A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
I have just listened to our coach speak about our current opposition. You would swear that we are facing the West Indies bowling attack in their pomp! We are playing Somerset with a good bowling attack you would swear it was the footballing equivalent of Newport County v Liverpool. We have a more than experienced team who yet again have failed with the bat. Hardly surprising when the man who should be motivating you is heaping praise on your opponents. Is it me or have I got it wrong. If the side picked can't perform should we not blood a few younger players?
By Nick_Glam
Bubbles wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:18 am I have just listened to our coach speak about our current opposition. You would swear that we are facing the West Indies bowling attack in their pomp! We are playing Somerset with a good bowling attack you would swear it was the footballing equivalent of Newport County v Liverpool. We have a more than experienced team who yet again have failed with the bat. Hardly surprising when the man who should be motivating you is heaping praise on your opponents. Is it me or have I got it wrong. If the side picked can't perform should we not blood a few younger players?
Our failure with the bat is disappointing, but I can't say that I am too surprised.

Carlson and Douthwaite are both still unproven and it was asking a lot for them to bat at 3 and 6 respectively.

Hemphrey has a very average career record and, let's face it, that's probably one of the reasons we were able to sign him.

Selman and Root both blow hot and cold, and Cooke is the only one of the top 6 who really fills me with any confidence.
By Vetchetarian
Let's face it, Glamorgan can no longer compete at this level, with the majority of players not good enough. This has been evident for some time now. Expecting the likes of Carlson and Douthwaite to bat at 3 and 6 merely highlights the problem, and is not fair on them.
If I performed as badly in my job as these players do in theirs, I would be out of work.
Sportsmen really do live a sheltered, privileged life, where the price of failure is rarely, if ever, paid for.
By Bubbles
Somerset have some good bowlers that did not make it for England and have been cast aside. With Somerset usually a batsmans pitch or a spinners dream the inference that we are facing a deadly attack bigged up by our coach does not make sense.
We are also suggesting that there is a big gulf between div one and div two seems to be a card that we are quite willing to play. Form can change from year to year and isn't it about time we encouraged our own players who need all the support they can get. Respect the opposition not big them up. Players will then simply say that the coach was right and they were better than us. If you can't motivate or think of a way to instill confidence are you up to the job?
By Nick_Glam
I'm sure before the game the coaches offered the players encouragement. It's rather a different thing to after the game acknowledge that we were beaten by the better team.

Let's be honest, Somerset have much better players than us and they demolished another team in a warm-up.

Many of our batsmen wouldn't get a game for another county as their first class records show:

Selman - 28.49
Hemphrey - 29.88
Carlson - 27.00
Root - 32.43
Cooke - 35.90
Douthwaite - 28.18

Lloyd - 28.25
Cullen - 22.81

If most of your batsmen average under 30, you're in big trouble.
exileKT8 liked this
By Bubbles
Comments were made during the game and obviously resulted in our performance. On a similar issue Ireland beat the world champions who have better players fro one to eleven. Somebody is motivating the side but we seem to have the excuses up our sleeves before a ball is bowled. There are countless new names stepping up to the mark for other counties so why are they succeeding and we are not?
We cannot accept this .
By Nick_Glam
Bubbles wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:55 pm Comments were made during the game and obviously resulted in our performance. On a similar issue Ireland beat the world champions who have better players fro one to eleven. Somebody is motivating the side but we seem to have the excuses up our sleeves before a ball is bowled. There are countless new names stepping up to the mark for other counties so why are they succeeding and we are not?
We cannot accept this .
Can't agree with you there. Maynard could have made any number of positive comments and we still would not have saved the game on the last day.

Well done to Ireland for their win, but they are also not able to consistently get results against superior opposition (for obvious reasons). We also had several isolated good performances last year, but the question remains over whether the players are good enough to play well consistently. The career records of several of the players suggests that they are not.

The games against Worcester and Gloucester ought to be better tests of where we are at. I still think that the batting line-up (without Labuschagne and Lloyd) looks like one of the weakest in the country, and one or two of our bowlers are no spring chickens either.

Obviously we need to be more competitive in games than we were against Somerset, and I hope for a big improvement for the rest of the mini-season, but we could reappoint Duncan Fletcher in his prime and he would still struggle with these players imo. I can't see anything other than a very challenging next couple of years unless we can make some strong signings over the winter.
By Bubbles
We are no ionger deemed as one of the poorest counties which used to be our trump card. Our hierarchy are some of the best paid in the country but continually escape the noose as they all stick together. A problem because it is a case of you scratch my back to hear the coach talking about preparing for the winter is flabbergasting. We all know we have players who are not up to it but what are we dong about it?
Again learning curves were mentioned. Who for Hogan and Wagg? Change the record and give us a vision of hope.We have youngsters who have starred at under 15 but then disappear. Somebody must have the answers. It will be retirement time soon and lots of Glamorgan's money spent to achieve this.
By exileKT8
In fairness Somerset`s demolition of Northants gives some credence to MM`s comments. Let`s see how our batters go v Worcs when they get in.

Whilst thinking of Welsh batsmen, Aneurin Donald not in the Hants team for the first two games, injured or not picked ?
By Bucksman
exileKT8 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am In fairness Somerset`s demolition of Northants gives some credence to MM`s comments. Let`s see how our batters go v Worcs when they get in.
Juicy pitch, it's all happening at the County Ground!
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am In fairness Somerset`s demolition of Northants gives some credence to MM`s comments. Let`s see how our batters go v Worcs when they get in.

Whilst thinking of Welsh batsmen, Aneurin Donald not in the Hants team for the first two games, injured or not picked ?
Donald had knee surgery and is out for the season. Ruptured cruciate
By exileKT8
Bucksman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am
Yes not the pitch to face the Overtons and Brooks. Good luck.
By Bucksman
exileKT8 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:38 pm
Bucksman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:41 am
Yes not the pitch to face the Overtons and Brooks. Good luck.
Thanks, but we duly got what was coming to us, particularly from an experienced Somerset lower order which adopted the pragmatic approach ideal for the conditions.

See you are progressing well at present!
exileKT8 liked this
Just not good enough

I have been a loyal supporter for 50 years and hav[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]

T20 for 2020

The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gl[…]

Slightly odd squad named for final two games. Morg[…]