by Rossington, Cobb and Zaib (hooray!) Honestly think that the one who shouldn't be in the team is Wakely. Bring in Thurston or Vasconcelos.
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 pm Yes, Berg replaced Sole.

171-6. Good innings by Rossington, Cobb and Zaib (hooray!) Honestly think that the one who shouldn't be in the team is Wakely. Bring in Thurston or Vasconcelos.
It is amazing he continues to be an automatic pick. Not only does he not score any sort of quantity of runs, he also takes up balls. It was a blessing when he was out today because we had scored 33 from 5 overs during his time at the crease when we should have been pushing on . We then scored 24 off the last 9 balls.
Overall though a pleasing start against two strong counties but the worry remains that if the top 4 do not score well we could be in trouble.
By Shortlegs
Good win yesterday against a strong side. Important to see players like Zaib contributing. Excellent start to the competition but we may lose Rossington for a game or two which will be a big loss. I'm not sure about putting all our big hitters up top. When it works, it's great, but I'd like to see Cobb drop down to 4 or 5 if Rossington isn't playing to give us a boost in the middle order. Hopefully the likes of White, Buck and Tom Sole ( if he plays) can provide some power down the order if needed.

Anyway, a great start and if we can beat Warwicks tomorrow, we'll be well set before the "Break" whatever happens against Glamorgan
By onemorerun
If Rossington is injured, then Vasconcelos will be in, which given he's the club's best batsman, is a nice problem to have. Obviously he's less of a hitter than Rossington.

Surely if Wakely does nothing tonight, we've got to give someone else a chance?
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]