A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Vetchetarian
Neverout wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:40 am Went down the other night en-route to Nottingham. There were a few notable things for me.

It was a much bigger crowd than many Glam T20s and to the club's shame it was considerably easier to buy a ticket at the gate than for Monday's semi-final, where it was virtually impossible.

Most of the people around me appeared largely uninterested in the match as such and just wanted to see big hits even as the match reached a climax. Many of them had been gifted tickets for the match. There seemed to be about the usual number of drinking supporters as we usually see at T20s

I think the entire tournament has suffered from the lack of the promised big names attracting cricket supporters and the constant over-hyping of the games by the BBC proving the actual experience as disappointing to the newcomer.

The contrast with the crowd at Nottingham could not be overstated. It will be for the club to decide where it's priorities lie although the absence of the chief executive , director of cricket and head coach during the tournament give us a hint.

I have no doubt the tournament will be declared an outstanding success by the ecb, they have little choice given that they have spent their entire financial reserves of £80m on it. I also have no doubt that we will not see any of the promised benefits on our balance sheet next year, which will reflect year 2 of the three year project.

The entire experiment is running out of time and money.

With none but the committed county supporters at the final the other day there was considerable civilised discussion about the Hundred. What was clear that most in attendance had thoroughly enjoyed the R.L.C. Both for the opportunity to play against little visited counties and to see so many developing players in a sustained and meaningful campsign. Many of these players were local boys and there performances all the more enjoyed for that.

There were a surprising number of neutrals at the final supporting the competition for those reasons. How I wish the final had been at Lords on a Saturday and the local leagues had been ordered to postpone their matches in support of it.
Sadly, we don't always get what we " wish " for.
By Neverout
Winning the final came close enough for a lifetime of cricket wishes though.
By glamman
Apart from a few exceptions, the standard of cricket in the women's final, particularly the fielding, has been pretty poor from professional players. I would expect a good county boys under 15 side to beat these teams.
By glamman
Previously England ladies played Midlands U15s as practice and lost.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:34 am Previously England ladies played Midlands U15s as practice and lost.
Quite recently Glamorgan lost to Wales, but went on to win the 50 over competotion.

Perhaps the ladies would be better equipped to compete had they historically been offered the same opportunities, etc., that their male counterparts have enjoyed down the years.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:17 am
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:34 am Previously England ladies played Midlands U15s as practice and lost.
Quite recently Glamorgan lost to Wales, but went on to win the 50 over competotion.

Perhaps the ladies would be better equipped to compete had they historically been offered the same opportunities, etc., that their male counterparts have enjoyed down the years.
Maybe. There have been some excellent women players on show but there is then a big step down to the rest. I thought the overall standard of fielding was poor. I am sure they wil improve and not helped by so many overseas players not being available. However only a limited number of them can play at any one time.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:35 am
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:17 am

Maybe. There have been some excellent women players on show but there is then a big step down to the rest. I thought the overall standard of fielding was poor. I am sure they wil improve and not helped by so many overseas players not being available. However only a limited number of them can play at any one time.
I didn't see enough of the women's games to be able to fully comment on their overall abilities. However, there were some extremely good fast bowlers who I wouldn't want to face. in addition, they held some extraordinary catches. Based on what I saw, I think they equipped themselves very well.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 am There were some good catches but a lot of simple ones dropped.
The men also dropped catches. Not being sexist, are you ? 😁😁
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:11 pm
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 am There were some good catches but a lot of simple ones dropped.
I suggest you look through some of the repeats of the women's games if you didn't watch them. I did see a few.
By glamman
What should set the professional apart from the amateur is a consistent level of performance
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:18 pm
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:11 pm
I suggest you look through some of the repeats of the women's games if you didn't watch them. I did see a few.
You seem determined to undermine and devalue, cricket loving females, and their achievements.

Being of the male persuasion makes that an easy exercise.

Had you been born female, and had a passion for cricket, the obstacles placed in your way would have rightly incensed you.
By glamman
My daughter played cricket for Wales so I know about female cricketers. Being a girl does not excuse poor basic skills if you are playing in such a high profile competition
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:49 pm My daughter played cricket for Wales so I know about female cricketers. Being a girl does not excuse poor basic skills if you are playing in such a high profile competition
Good for her, and she kind of makes my point.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:09 pm
glamman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:49 pm My daughter played cricket for Wales so I know about female cricketers. Being a girl does not excuse poor basic skills if you are playing in such a high profile competition
Good for her, and she kind of makes my point.
There were no obstacles. She played with the boys and had to perform to their standard. I am sure that would be the case with most of the girls performing in the Hundred.

Даже интересно, подтвердятся ли слухи о возвращени[…]