A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By onemorerun
I didn't know whether it was worth starting a new thread, as the story of the match - bowling good, batting shocking - would apply to virtually every CC match this year.

Hutton and Gleeson (and bad light) currently saving us from complete embarrassment again.
By Bucksman
Yep, no surprises at all, in clearly bowler-friendly conditions.

The end of the innings is likely to happen quickly against fresh bowlers (particularly Henry) this morning, so we can only hope to have a chance of staying in the game by bowling even better second time round!
By Shortlegs
Anyone know whay Newton is not back in the team yet? He seems to have been out a long time (again!)
By Bucksman
Shortlegs wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:31 am
Anyone know whay Newton is not back in the team yet? He seems to have been out a long time (again!)

Nothing definite, of course, but still not match fit by most accounts!
By Bucksman
Sadly, with conditions seemingly easier, things are not looking too good now.
By Bucksman
Billings is holding the lower order together, but well bowled Richard Gleeson. With our current batting this will be a stiff challenge, if not actually impossible!
By Den Buckett
Bucksman wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:51 pm
Billings is holding the lower order together, but well bowled Richard Gleeson. With our current batting this will be a stiff challenge, if not actually impossible!
Surprise surprise! You were right, around 200 was about what I expected with this line -up. A poor top 6 and the last 5 are always likely to go cheaply. I can' t blame Curran or Vasco in their first season with us. Procter is a number 7 or 8 so can't blame him. Rossington gets his fair share for a wicketkeeper. Wakely and Levi disappoint every time. Maybe Levi is going at the end of the season and just seeing out his time. Wakely always says 'we need somebody to get that 100 to get us over the line' but never does it himself with just one hundred all season and still only 8 career hundreds.
By onemorerun
Den Buckett wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:32 pm
Wakely always says 'we need somebody to get that 100 to get us over the line' but never does it himself with just one hundred all season and still only 8 career hundreds.
It's admittedly a flawed analysis, but Wakely has scored a century every 27 innings. A couple of random comparisons involving other players who are/were simply good county players rather than real stars - Riki Wessels scores a century every 15 innings, Rob Bailey had one every 14 innings, the same as David Sales. The great Allan Lamb scored a century for every 9 innings for Northants.

Wakely made his debut in July 2007 but of course missed one whole season due to injury. It seems remarkable (on the bare numbers) for a top-order batsman who doesn't bowl, to score on average a century less than once per season, and yet still seemingly not be under pressure for his place in the team.
By Shortlegs
onemorerun wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:59 pm
It's admittedly a flawed analysis, but Wakely has scored a century every 27 innings. A couple of random comparisons involving other players who are/were simply good county players rather than real stars - Riki Wessels scores a century every 15 innings, Rob Bailey had one every 14 innings, the same as David Sales. The great Allan Lamb scored a century for every 9 innings for Northants.

Wakely made his debut in July 2007 but of course missed one whole season due to injury. It seems remarkable (on the bare numbers) for a top-order batsman who doesn't bowl, to score on average a century less than once per season, and yet still seemingly not be under pressure for his place in the team.
Agreed. I've been saying this for some time. Ironically though, now (at least the rest of this season) would perhaps be the worst time to drop him, when we are finally blooding youngsters who need some experience around them while they find their feet at this level.
By Den Buckett
I think he was getting away with it whilst the results remained reasonably good. Now more supporters seem to be agreeing with me. It also has to be remembered that the likes of Bailey and Lamb played against all the counties, Wakely has only ever played against bottom division teams.
By onemorerun
And Bailey and Lamb played in the days when England players weren't 'rested', and the overseas players were the genuine stars. Bowling attacks were definitely much better in those days.

How would Wakely and co fare versus Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Wayne Daniel, Devon Malcolm, Underwood, Emburey, Alan Donald, Hadlee, Clive Rice, etc? I don't think we'd ever reach 100.

Last year I heard a group of 1970s Essex players describing the sheer terror of facing Malcom Marshall at Bournemouth - what's the equivalent this season? Div Two's leading wicket-takers are Henry (Kent), Robinson (Sussex) and Harris (Middlesex). Probably honest, decent bowlers (like some of ours) but no comparison with the greats of the past.
Somerset v Kent 19/4/19

Oh dear! :no: But we do seem to have created a r[…]

50 overs v Durham

Oh dear! It's probably no more than could be expe[…]

Hampshire

Not surprised to see the same 13 as not many other[…]

GDPR

Hi all, You're probably bored of all the GDPR ema[…]