A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Den Buckett
We have picked the team I predicted, but really disappointed that Newton has replaced Curran rather than Wakely. Curran has not pulled up any trees, but needs the chance to develop rather than keep trying a player who has failed for many years.

It appears that Cobb and Levi are being 'saved' for the T20.
By Shortlegs
Den Buckett wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:48 am We have picked the team I predicted, but really disappointed that Newton has replaced Curran rather than Wakely. Curran has not pulled up any trees, but needs the chance to develop rather than keep trying a player who has failed for many years.
Agree 100% and to me another demonstration of Ripley's bind faith in certain players despite all the evidence saying it's time to drop them.

Keogh is another case in my opnion. I'm sick and tired of saying he's not an all-rounder. He still has the worst bowling average in the whole of Div 2 and that's not even surprising, as his bowling average has always been that of an occasional bowler. If he's going to make the team, it should be for his batting. Despite a reasonable overall average this season, the bulk of his runs came from one innings at Glamorgan, where half the batters got hundreds. Otherwise his record is very ordinary yet again.

Luke Procter has batted well, but is also an "all-rounder" whose bowling seems very unthreatening in the CC. It really is time to show a bit of adventure with the CC side. Curran, Thurston and Tom Sole could be the first options. Even if you choose the old guard, Cobb should be above Wakely and Keogh in the pecking oreder on current form, and he's at least as much an all rounder as Keogh is too.
By Bucksman
We're not quite out of the woods yet. The regulation poor start has been followed by yet another Wakely cameo - even now free of the shackles of captaincy, I doubt we shall ever see him produce scores of real substance - and provided Bavuma can remain, with some assistance from the rest, we should collect the points for a draw.
By onemorerun
Bavuma's out, but a draw looks pretty certain. Not just this match, but the season generally, going nowhere. Roll on the T20 - currently we're equal top of the group!
By Bucksman
Drawn, but with Durham's win over Sussex, we are now BOTTOM of Div 2. There is still time to improve, but it's reckoned the last time we finished bottom of the CC pile was in 1978, ironically, Lamby's first season!
By Shortlegs
Not clear what woud have happened if we hadn't lost a day, but match was fairly evenly poised. Bit disappointed Leicester didn't declare overnight giving us a chance to set them some sort of target. A draw is of little use to either side
By Bucksman
No doubt there are various ways of looking at the overnight position, but it's possible that Rossington would not have wanted to expose our unreliable top order in an attempt to quickly increase a slender lead in the time available on the last day. Nobody seems prepared to give an inch!
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

The first two players released

Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirement[…]