A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By onemorerun
Thurston, Keogh and Procter replace Newton, Levi and Zaib from last match.

Zaib hasn't bowled a ball in the last two games, will be interesting to see if Keogh does.
By Nick14
On a flat wicket the bowlers are, yet again, doing very well. 63-3 and wickets for Cotton, Buck and Hutton. The bowling attack in this game looks good to me. First time we have bowled first at home all year! We have won 7 games in all competitions this year - let's try and make that 8......
By onemorerun
87-6. But our best batsmen are yet to come in!

Apparently in each innings the ball was changed very early on and immediately caused a collapse. Maybe they accidentally used a tennis ball at the start.
By Nick14
There's sometihng particularly serendipitous about Sando (joint) top scoring with the bat in our last game of the season - says it all about the professional batters in the side.....
By Nick14
So - as Sussex now build a lead - 34 at the moment, with 8 wickets in hand - it would also be very fitting for us to end this woeful season with yet another cackhanded defeat....bowling them out for 118 first up...being reduced to 111-9 but building a lead - reducing them to 5-2.....then still losing. How fitting would that be??!!
By Nick14
Victory! So, a better fitting end maybe - more positive. Curran looking promising, as is Cotton. 8 wins in all comps - three tons in the champ - huge improvements needed next year but a flicker of hope.....

Curran, Newton, Vasconcelos, Rossington, Hutton, Buck, Cotton, Sanderson

A decent spine there. Wakely must deliver more with the bat - then you could add him to the above. Then we have Blessing Muzarabani - not sure how he will work out but we shall see. Need a spinner at least one batter - really good batter!

They will still be around but I don't see a champ future for Keogh, Levi, Cobb - and jury out on the likes of Thurston, Zaib, Procter.

Here's to next year!
By Den Buckett
Nick14 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 pm Victory! So, a better fitting end maybe - more positive. Curran looking promising, as is Cotton. 8 wins in all comps - three tons in the champ - huge improvements needed next year but a flicker of hope.....

Curran, Newton, Vasconcelos, Rossington, Hutton, Buck, Cotton, Sanderson

A decent spine there. Wakely must deliver more with the bat - then you could add him to the above. Then we have Blessing Muzarabani - not sure how he will work out but we shall see. Need a spinner at least one batter - really good batter!

They will still be around but I don't see a champ future for Keogh, Levi, Cobb - and jury out on the likes of Thurston, Zaib, Procter.

Here's to next year!
Some good points, but I think we need a lot more than you are suggesting for next year. We are short of at least 3 batsmen, 2 allrounders and a spinner. Ripley has been talking about bringing in 2 players (and one of those just for t20) so it doesn't give me much hope that there will be many new players arriving.
A spinning allrounder is desperately needed for the number 8 position - we can't keep playing 4 bowlers who are poor with the bat. Procter may be OK at 7, but he will need some competition. As for the batting, they can't be soft and keep giving Keogh, Wakely (and possibly Levi) chances. There must be an overhaul of the batting.
By Shortlegs
Agree with both the last posts. Some hope and promise based on this victory but a lot of work to be done. Newton, Vasconcelos, Curran and Rossington could become the start of a new-look CC batting line-up.

I honestly think Wakely should call time on his CC career. We can't just keep hoping he'll get better after so many years. Keogh and Levi are also very close to this point.

We are not going to get all we need, but in my opinion we must have a TOP batsman, preferably for all formats, a good all rounder to compete with Procter and a quality spinner. Keogh and Cobb are useful as occasional spinners, Zaib never seems to get to bowl and White is now a one day player only.
By Nick14
I agree - I guess I was factoring in my realistic expectations - in an ideal world several new bats are needed - but I doubt that will happen - so start by looking at what we have and what could be ok. So a champ XI like this:

Curran
Newton
Vasconcelos
New bat
New bat
Rossington
New spinning all rounder
Hutton
Buck
Cotton
Sanderson

Would be pretty decent - as long as those new positions were quality players. Blessing is there too as another option. One day side is harder - but at least Levi and Cobb are better in that format.
By Shortlegs
Nick14 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 am I agree - I guess I was factoring in my realistic expectations - in an ideal world several new bats are needed - but I doubt that will happen - so start by looking at what we have and what could be ok. So a champ XI like this:

Curran
Newton
Vasconcelos
New bat
New bat
Rossington
New spinning all rounder
Hutton
Buck
Cotton
Sanderson

Would be pretty decent - as long as those new positions were quality players. Blessing is there too as another option. One day side is harder - but at least Levi and Cobb are better in that format.
As I said before I don't think we'll get more than one new batsman, especially of we have to pay out for a top international player. That means probably one of Wakely/Levi or Thurston for that other spot, but if it's only one of them that's a significant improvement. Although that seam attack looks good, I'd be tempted to play 3 of them + Procter who is a decent 4th seamer and could give us a bit more batting depth at number 8.
By Bucksman
As far as Wakely is concerned, it could well be of benefit to the club if he resigned the captaincy to enable him to concentrate fully on his batting. There is general staleness about his demeanour on field and now is really the time for change.

He himself has described this season as 'brutal' and, certainly, from the way he batted in the second innings on Tuesday, he looked like a man almost trying to get himself out, rather taking on the appearance of an unsuccessful fly fisherman airily waving his bat around without a trace of footwork into the bargain!

The more proactive and animated Rossington would seem an ideal replacement in the role, notwithstanding certain fitness issues admittedly curtailing his availability over the season as a whole.
Lancashire at Colwyn Bay

Starting to think about who will take the field fo[…]

AUSTRALIA

Eoin Morgan will not indicate to the spectators a […]

CC v Worcs

Good first day for us. Now can the batsmen give us[…]

Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]