A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
I think Cullen and particularly Hemphrey are fortunate to be staying with us next year.

I guess that if Lloyd moves up to open the batting and Hemphrey comes in lower down, he might have more luck though.
By hujon64
Thanks for the update on contracts. Few have contracts beyond 2021 so, with current finances and no Idea on spectators/money-making events next year, players must perform. MM and MW were pretty ruthless with fan’s favourite Wagg when he wouldn’t accept their terms and I’m sure others have taken cuts in order to secure contracts. Understand management agreed to cuts too and wonder what arrangements are being made re salaries over winter. New signings may not be possible so hope deLange can return and our injuries are low. Meanwhile, looking forward to some international rugby!
By glamman
21 players in the squad not counting Ingram. As you say, most will need a new contrcat at the end of next season. Hopefully there wil be enough cricket next summer for players to be able to get a proper chance of demonstrating their skills. Pressure will be there as I am sure the club will want to become leaner.
By glamman
Saw a tweet this morning with a video of Labuschagne bowling seam against Selman. Their grade sides are playing a 2 day game and Selman is holding his team's batting together with 66 n.o. out of 138/5. Labuschagne has 2 wickets.
By eastsidedevil
So De Lange is gone, the squad will need some bolstering to be competitive but will the finances allow?
By Jenks33
Can’t say I’m as bothered as some others about De Lange’s departure. We will miss him but he bowled too much rubbish for my liking. His lower order hitting was more useful than his bowling at times. One of Nick Webb’s tweets suggests there’s a replacement on the way. Can’t see it being a proven championship wicket taker but we’ll see
Ian liked this
By glamman
Jenks33 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:04 pm Can’t say I’m as bothered as some others about De Lange’s departure. We will miss him but he bowled too much rubbish for my liking. His lower order hitting was more useful than his bowling at times. One of Nick Webb’s tweets suggests there’s a replacement on the way. Can’t see it being a proven championship wicket taker but we’ll see
Agree about the frustration that De Lange could create - when he bowled full he could be a real handful but would then resort to bowling half trackers. Interesting to see that he has been released as that would indicate that Glamorgan have a 2nd overseas player lined up, which is hopefully good news. I am sure Marchant will be missed as he was very popular among the squad.
It definitely leaves a big hole in the seam attack and Smith now becomes the quickest bowler currently in the ranks. Hogan is coming to the end of his career and there were clearly concerns about the readiness of Carey and Walker this season. Will have to see what McIlroy offers and then that just leaves TvdG who will hopefully deliver next year.
Maybe the sight of Labuschagne bowling seam has led to this? :)
By hujon64
Very difficult times for management of the less wealthy Cricket Clubs - finances, COVID, Brexit rules. Uncertainty over de Lange’s status is now resolved - sad but I expect he was very expensive and had a good offer from Somerset to be an overseas so unable to stand in his way. Our squad will be young and inexperienced but can hardly blame HM, MM and MW under present circumstances. Opportunities are there so let’s hope we see some Welsh hwyl and support from us for our Club in difficult times.
By Jenks33
Looks like a new signing will be announced tomorrow
By glamman
Personally I would rather have De Lange than Ingram.
By Ian
I agree, an expensive luxury

Jenks33 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:04 pm Can’t say I’m as bothered as some others about De Lange’s departure. We will miss him but he bowled too much rubbish for my liking. His lower order hitting was more useful than his bowling at times. One of Nick Webb’s tweets suggests there’s a replacement on the way. Can’t see it being a proven championship wicket taker but we’ll see
By Ger27
Given that we have Smith and Douthwaite, I agree that Glamorgan could make better use of its tight budget.

Announcement at 10in relation to a new signing apparently.

I wonder if it it would be the club's preference to cancel Ingram's contract if we he was willing to? Seems like a waste of the second overseas slot if he's only able to play T20 Blast in 2021.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:38 am Given that we have Smith and Douthwaite, I agree that Glamorgan could make better use of its tight budget.

Announcement at 10in relation to a new signing apparently.

I wonder if it it would be the club's preference to cancel Ingram's contract if we he was willing to? Seems like a waste of the second overseas slot if he's only able to play T20 Blast in 2021.
I think we still need another pace bowler. Smith cannot be overworked given his injury record and Hogan cannot be expected to play every game. TvdG needs to improve consistency and there would be a lot of work for him and Smith to carry. Carey needs to sort out his fitness and Walker clearly not felt good enough to make an appearance last season. McIlroy is an unknown and Douthwaite is just not consistent enough - OK as a 4th seamer but needs to get into the side as a batsman (which he could do).

I have not seen Ingram perform to the level expected, given the amount he must be paid, for a couple of years. His stats in other T20 leagues have been poor. We'll see how he gets on in Sri Lanka next month.
By JamesH
Another Queenslander - Michael Neser has signed.

I'd consider this a shrewd signing and one I'm very happy with.
By Ger27
So could be lining up like this for the CC:

Selman
Lloyd
Labuschagne
Carlson
Root
Cooke
Taylor
Neser
Smith
van der Gugten