A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:41 am A rare early wicket for us on a distinctly green pitch.

The talk of Carey not being in the best condition seems accurate. He has moobs and a paunch.
Was going to give him a few more overs before commenting but agree. He looks a bit laboured and short of a yard of pace. Hopefully he will pick it up. Smith, De Lange and TvdG would be the first choices.
By exileKT8
Good start especially getting rid of Rhodes who has been in good form. Pleased for Carey, let`s hope the script isn`t for a major farewell innings from Bell who has scored plenty against us in the past.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:27 am Good start especially getting rid of Rhodes who has been in good form. Pleased for Carey, let`s hope the script isn`t for a major farewell innings from Bell who has scored plenty against us in the past.
Tough chance put down by Selman in the slips. He'll be hoping they get him out quickly.
By glamman
Selman holds on to one - definitely our best slip fielder. Not sure what criteria are used to decide who goes in the slips but too many put down this season. Another by Cooke.
By glamman
Just about to say that Douthwaite is no better than a good club seamer when he dismisses Bell. However I am not sure whether that changes my mind. Hopefully his consistency will improve if he is going to continue to play as an all rounder who balls more than a few overs.
By Ger27
Douthwaite is still young and will improve I'm sure. I like the idea of him and Smith battling for the #8 spot next year.
By Ger27
glamman wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:21 am Have rethought my strongest red ball XI for next season:
Selman/Cooke
New signing
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Carlson/Root
Cooke
Taylor
Smith
De Lange
TvdG/Hogan/Walker/Carey
TvdG/Hogan/Walker/Carey

Batting much better with Taylor coming in at 7.
4 seamers plus Lloyd. Spin from Labuschagne and Taylor.
I like the look of that team. Nice balance to it, and given that so many CC games are played in the opening couple of months of the season, not having an out-and-out spin bowler is no big deal.

Signing of a good opener is so crucial though, as will be getting cover for Labuschagne. I guess they can use the 2nd overseas slot to recruit an opener should they need to?
By Nick_Glam
A good effort from the bowlers.

I can't say that I am too confident about our batsmen giving us a first innings lead, but we shall see.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:46 pm Douthwaite is still young and will improve I'm sure. I like the idea of him and Smith battling for the #8 spot next year.
If fit Smith will play as one of the front line seamers. I think only De Lange is quicker now. Douthwaite, certainly at the moment, should only be 2nd change. I think Douthwaite has to be good enough to bat 7 to get into the strongest XI, allowing the selection of 4 proper bowlers. Personally I think Smith could bat 7.
By glamman
Tough batting conditions and I think Chris Cooke probably had the best approach of trying to be aggressive as there will eventually be a ball with your name on it.

Cannot fault Morgan for battling it out but I still do not see him as a top order batsman.

Looks unlikely we will be able to gain a 1st innings lead but who knows. I think we bowled too many poor balls that allowed them to get too many runs yesterday.
By Glamorganmorgan
glamman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 am
Ger27 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:46 pm Douthwaite is still young and will improve I'm sure. I like the idea of him and Smith battling for the #8 spot next year.
If fit Smith will play as one of the front line seamers. I think only De Lange is quicker now. Douthwaite, certainly at the moment, should only be 2nd change. I think Douthwaite has to be good enough to bat 7 to get into the strongest XI, allowing the selection of 4 proper bowlers. Personally I think Smith could bat 7.
Smith has a first-class batting average of just under 18 - not sure that's good enough for a number 7?
By glamman
Glamorganmorgan wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:04 pm
glamman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 am
Smith has a first-class batting average of just under 18 - not sure that's good enough for a number 7?
He has not had the opportunity to build innings as bats down at 9. Wallace keeps talking about him being a better batsman than that and a genuine all-rounder so needs to be given the chance. Would certainly address a hole if could bat 7.
Just not good enough

I have been a loyal supporter for 50 years and hav[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]

T20 for 2020

The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gl[…]

Slightly odd squad named for final two games. Morg[…]