A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
The problem with Selman and Hemphrey is that they are naturally slow scorers and even slower at the moment. Therefore no pressure on the bowlers and they can just bowl until they get them out. Need some more energy at the top of the order and Brown, in the times I have seen him, might give us that.
By glamman
We definitely need to see some options being looked at for the top 3. Would be preferable to have Carlson coming in lower down. Brown should be given a chance in place of Hemphrey. If everyone was available the team would just need another opener:
AN Other
Selman
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Root
Cooke
Douthwaite
Smith
Bull
De Lange
Hogan

That doesn't look too bad?
By Ger27
I think I'd go with Lloyd & Labuschagne as the joint fifth bowling option - not sure if Bull is that much a better spinner than Labuschagne unfortunately.

Selman
AN Other
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Carlson
Root
Cooke
Smith
de Lange
van der Gugten
Hogan

I know Maynard is a fan of "two-dimensional" cricketers though that he often refers to, so he would probably rather see more all-rounders in the XI.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:00 pm I think I'd go with Lloyd & Labuschagne as the joint fifth bowling option - not sure if Bull is that much a better spinner than Labuschagne unfortunately.

Selman
AN Other
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Carlson
Root
Cooke
Smith
de Lange
van der Gugten
Hogan

I know Maynard is a fan of "two-dimensional" cricketers though that he often refers to, so he would probably rather see more all-rounders in the XI.
I agree - forgot about Labuschagne's leg spin.
Am not a fan of packing teams with all-rounders unless they are worth their place as either a batsman or bowler. Otherwise you end up with nothing.
By glamman
Well done to Selman reaching 50 - only one so far in the game. Had some luck but need that when opening. Hopefully we can see some more contributions from Cullen and Douthwaite.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 pm The problem with Selman and Hemphrey is that they are naturally slow scorers and even slower at the moment. Therefore no pressure on the bowlers and they can just bowl until they get them out. Need some more energy at the top of the order and Brown, in the times I have seen him, might give us that.
I suspect they are " naturally " not quite good enough to play at this level.

I know nothing of Brown, but if you've seen him then presumably he knows which end of the bat to hold. Perhaps he could bring his mother/brother/sister along and form a new opening partnership. :)
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:06 pm
glamman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 pm The problem with Selman and Hemphrey is that they are naturally slow scorers and even slower at the moment. Therefore no pressure on the bowlers and they can just bowl until they get them out. Need some more energy at the top of the order and Brown, in the times I have seen him, might give us that.
I suspect they are " naturally " not quite good enough to play at this level.

I know nothing of Brown, but if you've seen him then presumably he knows which end of the bat to hold. Perhaps he could bring his mother/brother/sister along and form a new opening partnership. :)
Opened in a few games a couple of years ago. Bit faster scoring than Selman or Hemphrey.

Surely Taylor must play instead of Cullen on Saturday.
By glamman
Great performance from Cooke again to co-ordinate the rear guard action supported by TvdG and Bull.
Lots of question marks over the batting and team selection. Hope for some changes on Saturday.
hujon64 liked this
By hujon64
Just logged on and gobsmacked but delighted that we secured the draw after all seemed lost a few hours ago.. All credit to Cooke again who is certainly leading well and TVG who is often tenacious at the end. Bull also showed tenacity in occupying the crease. Selman’s first creditable score was also very welcome. Few chances for others this weekend - maybe Taylor!
By Jenks33
Fair play to Cooke and Van der Gugten. We would have lost the last two matches with Cooke.
I’m sorry but Douthwaite just isn’t good enough for 4 day cricket. His bowling is all over the place and I don’t think he can do much with the bat apart from swing hard. He’s a decent option in one day cricket but please not the championship. Plus what on earth is he doing as high as 7!
By glamman
Jenks33 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:26 pm Fair play to Cooke and Van der Gugten. We would have lost the last two matches with Cooke.
I’m sorry but Douthwaite just isn’t good enough for 4 day cricket. His bowling is all over the place and I don’t think he can do much with the bat apart from swing hard. He’s a decent option in one day cricket but please not the championship. Plus what on earth is he doing as high as 7!
I'm afraid you need to be a better bowler to succeed in white ball cricket as the margins are so small - he is not certainly not good enough to bowl in T20. His 3 year contract always seemed generous. Smith would play in front of him in all forms.

De Lange has bowled well this season. Did not see TvdG bowl in this game.

Have to see Taylor come in for Cullen, Brown or Cooke for Hemphrey and Carey or Walker for Douthwaite. My XI for Saturday would be:
Brown
Selman
Carlson - batting out of position
Root
Cooke
Taylor
Wagg - not ideal but better than Douthwaite
Bull
De Lange
Carey
TvdG or Hogan
Just not good enough