A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Shortlegs
A bit of juggling with the side. Unfortunately the same result - far too many runs being conceded (which is one of the reasons I praised Prasanna, as he has been BY FAR our most economical bowler in recent games). Wasn't McCleod's century the third scored against us already in this T20 campaign? After 5 games that's atrocious. Obviously that kind of score puts batsmen under pressure, but still not a very impressive batting performance from such an experienced line up, although nice to see Kleinveldt and Prasanna hit a few big sixes.

When do we get back to the CC?
By onemorerun
Next CC match, v Derbys (away) 22nd July (Sunday).

But before then, we're playing Birmingham tonight in T20 (not that you'd know it from our website). 7pm start for some reason.

Yesterday - another heavy defeat, made to look slightly less bad by some late hits from Prasanna and Kleinveldt.

Agreed, best bowler Prasanna (3 overs). Second most economical bowler (not that that's saying much) was Cobb (1 over). Seamers all bowling garbage for more than ten runs an over given a full four overs each.

Interesting comment on Sky that the pitch clearly favoured the away team with their faster bowlers. Of course, we have to produce a 'fair' wicket, but can we do nothing to help our own bowlers (or at least blunt the opposition)?

I looked up Gleeson's recent performances in the Seconds, and they're not at all impressive, but he would give a bit of variety. Also give Zaib a game?

I fear for this season we might just be rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic - we need some new players to replace those at the end of their careers.
By Bucksman
Sadly, our Scotsman had no answer to their Scotsman who, only last month, gave England a good ODI thrashing in Edinburgh, so we probably had no chance! It's perhaps unfortunate that Sanderson, in particular, appears unable to translate his CC economy to the T20 format.

With so many players struggling to impose themselves in any meaningful way, David Ripley's selection choices are being reduced effectively to the level of the blindfold variety!
By onemorerun
Great innings by Ian Bell, but proof at Birmingham tonight, our bowlers are incapable of defending any total, even a record one. One point for a tie not much use for us.

Prasanna 0-51, Patel 1-27. As someone said a game or two ago, Prasanna is really not having the impact that you want from your overseas player. Also, White again bowled a single over - Wakely really doesn't seem to trust him.
By Den Buckett
It seems to be a waste of time keeping White on the staff now. He is only playing one-day cricket and when he does play he rarely bowls his full allocation.
By onemorerun
Den Buckett wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am
It seems to be a waste of time keeping White on the staff now. He is only playing one-day cricket and when he does play he rarely bowls his full allocation.
I was thinking that myself just before you posted it. Is White keeping Zaib out of the team?

Commentator last night was saying what a great innings it was from Bell. He's obviously a good player, but you have to question why he has scored his first t20 century at the age of 36. And why it was such an innings (131 off 62 balls). Answer surely has to be that our bowling allowed him to play it.
By Bucksman
onemorerun wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am
Commentator last night was saying what a great innings it was from Bell. He's obviously a good player, but you have to question why he has scored his first t20 century at the age of 36. And why it was such an innings (131 off 62 balls). Answer surely has to be that our bowling allowed him to play it.

Yes, it probably, as much as anything, sums up the current state of our attack, and we can only wonder what it will take to actually win a game at all.

It's rapidly becoming an irrelevance anyway, as even if we should win our remaining 8 matches (as good as impossible), a total of 17 points is highly unlikely to be sufficient to qualify. Of course, I would hope to be very much mistaken!
By onemorerun
We are now generally 100/1 to win the t20 and 200/1 to win CC division 2.

So here's the plan - put £25 on the double, and retire at the end of the season with £0.5 million in the bank.

As for tonight, will we see Gleeson for the first time since May? He doesn't seem to have been in very good form for the seconds, but none of the other options have worked.
By Shortlegs
Another opposition T20 hundred. I think that's 5 we've conceded in 7 matches. Outrageous considering most counties will probably only get 1 or 2 T20 hundreds per season. Another horrible and emabarassing mauling. What is wrong with our bowling in this competition?
By Den Buckett
The standard of bowling is a worry, but probably more worrying is the general attitude in the field - the lack of urgency, enthusiasm and spirit. Has this come about because of the run of losses or are the players unhappy for another reason?
By onemorerun
I agree with both of those comments. Fielding woes summed up by the way Prasanna took a catch then walked backwards over the boundary, giving away a six. No replays of course but my impression at the time wasn't that he was pushed off balance by the ball but simply that he didn't know where the boundary was. Looked amateurish.

Gleeson got flayed in his second over, but otherwise did show what we've been missing.

Several times, opponents' overseas players have proved to be different class. Ours are just ordinary, and our opponents know it. Prasanna has never looked like a match winner, and Kleinveldt I fear is past his best. Same applies to Crook, and White too cannot be around next year. He is keeping Zaib out of the team.

Coetzer hasn't worked out. Six runs in two innings and one over for 19. Depriving Procter of a chance.

Much of the crowd last night wasn't even annoyed by our performance, they were just laughing at it. For members and life members to have just given upon the present team is something the club needs to address.

Ripley can't be blamed for us losing Willey and Stone, and his recruits have looked good on paper, but he does need to get a grip and maybe gamble on youth - Zaib, Durston?

Comments have focused on bowling but batting not great either. Batting coach Sales is either being ignored by players, or has nothing to add. Sorry, his appointment looked uninspired and so it has proved.

Final thought - we raised a million last year and used it largely to pay off debt. That's good but not getting a Guptill or a Dan Christian is starting to look like a false economy.
By Bucksman
onemorerun wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:56 am
Final thought - we raised a million last year and used it largely to pay off debt. That's good but not getting a Guptill or a Dan Christian is starting to look like a false economy.
Quote from David Ripley:-

"It's not a million miles away from being a strong Northants side, but other teams have caught up a bit and you look at some of the opposition players, overseas players who they have spent money on to bring into their squads."

"Maybe that emphasis from other counties is making the competition tougher."

Now there's more time off until the 2-game away trek up north to reflect on this latest trashing, perhaps some consideration may start to be given to that particular avenue of investment!
By Hyphen
I would suggest sides have done more than caught up a bit; they have gone steaming past us and we are the ones that now need to catch up! Think we have been lazy with the recruitment, very easy just to bring back Kleinveldt and Prasanna rather than go out and recruit a top class international player as other counties have done. T20 is evolving all the time, there was a time when 160 was a decent score, now anything light of 190 looks under par!
By Shortlegs
I agree with the above but in the main we haven"t struggled to make decent scores but we have been poor with the ball and in the field. It concerns me that Ripley has not cimmented on this directly. The number of batsmen who"ve scored centuries against us this season must be unprecedented for any county.
By onemorerun
We now play Thursday v Durham, Friday v Yorks then Sunday (2.30) v 'Bears' at home.

Duckett's interview on club site says “It’s important now for individuals, whether bowlers or batters, to perform.”. I hadn't thought of that. At least we have a plan.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'd like to see Zaib and Procter given a chance, and Gleeson and Sanderson bowling together. We're effectively out of this competition, so can we just go out and entertain? Which doesn't mean five dot balls and a scratchy single off the first over.
It's Maynard

Shortage of available applicants - or not seen as[…]

Recruitment

Glamorgan have signed a 29 year old Queensland bat[…]

Smith vs Van der Gugten

Two Glamorgan players are in action at the moment […]