A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Den Buckett
Vee wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:08 am Very difficult for 4 and 5 to go hard when 3 wickets go down in the power play which is what seems to have happened in most matches. To post match winning scores one of the first three need to go big.
You would hope they could at least score at a run a ball without taking too many risks.

Also a period of consolidation is fine if you then stay in and pick up the rate later. If you score at less than a run a ball and then get out it's a recipe for disaster.
Vee liked this
By Vee
Another nail biting finish but our bowling was great - all on form - and Levi and Cobby did well with the bat
Well done - two more wins needed now
Last edited by Vee on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Vee
Vee wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pm Another nail biting finish but our bowling was great - all on form - and Levi and Cobby did well with the bat
By Den Buckett
Vee wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pm Another nail biting finish but our bowling was great - all on form - and Levi and Cobby did well with the bat
Yes 2 more wins, but we also need Derbyshire to lose and for the run rate to change if that is the criteria.

As for today, we got the win we needed, but we were in total control and ended up with a nervy finish. Keogh and Wakely dreadful again, how many times have they had a chance to finish a match off and made a mess of it?
By onemorerun
Wholly agree.

Derbyshire won today so we now need Worcs to lose to Notts, us to beat Yorks, then we beat Worcs on Friday and get above them on run rate. Definitely a long shot!
By Shortlegs
I agree Vee but everybody needs to be able to score at at least a run a ball in T20, even when settling the ship and a T20 batsman has to be able to up the pace after that. Yesterday Levi and Cobb finally offered a bit of impetus at the top and and Pretorius too. It must be said that Wakely and Keogh's slow scoring then nearly messed things up from a very strong position.
By onemorerun
Den Buckett wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 pm Worcestershire washout so we are out.
Yes, not that we've deserved to go through. A very disappointing campaign. The overseas signings looked good on paper, can't blame Ripley, the players themselves just haven't performed. On Friday, Worcs will be playing for a home quarter final, but the Yorks match is entirely meaningless for both sides. In the circumstances I would love to see some different selections. Say Thurston and Zaib, maybe even Gay, who's been doing well in the seconds, and/or Curran. Give them a chance to show what they can do. Playing Wakely and White, for example, will tell us absolutely nothing. I expect it will be business as usual though, with the same old selections that have underperformed so far. And for goodness' sake rest Sanderson.
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 pm
Den Buckett wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 pm Worcestershire washout so we are out.
Yes, not that we've deserved to go through. A very disappointing campaign. The overseas signings looked good on paper, can't blame Ripley, the players themselves just haven't performed. On Friday, Worcs will be playing for a home quarter final, but the Yorks match is entirely meaningless for both sides. In the circumstances I would love to see some different selections. Say Thurston and Zaib, maybe even Gay, who's been doing well in the seconds, and/or Curran. Give them a chance to show what they can do. Playing Wakely and White, for example, will tell us absolutely nothing. I expect it will be business as usual though, with the same old selections that have underperformed so far. And for goodness' sake rest Sanderson.
The next Championship match isn't until 10th September so I can't see the need to rest players through tiredness with the exception of Sanderson who has had a busy season and will be crucial for the last 3 matches. However I hope they do try a few of the youngsters now we are out, rather than persisting with the players who have knocked us out!
By onemorerun
As expected, Ripley went with the same old selections, with the same old result. Well done Sole with the bat; otherwise (barring the first over for Levi) absolutely nothing positive.

Bowling, batting, captaincy, catching - all embarrassingly poor.

Please can we try some youngsters tomorrow? We can hardly be accused of fielding a weakened team when our supposed first eleven has rarely looked remotely competent throughout the whole competition.
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 pm As expected, Ripley went with the same old selections, with the same old result. Well done Sole with the bat; otherwise (barring the first over for Levi) absolutely nothing positive.

Bowling, batting, captaincy, catching - all embarrassingly poor.

Please can we try some youngsters tomorrow? We can hardly be accused of fielding a weakened team when our supposed first eleven has rarely looked remotely competent throughout the whole competition.
It was disappointing not to see Curran, Thurston or Zaib, at least give them a try now we are out.
Loyalty could end up costing Ripley his job he keeps putting in several players who are not good enough. The disastrous one-day form has gone on for long enough now to make it obvious that changes are needed.
By Bucksman
A dead rubber, this proved, for us, yet another of those one-sided, non-contests of a match. Sadly, we have become a side of serial under-performers in this format, with the overseas pair, in particular, failing to make any significant impact when needed.

Wakely, especially, has become a shadow of the player he was, considering he led us to two T20 titles, and now seems content to merely occupy a place in the team, totally lacking the positivity and urgency with the bat that contributed so much to those past triumphs.

Perhaps now David Ripley will be persuaded to effect the clear out necessary to enable the next generation of players to state their case for the future.
By onemorerun
A good win down to aggressive batting by Rossington, Cobb and later Pretorius. For the first time, we didn't lose lots of early wickets and therefore didn't have to have Wakely, Keogh etc "rebuilding".

Given the context, I would still rather have seen some youngsters being tried. I really dont see what is achieved by playing White, for example. Will he even be here next year, or has Ripley told him he can play as long as he wants?

I remain unconvinced by the captaincy. Keogh (unexpectedly our best bowler this year) was brought on only in the 15th over and took 2-12 in 2 overs. White was given the full 4 overs, 0-41. Sole not given a bowl.

We finished 7th out of 9, yet Radio Northampton were trying to say it was a good but unlucky campaign - apparently we would have qualified but for the fact that we were robbed by rain at Leicester (fair enough), rained off completely in the return fixture (which we would have won!), were beaten at Durham when everyone else was rained off, and so on. Somewhat delusional.

A positive to end on - Muzarabani looked promising as a bowler (though looked a bit stiff in the field).
CC v Durham

Our last two wickets put on 67, of which Hutton an[…]

Yorkshire v Kent

With Kent 39 f 5 on Monday, whilst still hoping so[…]

Leicestershire

NOTICE THAT THE FINAL MEMBERS FORUM IS SCHEDULED […]