A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By JamesH
Chris Cooke, Andy Balbirnie, Lukas Carey, Kiran Carlson, Joe Cooke, Dan Douthwaite, Michael Hogan, David Lloyd, Jamie McIlroy, Billy Root, Nick Selman, Callum Taylor, Timm van der Gugten.

Hogan and VdG opening the bowling. Hopefully this is the formula for the season - surely they are our best opening pair (minus Neser).

No spinner, unless we want to count Taylor. McIlroy turns 27 this year and while it's nice to have a left arm seamer in the squad I can't help but question his ability purely based on the amount of first class cricket he's played.

I'm excited by the Douthwaite news. I've criticised him as much as anyone else, but he has shown glimpses of what he can do over the last two seasons and can hopefully make that number 7/8 and change bowler position his own.

Very pleased to have county cricket back. It will give me something to listen to as I potter around the garden! Best of luck to Glammy this season.
By Nick_Glam
Hurrah, we've taken our first wicket of the summer!

It is indeed good to have some form of cricket back, and hopefully our players can play above themselves this season.
By glamman
Would have expected a couple more wickets against the students this morning. Looking at the replay I think Carey was a but fortunate to get his lbw decision as looked like it pitched outside leg stump.

McIlroy looks fairly gentle pace but did seem to be moving the ball a bit on the few highlights available. I expect Neser and Smith to open the bowling when Smith gets fit. Douthwaite is a bit too erratic with the ball, as evidenced by him only bowling 6 overs in the T20 comp last season and needs to stamp his mark with the bat. I am not sure his angled run up does him any favours.
By Shamu
It appears that Carey has retained most of the lockdown weight gain he showcased last season.
My understanding is that the professional players are categorised as ‘elite athletes’ and consequently have been able to train over the winter with all the usual support facilities available.
So disappointing when talented sportsmen/women don’t appear to have the necessary work ethic and it also reflects badly on the club in not driving these behaviours.
By glamman
Shamu wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm It appears that Carey has retained most of the lockdown weight gain he showcased last season.
My understanding is that the professional players are categorised as ‘elite athletes’ and consequently have been able to train over the winter with all the usual support facilities available.
So disappointing when talented sportsmen/women don’t appear to have the necessary work ethic and it also reflects badly on the club in not driving these behaviours.
I think it has been made clear to Carey what is expected. Up to him how he responds.
By glamman
The Uni team making it look a bit too easy in what must have been bowler-friendly conditions this morning.
By JamesH
glamman wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:57 pm
Shamu wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm It appears that Carey has retained most of the lockdown weight gain he showcased last season.
I think it has been made clear to Carey what is expected. Up to him how he responds.

He can weigh what he wants as long as he takes wickets :lol
By Nick_Glam
I know that the current game is mainly about fitness, but still not exactly a confidence booster that we can't get the students out.

Carey is maybe a tad slimmer than he was last year, but still a long way short of the fitness levels that you would expect.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:29 am I know that the current game is mainly about fitness, but still not exactly a confidence booster that we can't get the students out.

Carey is maybe a tad slimmer than he was last year, but still a long way short of the fitness levels that you would expect.
I think he was a bit fortunate to get his contract renewed and I am not sure whether he has repaid the faith put in him. Without Neser it is important that Smith gets fit as he would be part of the main attack in all formats alongside Hogan and TvdG with Neser adding to it when he arrives. Douthwaite can add a few overs alongside Labuschagne when he arrives. Need McIlroy to step forward. Walker seems to have faded. I understand he didn't impress in practice last season hence his absence from the side.
By glamman
Not a great start for our overseas player. 47/2. Lloyd and Balbirnie out in the same fashion appearing just to play down the wrong line.
I hope this doesn't turn nasty.
By glamman
Looking likely we will concede a first innings lead to what looks not much better than a premier league attack. Not great!
By glamman
Our first opponents, Yorkshire prospered against Leeds MCCU with 485/5 dec (2 players retiring out) although looks a good batting track as the MCCU are 190/1 in reply.
Return of crowds

Any thoughts on the return of crowds to The Count[…]

Glamorgan v Sussex

Are we foreseeing any changes in the side? Any new[…]

Glammy 2s v Lancs 2s

Playing up at Northern CC in Crosby. Team is JM C[…]

James Harris

Someone hinted a few days ago that we might have a[…]