A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Ger27
His bowling is good enough that he'll never need to bat higher than 8. Smith batting at 7 would mean going into a CC game with 5 front-line bowlers - not even MM would be keen on doing that.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:47 pm His bowling is good enough that he'll never need to bat higher than 8. Smith batting at 7 would mean going into a CC game with 5 front-line bowlers - not even MM would be keen on doing that.
You are right with Labuschagne bowling the spin and Lloyd and Taylor also giving bowling options. He would be fine at 8. If you can have 4 good seamers plus a spinner I think that is ideal. There might be a situation where that can only be achieved with Smith at 7. I am just not sure Douthwaite is the answer unless his bowling improves.
By glamman
We certainly aren't the only team with batting problems looking around the scores. Favourable bowling conditions prevail.
By Shamu
No. 7 spot and replacement for Wagg will be filled by an arrival over the winter. Not a done deal as yet as other counties are keen.
An opening batsman now top of the shopping list.
By glamman
Well done to Root. A deserved 50. Carey providing useful support - he is a capable cricketer and would be a shame if he wastes it.
Hopefully some quick wickets tomorrow morning to put the Warwickshire batting under pressure. Not sure batting is going to get any easier.
By glamman
Poor bowling display from Glamorgan this morning with all the seamers apart from Hogan leaking runs. Only salvation is that our two best seamers are absent. Looking more likely that Hogan will be offered another year.

Not sure what we have done to have Ed Bevan back commentating. Thankfully there are pictures as his description of the play often bares little relationship to what is actually going on. :doh:
By Ger27
Shamu wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:00 pm No. 7 spot and replacement for Wagg will be filled by an arrival over the winter. Not a done deal as yet as other counties are keen.
Samit Patel possibly? Out of contract isn't he.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:47 pm
Shamu wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:00 pm No. 7 spot and replacement for Wagg will be filled by an arrival over the winter. Not a done deal as yet as other counties are keen.
Samit Patel possibly? Out of contract isn't he.
Maybe. Not good news for our spinners. Would expect him to be batting a bit higher than 7. Came in at 4 last year against Lecis.
By Bubbles
Have listened to Edward Bevans commentary for years and when the game is close you don't have a clue what is happening. I remember one game a few years ago when Alan Butcher was batting!! Is it a four six caught God Knows? Always first in for lunch and expects everything for free. Does us all a favour and hang up your Mike and get a younger more accurate commentator in!
By Nick_Glam
You have to wonder whether this is Hogan's last year. If he gets a game or two in the T20, it will be interesting to see how effective he is.
By glamman
To be fair Hogan has been pretty mobile in the field and although he has not been taking wickets, that has not been all his fault. Remains economical.
The other issue is that we are a bit short in the seam bowling department. Smith and De Lange are the main two now but Smith has not been the most reliable because of injuries. TvdG has been a bit inconsistent and I am not sure about his status post-Kolpak. Then there are problems. Wagg is no longer a bowling threat. There appear to be problems with Carey and we have not seen Walker or McIlroy. Walker has another year on his contract. Douthwaite needs to improve as a batsman or a bowler to be worth selection. If he does not improve as a bowler he cannot be considered as a seamer option. Personally I would bowl Lloyd before Douthwaite at present.
For those reasons I would expect Hogan to get another year, albeit he must be expensive.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:50 am To be fair Hogan has been pretty mobile in the field and although he has not been taking wickets, that has not been all his fault. Remains economical.
The other issue is that we are a bit short in the seam bowling department. Smith and De Lange are the main two now but Smith has not been the most reliable because of injuries. TvdG has been a bit inconsistent and I am not sure about his status post-Kolpak. Then there are problems. Wagg is no longer a bowling threat. There appear to be problems with Carey and we have not seen Walker or McIlroy. Walker has another year on his contract. Douthwaite needs to improve as a batsman or a bowler to be worth selection. If he does not improve as a bowler he cannot be considered as a seamer option. Personally I would bowl Lloyd before Douthwaite at present.
For those reasons I would expect Hogan to get another year, albeit he must be expensive.
Yes, all fair points.

I guess it might come down to what terms he would accept, and just how many other seamer options might be out there.
By Nick_Glam
A creditable performance in the morning session.

Positive that Selman and Cooke are the ones to have survived, as they are the ones who will be first teamers next season.
By glamman
Bit of a nothing shot from Morgan. Still do not see him as a top order batsman. If you take out his century he averages just 17 in 1st class cricket.
Poor shot from Chris Cooke and nothing much Root could do.
Selman hanging on in there. Hopefully someone can stick with him.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]