A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
caergybi wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm Bowling isn't too bad but batting is poor and T20 this year worst for afew years. Ingram is missed and Wagg now past it.

On positive side Glamorgan have more T20 points than Derbyshire and Hampshire and ahead of Worcs on R/R. Doesn' say much for teh other three.

In terms of players what is the recruitment policy? Why is Phil Salt at Sussex for example - is it because he comes from north Wales?
I think he grew up in that part of the country
By Bubbles
With the coach saying that our players look very good in the nets it can only be a mental problem.
Surely this is down to the coaching staff to mentally prepare each player for the season.
Dare I mention things like job descriptions, key performances indicators, targets?
Players need to know what is expected of them and are periodically reviewed to check on performance. Difficult to assess when one minute you are playing the next you are not. Maynard mentioned that players are given three games to show what they can do.
That for me leaves too much time to get things wrong and face being cast aside.
If the coaching staff think Carlson is good enough then stick with him. There are hundreds of examples of players who continually failed and then came good.
We will have X1 for next season who should be our best players. The players know the pecking order and those outside should work hard to get in.
Scrap this he is a white ball red ball theory and pick the best team.
By Nick_Glam
To be fair, I would expect Maynard to say some positive things about what the players can do in the nets. I doubt that means he is privately happy with the quality of batsmen that he is working with.

And I think the performances of Sisodiya and Salter have shown that we will definitely have different line-ups in the varied forms of the game again next year.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:29 am To be fair, I would expect Maynard to say some positive things about what the players can do in the nets. I doubt that means he is privately happy with the quality of batsmen that he is working with.

And I think the performances of Sisodiya and Salter have shown that we will definitely have different line-ups in the varied forms of the game again next year.
Spinners are a special case. Good batsmen and seam bowlers should be able to adapt.
By hujon64
From the many posts re squad, we all seem to agree that the system for young, promising Welsh cricketers is, for various reasons, not producing the necessary talent for professional cricket as in other Clubs. As stated previously, Cricket Wales is introducing a new pathway for juniors from 2021 by combining counties into 4 regional areas but I have various questions which someone on here may be able to clarify:
Who decides on the players to enter these 4 teams as some who played for counties previously will be disappointed at not being chosen and may be lost to the game? If the coaches and administrators are parents, it is open to favouritism.
Some areas eg a combination of Cardiff and Newport could be much stronger with youngsters missing out who would easily get into another weaker regional team.
From these 4 teams, the Welsh age squads will be chosen. Again, who chooses them?
From these Welsh squads, some will go forward to the Glamorgan Academy for higher level 4 coaching from James, Maynard, Wallace, Harrison, etc. Who chooses these?
I think I’m right in saying ALL other professional Clubs run their own systems so Glamorgan is the only one with another organisation involved which can, potentially, cause problems. At what point is Glamorgan involved with the above selections and who has the most say - Glamorgan or Cricket Wales?

Obviously, a set pathway is a good idea but will it reduce the number of youngsters participating, some of whom could develop later. Longer distances to travel (more costly) adding to time factor.

Very interested in clarification and comments from others who may know much more about it.
By Bubbles
I do not think that under the new regime talent will slip through the net.
As I understand previously the regions,which I think was nine, we're all individually funded by Cricket Wales. Over the period of time Cardiff and the Vale and Gwent were the strongest with some exceptions being North Wales and West Glamorgan. The mismatches that this threw up annually arose with some regions choosing to play over the bridge.
As I understand talented cricketers will be picked up earlier and taken under Glamorgan's wings from an early age and developed. It is key though that the coaching staff and structure is strong.
Previously names like Tom Cartwright, Alan Jones, Tony Cottee and Mike Knight were shining lights and brought through some very good talent.
Beefing up our coaching staff is paramount and I think it is rightly fair that Glamorgan deal with the professional and Cricket Wales the recreational game.
Unfortunately too many youngsters play for their region and are happy to achieve that. The stakes must be raised and an early introduction to cricket under the best mentors be introduced.
Favouritism will always raise its head but hopefully youngsters will have to perform against betters opposition and gloat about performing well against sadly weak opposition.
It is all about structure and hopefully we can get that and our staffing right.
By hujon64
Many thanks Bubbles for your clarification which is very helpful. Glamorgan being involved early on with the most talented at a young age - not forgetting those who develop later - is to be welcomed as well as more competitive games. The likes of Tom Cartwright and Alan Jones are essential. I believe Darren Thomas is involved somewhere and is very highly thought of. Still smiling at last night’s emphatic win and looking forward to an afternoon match tomorrow.
By caergybi
Shame we lost to Birmingham as should have won that game.

However, if Somerset, Birmingham, Durham and Leicester all lose heavily tomorrow and we win big we are in the quarter-finals!
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]