A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
A new competition and hopefully better fortune. We have many of our squad still available so hopefully they can put the T20 behind them. Lloyd is probably the biggest loss given what happened in the T20.
What new faces might we see? One question is who will keep wicket. Cullen is the safe option but given the faith put in Horton, I hope we see him, at least for some of the games.
Others might have seen some other contenders. Tegid Phillips might be one.
Practice game tomorrow for some to try and force their way in from the WNC side - could be an interesting contest with the WNC fresh from some good performances.
Our likely XI:
Selman (if recovered)
Rutherford (wonder when he might get put in the squad on the website :) )
Root
Carlson
Taylor
Cullen (WK)
Douthwaite
Salter
Smith
Walker
Sisodiya (if fit)

My only slight question is on pitches which are more in favour of seamers than spinners, can we rely on Douthwaite to bowl 10 overs? If you play Carey the batting is weakened and if you play Weighell is that a better bowling option than Douthwaite given this year's T20 stats? I would be tempted then to replace Salter with Carey and rely on overs from Root and Taylor to back up Sisodiya. We need Sisodiya but side strains can take a while to get over.

Here's hoping for some better performances and some youngsters to show what they can do.
By glamman
Oops - forgot Hogan in original post. Not sure how much he will play if this is aimed as a development competition?

Now have named 13. COVID strikes again with Harrison isolating. Hopefully not take anyone with him. As has been highlighted in the press, you must be mad if you have the tracking App active if you don't need to.

McIlroy back, as is Selman but no Sisodiya which is a big loss still. Carey playing for WNC and Douthwaite rightly rested.

Squad: Rutherford, Selman, J Cooke, Carlson (c), Root, Taylor, Cullen (wk), Weighell, Salter, Smith, Walker, Hogan, McIlroy

Tricky to get the balance right. Need spin options, especially in Cardiff, but only Salter as a front line spnner. Probably need 4 seamers which means you select Weighell based on him maybe scoring a few, but the weakest bowling option. I assume they will want to see McIlroy bowling.

No spectators. Guess not worth employing stewards, although not sure they were very helpful and I am sure anyone going to watch this game could be relied upon to be sensible.
By Shamu
Douthwaite signs for The Hundred - it’s official, the world has gone mad !

Just dusted off my bowling boots in anticipation of a contract for The Hundred because they’re taking any useless fecker at the moment.

Fancy a game, Glamman ?
By glamman
Shamu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm Douthwaite signs for The Hundred - it’s official, the world has gone mad !

Just dusted off my bowling boots in anticipation of a contract for The Hundred because they’re taking any useless fecker at the moment.

Fancy a game, Glamman ?
For real???? Cannot find any report.
By glamman
glamman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:53 pm
Shamu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:47 pm Douthwaite signs for The Hundred - it’s official, the world has gone mad !

Fancy a game, Glamman ?
For real???? Cannot find any report.
If Ingram's playing........................
By Neverout
It's on espncricinfo website. Playing for Manchester as a replacement for Jamie Overton.

Sorry my phone won't allow me to post a link
By Shamu
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him returned to Cardiff by August stamped ‘Return to sender’.
By Vetchetarian
Neverout wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 pm It's on espncricinfo website. Playing for Manchester as a replacement for Jamie Overton.

Sorry my phone won't allow me to post a link
I have just been on cricinfo, and Douthwaite is playing for Manchester.

Good luck to him. His bank balance will benefit enormously.

As the great Arthur Daley used to say, " it's a nice little earner ". 😁
By Shamu
£24K before tax
- agent’s fee (anything from 7-20%)
- 6 weeks Glamorgan salary (approx £3k)

Huge variance between the marquee players and the drinks carriers.
By Vetchetarian
Shamu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:06 pm £24K before tax
- agent’s fee (anything from 7-20%)
- 6 weeks Glamorgan salary (approx £3k)

Huge variance between the marquee players and the drinks carriers.
Arthur Daley will be turning in his grave at those figures. 😁
By glamman
To be fair, Douthwaite might be a better signing than some that are involved.
His absence makes it harder to balance the Glamorgan side:
Selman
Rutherford
Cooke
Root
Carlson
Taylor
Cullen (WK)
Salter/Sisodiya when fit
Smith
Walker
Hogan

Given the absence of Douthwaite you may want to play Weighell as one of the seamers, but he has just been so poor with the ball in all formats. Salter, Smith and Walker should be worth a few runs. As in all games, it is up to the top 6 batsmen to score the runs if you want to win games. Don't select bowlers to score runs. Given the hot weather 3 seamers should be enough.
By Shamu
I’d put forward a counter argument in that his inclusion in the Glamorgan side makes it difficult to achieve a balanced team.

By the gospel according to Glamman -

Is he good enough to command a place as a batsman - No
Is he good enough to merit a place as a bowler - No
And, judging by his catching yesterday, he doesn’t do himself any favours in that discipline either.

Can he carry drinks - yes !
By glamman
I have always said that Douthwaite could be a pretty useful batsman so gets in my team, with the option of bowling a few overs. That comment is helped by the paucity of our batting resources, but he is technically better than people give him credit for.
By Shamu
I agree - technically he’s quite good (when compared to a couple of our out and out batsmen), it’s what goes on between his ears that concerns me.

I think you highlighted the issue with his bowling by stating you’re not convinced he knows where the ball is going - which in T20 makes him unpredictable, but in other formats makes it unacceptable.
By glamman
Shamu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:43 pm I agree - technically he’s quite good (when compared to a couple of our out and out batsmen), it’s what goes on between his ears that concerns me.

I think you highlighted the issue with his bowling by stating you’re not convinced he knows where the ball is going - which in T20 makes him unpredictable, but in other formats makes it unacceptable.
I agree with all that. That is why I would include him as a batsman who could provide a few overs if one of the frontline bowlers is struggling. What I like about him is that he does not seem to premeditate his shots when batting, hitting the ball that can be hit and defending the good ball. His inclusion allows us to just play 3 frontline seamers with two spinners.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]