A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
I would hope to see some new faces in the 4 day game starting on Sunday. Could follow what Northants are doing - it's a meaningless game. Perhaps will see Carey, Walker, McIlroy, Brown or Horton, none of whom have played yet. I am sure Smith will be rested and Wagg is not offering anything now.
My XI for Sunday:
J Cooke
Hemphrey
Brown
Carlson
Root
Morgan
C Cooke or Cullen (WK)
Carey
Walker
Bull
Hogan

Make or break for a couple.
By Glammerup
As a long time viewer and minimal contributor, the views on the forum from either side are interesting.

I picked up some information through a parent of a former player who I played golf with last week. There are a lot of unhappy players at the club.

The communication from Wallace to players off contract has been non existent. They still don’t know if they will be kept on or released. Also the club offered Craig Overton 160k a year for 3 years yet have told the staff they are tightening the budget

Some players seem to have special treatment such as Carey, who has been lambasted for poor discipline and returning to play unfit and over weight yet he’s still in most squads.

Apparently Brown and Bull have already been released from their contracts and are no longer at the club.
By glamman
Really interesting to hear this. Not a surprise. These are strange times in so many ways. Undoubtedly the club needs a player around which to build a team. Can therefore understand the bid for Overton. Interesting that you got that information from the father of a former player - clearly someone with detailed knowledge.

Interesting comments about Carey. Might explain his absence from the field.

At the moment the only players who should be confident of a place in the team are Cooke, Lloyd, De Lange, Smith, Salter (white ball) and Sisodiya (white ball). Unfortunately not a large number. Labuschagne is obviously a given.

Of the rest Taylor shows some promise and Walker did OK last year (not sure why he is absent at the moment).
By Glammerup
Delang, like many others around the country, looks to be the victim of the new kolpak law and will need to play as an overseas player from next summer if Glamorgan are to keep him.

Wagg and Hogan look like they are finished, interesting to see the clubs stance there. So certainly agree with the attempt at Overton. They look like they will need to bring in some bowlers if they don’t trust what they have on the books
By glamman
Glammerup wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:22 pm Delang, like many others around the country, looks to be the victim of the new kolpak law and will need to play as an overseas player from next summer if Glamorgan are to keep him.

Wagg and Hogan look like they are finished, interesting to see the clubs stance there. So certainly agree with the attempt at Overton. They look like they will need to bring in some bowlers if they don’t trust what they have on the books
I thought De Lange was OK . When he signed in 2017 it was reported on the BBC website in the following way:

"Glamorgan had initially hoped to sign De Lange under the Kolpak ruling, which allows players from countries with associate trade agreements with the European Union to not be classed as overseas players - but he did not meet the criteria of international matches played.
Playing on a UK visa leaves him free to represent Glamorgan as a non-overseas player in all competitions - but leaves him unable to play as a "local" player in more than one country's domestic competition, so he would be classed as an overseas player if he returned to South African domestic cricket."

He was granted a UK visa because his wife holds a British passport.

Is that not the case?
By Glammerup
That I’m not certain about. But I know the rule was changed and will be in effect for next summer. I believe the ruling is, unless you hold a UK passport, you will be classed as an overseas player.
By glamman
Glammerup wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:47 pm That I’m not certain about. But I know the rule was changed and will be in effect for next summer. I believe the ruling is, unless you hold a UK passport, you will be classed as an overseas player.
Not sure. As he isn't a Kolpak player he might be OK.
By hujon64
Read Glammerup’s post re players unhappy with no decisions re contracts and am a bit bemused. With players furloughed so little training, no trip abroad or friendly matches, Maynard made it plain in an interview that everyone would be given a chance to claim a place. True to his word, this has happened but we have lots of matches left so hasty decisions will and should not be made. Nick Glam has now posted a list of players’ current situations in another post (Many Thanks to him). To date Taylor and Sisodiya have impressed me but those who are out of contract KNOW they have to perform. As for Overton, well done for trying to secure him.
Nick_Glam liked this
By glamman
Glammerup wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:11 pm As a long time viewer and minimal contributor, the views on the forum from either side are interesting.

I picked up some information through a parent of a former player who I played golf with last week. There are a lot of unhappy players at the club.

The communication from Wallace to players off contract has been non existent. They still don’t know if they will be kept on or released. Also the club offered Craig Overton 160k a year for 3 years yet have told the staff they are tightening the budget

Some players seem to have special treatment such as Carey, who has been lambasted for poor discipline and returning to play unfit and over weight yet he’s still in most squads.

Apparently Brown and Bull have already been released from their contracts and are no longer at the club.
Comment about Carey borne out by what we can see. Would be a great shame if poor discipline means he wastes the opportunity he must have grown up dreaming about.
By exileKT8
Carey has played his part in securing a rare 1st innings lead. With regards his shape perhaps he just needs to play and bowl. He can hold a bat and is more of wicket taking threat than our all rounders ? Perhaps as Gloucs have signed Warner from Yorks the rumour about Carey going there may not materialise.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:04 pm Carey has played his part in securing a rare 1st innings lead. With regards his shape perhaps he just needs to play and bowl. He can hold a bat and is more of wicket taking threat than our all rounders ? Perhaps as Gloucs have signed Warner from Yorks the rumour about Carey going there may not materialise.
I think it is more a case of whether Glamorgan will run out of patience with Carey.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]