Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By johnwales
Basically the T20 is a good format with plenty of excitement; but in its present status it gives very little opportunity for the bowlers. In fact if a top bowler is unable to hold a bat the temptation is to omit him from selection. More needs to be done to involve bowlers to a higher level. This is my plan.

Each innings should comprise twenty EIGHT BALL overs; as was the norm in Australia sixty years ago. Three bowlers can bowl a maximum of five overs, and the remainder a maximum of four overs.

Under this system games would comprise of 160 balls per team rather than the present 120 balls, and three bowlers would be able to bowl forty balls rather than the present twenty four. Because most time is wasted in the change of over, the games would not be extended significantly.

I believe this plan would help involve bowlers more, and also add to spectator excitement.
By Vetchetarian
johnwales wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:46 pm
Basically the T20 is a good format with plenty of excitement; but in its present status it gives very little opportunity for the bowlers. In fact if a top bowler is unable to hold a bat the temptation is to omit him from selection. More needs to be done to involve bowlers to a higher level. This is my plan.

Each innings should comprise twenty EIGHT BALL overs; as was the norm in Australia sixty years ago. Three bowlers can bowl a maximum of five overs, and the remainder a maximum of four overs.

Under this system games would comprise of 160 balls per team rather than the present 120 balls, and three bowlers would be able to bowl forty balls rather than the present twenty four. Because most time is wasted in the change of over, the games would not be extended significantly.

I believe this plan would help involve bowlers more, and also add to spectator excitement.
Fielding restrictions and shorter boundaries would still make it a batsman's game.
An additional 40 balls would give the batsmen 33.333% more scoring opportunities.
I don't see any benefit for the poor bowler's.
By johnwales
The bowler benefits would be that they get to bowl more than 24 deliveries per week.
In the days when there were often two county matches per week, it was not uncommon for bowlers to send down fifty over per game, which works out at 600 balls per week.

The present set up is better suited to selecting eleven batsmen five of whom can turn their arm over.
By LankyShark
8-ball over sixty years ago in Australia!!!!

How dare you? I remember 8 ball overs and I am not that old.

40 years ago it was. Ended in 1978/79 which incidentally was the time I decided I wanted to go to live there. 40 years later and I still haven’t even got there for a holiday.

The Wait is over PSL 2019 is coming in this feb 14[…]

Smith vs Van der Gugten

Two Glamorgan players are in action at the moment […]