Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By gmdf
Vic Marks isn't a fan either:
No doubt we will eventually be assailed by the ECB about the “radical changes” of The Hundred, which will not convince those familiar with the game. All we are witnessing is a grim determination to be different, which is designed to satisfy the broadcasters and the counties not involved, who counter-intuitively are not too bothered if the Hundred fails to take off. All that concerns them is that they can sustain the success of the Blast, which is more likely with such a bizarre rival, while receiving their annual boost of £1.3m for not hosting The Hundred – assuming that promise is honoured.

Essentially cricket already has three fine formats, which work well. It does not need a fourth that increasingly seems to lack the simplicity that was, according to the ECB, supposed to appeal to “women and children”. The Hundred is an unnecessary gimmick especially since T20 cricket so obviously prospers - and is understood - all around the world. It may deliver quick cash from the TV deal; it will not enhance the game. Young English cricketers would welcome the chance to display their skills in the hope of lucrative contracts in the IPL and the Big Bash, playing in the proper short-form of the game.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... CMP=twt_gu
By gmdf
This Tweet from Lizzie Ammon hits the nail on the head as to why few cricket fans will support the ECB's new competition:
Part of why Sport is such an important part of our lives is the agony and ecstasy of your team winning and losing I just can’t imagine ever feeling that about made up cricket teams with made up names and players who move teams every year
Vetchetarian liked this
By Tartan Cider
The franchise system in US sports renders loyal supporters redundant in cities miles away when they relocate as in the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers .. Money talks and it ceases to be about the community, supporters, the life blood becomes cold hard cash. I hope it never comes to pass.

I'm a traditionalist so although I watch T20 on TV I wouldn't practically travel from the Highlands to watch Somerset unless it was finals day. Strictly speaking making me a glory hunter which I'm not.

If they included a Scottish and Irish city i.e. expanding exposure of the format in the UK and Ireland beyond the ECB boundaries I might see the rationale, but then, as a Scot I know one of the main problems up here is kids just don't play the game in the summer any more so would they be attracted ! .. In my day we enjoyed cricket on terrestrial tv which embedded the game in the sporting calendar, well mine anyway. Now there is just too much choice on TV, a problem facing the ECB if they're not careful.
In's & outs

Who is out & who is coming in for next season.[…]

New DOC

I see from an interview with Matthew Maynard on Tw[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]