A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
If we are top we go straight to a home semi. 2nd and 3rd place teams play off against each other.
By glamman
Watching the game at Taunton and plenty of spectators watching supposedly weak sides. Makes a nonsense of the need for the Hundred if the money had been spent on the Blast.
By Glamorganmorgan
glamman wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:51 pm Watching the game at Taunton and plenty of spectators watching supposedly weak sides. Makes a nonsense of the need for the Hundred if the money had been spent on the Blast.
Not sure the money was there for the Blast. Don't think it 'makes a nonsense' of the need, when loads of middle-aged, middle-class people are in Taunton. Quite how that engages the youth in the massive metropolitan centres across the UK, you tell me.
By glamman
Just referring to the support for county cricket. Why couldn’t the Blast have been promoted rather than having a new competition? This launch of the Hundred is no different from the launch of the Blast back in 2003. What next?
By glamman
No Walker in the Leicestershire side. Odd given the results they have had in this competition.
By glamman
De Lange having one of his nightmare games - not sure what he is thinking sometimes. 8 overs for 80 runs with one ball in his last over costing 16 runs!
Looks like Leics are doing us a favour by stopping Somerset gaining two points.
By duckworthlewis
glamman wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:55 pm De Lange having one of his nightmare games - not sure what he is thinking sometimes. 8 overs for 80 runs with one ball in his last over costing 16 runs!
Looks like Leics are doing us a favour by stopping Somerset gaining two points.
Although De Lange was in the Royal London today rather than the 100, some of the bowling you see in both competitions is shocking. You have people who can't bowl straight, bowl long hops that a kid could put away, bowl 20 feet short - terrible. Its like they've never bowled before.
By Neverout
As the competition reaches its finale does anyone have any confidence in an independent assessment of its impact being carried out given the cheerleading role of the main stakeholders, the ecb, the bbc, sky and sundry commentators whose livelihood depends on the bbc/sky largesse.

For me it has been notable how considerably more sceptical the local BBC correspondents have been on their YouTube streams than on national tv.

Whilst The Hundred has gained free to air coverage, the quality of the coverage and commentary has been excreable. I fail to understand why every catch is beyond brilliant and all sixes are incredibly powerful, particularly given the reduced boundaries.

I predict any analysis will declare it an unqualified success by only interviewing those attendees from their target demographic. I also predict that the guaranteed £10m profit won't be showing up in the ecb accounts anytime soon and neither will the £250k ground rent to Glam.

No account will ever be taken of the damage done to the Championship, the R.L.C. or the T20 Blast and the knock on effects to the England national side.

I know it is difficult to judge from the selective tv coverage but it appears to me that the only area with noticeably enhanced family participation is the two London sides although there are usually plenty of families at the odd match I attend at the Oval.
exileKT8, Jehosaphat liked this
By Glamorganmorgan
glamman wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:33 pm Just referring to the support for county cricket. Why couldn’t the Blast have been promoted rather than having a new competition? This launch of the Hundred is no different from the launch of the Blast back in 2003. What next?
The money was never there for the Blast. So it couldn't have been promoted like this. Money came for a new T20 comp, which I think would've been worse for the counties, to be playing the same format as a new competition but to a lesser standard. 18 teams is a lot of teams to also ensure that each team is of good enough standard. There's a reason that across the globe, the Big Bash and IPL didn't introduce 18 teams.

Big Bash saw the states give up their own T20 teams, and it seems to have worked...
By Neverout
Slightly different geography for the big bash in that there are only six state sides in the Sheffield shield and eight franchises in the big bash thus no state goes unrepresented and the big cities get two.

The new tournament was designed and funded by tv companies to wrest control of cricket away from the counties. So many cities and regions are entirely unrepresented as to make it irrelevant to the majority of the country.

Similarly too few of the big names have appeared to act as magnets for the committed supporter.

The architect of the concept has moved from the ecb to a hedge fund who are offering to help fund the tournament in future years in return for a share of the revenues.
By Glamorganmorgan
The top five cities in England and Wales by population are hosts to six of the teams, with the another capital city, and Nottingham, which while not massive in terms of population, is a sporting epi-centre.

About one in every 3 people across England and Wales live in a city with a Hundred team. I think that's pretty good going given there are only 8 teams.
By glamman
Lloyd to start tonight - hope he goes well. Hope he remembers which end of the bat to hold.

Даже интересно, подтвердятся ли слухи о возвращени[…]