A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
Somerset are simply far too good for us as they've shown again.

A little embarrassing to see how reliant we are on Cooke, and there must be changes for the next game.
By glamman
As comfortable a win as you get. Could be hiding behind the sofa when Glamorgan are on Sky on Thursday. Unfortunately I don't expect anything different with the batting resources we have.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 pm Abell is a good young home produced player, remember them.

Thankfully they don`t have Banton and Babar
Player Maynard backed when he made him Somerset captain. Then struggled to score runs for a while but has certainly come good now.
By exileKT8
True, MM must wish he had half the material to work with now that he had them at Somerset.

Easy to criticise from behind this keyboard and bottom line is our batting bar Cooke is woeful but MM`s plan to open with Root and Douthwaite has not worked. Hogan in the squad but not playing ?

How long is Cooke`s contract ? There are plenty of good Wicket Keeper Batsmen on the County Circuit but the worry has got to be that somebody is going to fancy Cooke and could you blame for thinking the grass may be greener.
By glamman
Maynard quoted as saying that Selman and Morgan in for Thursday. Not sure why Selman has not played from the start. However Morgan has not fared well so far in T20s with 15 runs from 4 previous innings at a strike rate of just 62.5. While our batsmen struggle in the red ball game, they are even less adept at the T20 format. That goes for Hemphrey, Root, Morgan, Brown and probably Selman.
Is anyone aware of any academy batsmen coming through because I have not heard talk of any other than Horton.

Maynard has also said "If we don't (have the resources), we'll have to see who's available on loan."
By Nick_Glam
Good to hear that we will make changes for the next game.

That's not to say that I expect miracles from Selman or Morgan or anyone in our squad...

At least we are looking at plenty of players this season to get an idea of just how much work needs to be done over the winter.
By Nick_Glam
And I forgot to mention that Harry Friend was mentioned as a possibility for the previous 4-day game, so maybe he will be given a chance as well before the end of the season.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 pm Good to hear that we will make changes for the next game.

That's not to say that I expect miracles from Selman or Morgan or anyone in our squad...

At least we are looking at plenty of players this season to get an idea of just how much work needs to be done over the winter.
We have used the same XI in each of the first 3 games with the same poor batting return (other than Cooke) each time.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:12 am
We have used the same XI in each of the first 3 games with the same poor batting return (other than Cooke) each time.
Yes, but as you well know I was referring to the entire season where we have also tried Hemphrey, Selman, Joe Cooke, Cullen, Smith, Bull and Hogan.

So Morgan will be the 19th player used this season which isn't too bad considering how few games that we've played so far.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:56 am
glamman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:12 am
Yes, but as you well know I was referring to the entire season where we have also tried Hemphrey, Selman, Joe Cooke, Cullen, Smith, Bull and Hogan.

So Morgan will be the 19th player used this season which isn't too bad considering how few games that we've played so far.
That would be fine if they were youngsters. However Morgan is 26, Hemphrey is 31, Cullen is 28, Bull is 25, Selman is 24, Smith is 26. Those who are going to be good enough should be set by this age. Of these the only one who might get in another county side is Smith.
By Shamu
Ruaidri Smith has played 30 First Class games since his debut in 2013.He averages 34 with the ball (just over 2 wickets per game) and 17 with the bat with 2 x fifties (which by Glamorgan standards is ok ish).
Can’t think of many counties who’d wish to accommodate his stats / injury record.

2021 will be a crucial season for Smith (a) to stay fit through a run of games and (b) to improve his stats.
By glamman
Shamu wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:35 pm Ruaidri Smith has played 30 First Class games since his debut in 2013.He averages 34 with the ball (just over 2 wickets per game) and 17 with the bat with 2 x fifties (which by Glamorgan standards is ok ish).
Can’t think of many counties who’d wish to accommodate his stats / injury record.

2021 will be a crucial season for Smith (a) to stay fit through a run of games and (b) to improve his stats.
Agreed. Injuries have been his main problem. However when fit he is an important bowler in T20 and last year they were saying he was bowling quite a bit quicker. I was just making the point that he would be the only one out of that group who might get a look in anywhere else.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]