A forum for Kent CCC fans
By TWrex
Not the most straight forward place for me to get to, but always worth the effort. However, this year's hay fever strain has really got me in its grip, normally just have the most minor of symptons with the odd mildly inconvenient day. Pity, a top of the table clash and a chance to see Ian Bell score a classy fifty whilst the rest of the Warks. innings collapses around him (twice) with a large Kent score inbetween :whistle: . The pollen count forecast is very high over the next few days, but who knows it may change. If not some day/night championship cricket at Canterbury next week, followed by a little match at Lord's. :yes:
By gmdf
I will be at TW tomorrow and Canterbury next week...but can't go to the final at Lords! Booked tickets for another event months ago.. :brickwall:

Still, we've lost the last goodness knows how many finals when I've been there, so this maybe a good sign for the result! :pray:
By TWrex
We have been very consistent with our Lord's Finals since 1978, things must change surely, hopefully this time. With the cup final being played away from Lord's after next year I thought I had better take the chance while I could. Splashed out on a top tier grandstand seat, I saw Surrey v Warks. from there a couple of years ago and the view is terrific. Plus bars, food and toilets on hand and being given a wrist band to get in and out of the seating area gives me a fully undeserved sense of self importance. There is talk of a knock-out cup from 2020 with a Lord's Final, but it is all up in the air for now so have taken the plunge. I have done very well for cricket this year as I am fully in the Good Lady's Good Books by booking an overnight stay in Leeds Castle for the Summer Concert to celebrate a special birthday for her. I wonder how long this period of Grace will last after the event has taken place? :hug:
gmdf liked this
By TWrex
I clearly stated in my post yesterday that Warks. were to get two low totals, sandwiching a huge Kent score. I wish people would read things properly and act accordingly.
At least we have got our early season batting form back, 1 bonus point from 4 games. All those points against Glos. left me dizzy & suffering that again on top of my hay fever may have been just to much . Can Matt Henry come to the rescue again?
By gmdf
'Can Matt Henry....'? 'Yes he can'! With help from Podmore and Stevens!!

An excellent day of cricket, though I wonder if the pitch may be condemned - it was a trifle lively (not dangerous) with sideways movement all day.

I doubt they'll be much cricket at TW on Friday and Saturday!
By gmdf
Here's my full report on yesterday at TW (the only day I could get there!)

Spent yesterday at the Nevill Ground, Tunbridge Wells 50 years on from my first day of country cricket also there (not quite to the day - it was 22nd June that year for Kent vs Sussex!).

The journey from my home on the east Kent coast was even worse than expected - nearly 2 hours 45 minutes including a quick stop to pick up some lunch en route, not helped by the fact that Tunbridge Wells have closed a major road to the ground for repairs: the last 3 miles took nearly 55 minutes to negotiate!

Still, sitting on the back row of seats in front of the pavilion with only a small, low fence separating us from some of the players waiting to bat (or, increasingly, having batted briefly!) - we were careful to moderate our comments about some of the stroke play as the wickets to fall. We could enjoy the view across the ground, bathed at points during the day in sunlight, then in shade as the clouds moved quickly across the sky. The crowd was, to my eyes, pretty good for a weekday not in the school holidays. The only thing missing were the vibrant reds etc of the rhododendrons - the match was a few weeks too late for that.

There is a feeling that cricket at TW is always under threat - last year the match came within a week or so of being moved unceremoniously to county headquarters at Canterbury. The sight of the Canterbury groundsman at TW yesterday, plus the green tinge to the pitch, gave rise to concerns that this year again the pitch would be an issue. Traditionally TW is a good batsman's wicket - why, therefore, did Warwickshire choose to insert the home team?

It soon became clear: two wickets fell early before Kuhn and Denly (Kent's best batsmen this season) added 50. But even they weren't in full control and when Kuhn fell for 39 (a failure by his high standards, though the ball did appear to keep rather low), and Zak Crawley, who needs a score, just 2 balls later, Kent wobbled on 66-4. Denly and Stevens rebuilt the innings to take it to 117 before Stevens, who has only made one score of more than 50 all season, fell to a ball that appeared to move late. From 117-4 before that wicket, Kent limped to 197 all out. Only Denly with an unusually slow 59 in just short of 3 hours showed the technique and determination to cope with the moving ball. The Warwickshire seamers shared the wickets with the dangerous Barker taking 5-32, cleaning up the tail.

197, again no batting points, looked a poor score. But one of the Kent players, when asked what a good score was, said he couldn't be sure. The wicket was doing a bit (though not too much). How right he was. Warwickshire were dismissed after tea in less than 36 overs for 125 with only 3 players reaching double figures. Indeed the final total could have been much worse as they were tottering on 71-8 before Trott (as one would expect) and the young seamer Brookes added 54, with Brookes showing a good technique and level of skill as a batsman. The star bowler of Kent's season, Matt Henry with 4 wickets (the first and last two), Stevens (two) and Harry Podmore (a career best 4-26) shared the wickets. Jonathan Trott, in his last season, showed his skill and mental toughness, in scoring 51* in a bit under 2 1/2 hours. Batting for a second time in the day, Kent finished as 4-0 in 2 overs.

A fascinating day's cricket, but a world away from the crash bang wallop of the 50 over games being played by England at the moment, let alone Tom Harrison's proposed 'hit & giggle' 100 ball franchise tournament scheduled for 2020. And yet I'd much prefer days like these than the slog fests apparently so beloved of the ECB these days.

One last point - the fact that 20 wickets fell on the day, and the appearance of the Canterbury groundsman on the ground seemed to confirm rumours that the wicket was changed very late on before the start of the game, and for the second year running the ground authorities failed to produce a wicket suitable for country cricket. Could this be the last game at TW? I really hope not, but fear it could be.
Iron Mike, Vetchetarian liked this
By TWrex
After the first day the wicket seems to have reverted to type & gone to :sleep:
Could there be history made tomorrow? Kent will be hoping not, the highest 4th innings score against them to win is 410 f 8 by Surrey at Canterbury in 2002. Sussex scored 436 at Hove in 1991 to tie the match and Hampshire reached for 463 f 8 when set 568 to win at Southampton 1911. Fresh in the memory is Worcs. 401 f 6 to win at Worcester last season.
Eight overs to the new ball, the pre-lunch session will surely hold the key to the outcome. Kent will be looking to Matt Henry again & Warks. will hope Sibley & Bell carry on for a good while & of course there is Trott to come. Perhaps the best result, cricket surely saved at T. W. for at least another season.
By Iron Mike
TWrex wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm
Perhaps the best result, cricket surely saved at T. W. for at least another season.
That's how we see Swansea down here!

The Wait is over PSL 2019 is coming in this feb 14[…]

Smith vs Van der Gugten

Two Glamorgan players are in action at the moment […]