A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
13 man squad. Biggest surprise is no Selman. He was by far and away the best batsmen in the RL London cup scoring 421 runs at an average of 52.6. Rutherford averaged 34.2, Carlson 29 and Root 23.9. Surely Joe Cooke is not going to bat in the top 3 again, but don't see what the other option is from this 13. The only thing I can think of is that Selman has not resigned and is looking elsewhere. Never been the most popular person in the squad.

Assume the team will be:
Rutherford
J Cooke
Lloyd
Root
Carlson
C Cooke
Douthwaite
Salter
McIlory or Carey
TvdG
Hogan

The other thought might be to play Taylor instead of one of the seamers and Cooke is the 4th seamer. However don't see Cooke and Douthwaite being enough to back up just two front line seamers and our spin attack is not strong enough to warrant producing a dry turner.
By Ger27
Yes, I reckon Selman must be off.

I guess that's one problem with the current structure of the CC - unless you are in the top division, is it a case of just planning for next season? Saving money by not having a second overseas etc.?

On the same basis, Middlesex may prefer Glamorgan to have Harris from this week. But Glamorgan may prefer to save a bit of £?!
By glamman
Given the shortage of opening batsmen it seems odd we should let Selman go. Whether it predates the persistence with Cooke during the first part of the CC is a question. I can understand why Selman would get pissed off, in the same way Walker did when he was playing second fiddle to Carey and Weighell, who we are now lumbered with.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:38 pm 13 man squad. Biggest surprise is no Selman. He was by far and away the best batsmen in the RL London cup scoring 421 runs at an average of 52.6. Rutherford averaged 34.2, Carlson 29 and Root 23.9. Surely Joe Cooke is not going to bat in the top 3 again, but don't see what the other option is from this 13. The only thing I can think of is that Selman has not resigned and is looking elsewhere. Never been the most popular person in the squad.

Assume the team will be:
Rutherford
J Cooke
Lloyd
Root
Carlson
C Cooke
Douthwaite
Salter
McIlory or Carey
TvdG
Hogan

The other thought might be to play Taylor instead of one of the seamers and Cooke is the 4th seamer. However don't see Cooke and Douthwaite being enough to back up just two front line seamers and our spin attack is not strong enough to warrant producing a dry turner.
" Never been the most popular person in the squad ".

You know this how, exactly ?
a) From first hand knowledge, with you actually being in the squad, or
b) scurrilous gossip.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:31 pm Given the shortage of opening batsmen it seems odd we should let Selman go. Whether it predates the persistence with Cooke during the first part of the CC is a question. I can understand why Selman would get pissed off, in the same way Walker did when he was playing second fiddle to Carey and Weighell, who we are now lumbered with.
Well, Carey and Weighell figured large in Glamorgan's recent 50 over triumph, so thank goodness they " lumbered " the team with their presence.

While they were lumbering their way to a medal each, your contribution to the cause was what, exactly ?
By Shamu
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:31 pm Given the shortage of opening batsmen it seems odd we should let Selman go. Whether it predates the persistence with Cooke during the first part of the CC is a question. I can understand why Selman would get pissed off, in the same way Walker did when he was playing second fiddle to Carey and Weighell, who we are now lumbered with.
Just to clarify - is this the same Selman who averages 27 with the bat after nearly 60 first class games ?
I’m sure other counties would see him as a Ronaldo type signing 😂. Can’t afford to get “pissed off” with Glam, as the only other option will be back to Australian club cricket.
……………
and are we also talking about the same Walker, who has never played a first class game with the red ball, and to date has not been deemed selectable by Leicestershire in either white or red ball format ? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe the original poster has enjoyed too much sun and sangria on this beautiful weekend.
By glamman
Not saying Selman is a brilliant opener but he’s better than Joe Cooke. Unless we have another option lined up then I don’t think it is good to lose him.
By glamman
Gorvin did not play for St Fagans yesterday because of COVID. Sounds like Selman would not have been selected if everyone available.
By hujon64
Obviously, disappointing start but can anyone explain how Surrey have had their game cancelled because of one Covid case yet Glamorgan are still playing!!! I thought Surrey had loads of players so could easily field a side whereas Glamorgan are still relying on premier league players brought in for Royal London - no disrespect intended to them as they have performed admirably! What are the rules???
By JamesH
hujon64 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:15 pm Obviously, disappointing start but can anyone explain how Surrey have had their game cancelled because of one Covid case yet Glamorgan are still playing!!! I thought Surrey had loads of players so could easily field a side whereas Glamorgan are still relying on premier league players brought in for Royal London - no disrespect intended to them as they have performed admirably! What are the rules???

Whilst I have nothing to confirm this, I imagine the Glammy players exposed had not been in contact with the squad within an XYZ timeframe, therefore could isolate individually.

The Surrey player may have been training with the entire squad when he got 'pinged' and as such none of the squad could risk playing.

A quick comment on the actual game, a disappointing day and I'm not sure we can play Covid to much. I imagine Selman might have played for Reingold and possibly Cooke for someone, though I couldn't say who.

Hopefully we can take 8 wickets today and bat long tomorrow.
By Vetchetarian
The team enjoyed great success while certain players, and top management, were off having fun, etc., at The Hundred.
Now the heroes have returned and the first batting effort is a complete shambles.
Makes one think, doesn't it ?
By Neverout
Calling it a complete shambles is a bit harsh. Essex bowled reasonably well on the kind of second grade track we have come to expect for our county matches.

There were some very poor efforts from the batsmen which contributed to making it appear shambolic . What was obvious was that there appeared a far greater degree of togetherness and willingness to struggle through from the R.L.C. squad on similar difficult wickets.

It would seem fair to attribute some of the less committed attitude to the returning management.I

I expect it to flatten off before taking slow spin later in the match. A difficult few days for the team from here,I fear.

I would love to hear if anyone knows why our team have had to play on so many used/side pitches this season. The Gardens has cut back considerably on the number of outside fixtures using the facility this year; the Welsh cup, the community cup, the age group cup finals etc. Far more than the five Hundred fixtures.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]