A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 pm Yes, I was interesting to see the comments about Lloyd opening next year.

If that's the case, I think we still need to bring in another batsman but it would at least mean we would have more freedom in who we targeted.
They might wait to see how much Labuschagne will be available before committing any serious money.
By glamman
Wallace’s statement about costs being slashed might mean saving money by releasing Hogan. Guess it depends if De Lange still qualifies. Also on whether they see Walker and McIlroy improving. Worrying that Walker wasn’t thought up to a start this season.
By Nick_Glam
If the money's not there, then I guess there's not much that they can do. It does make me wonder why Wagg would be offered a contract though, as he ought to be only a bit part player next season.

If we don't sign another batsman, then we are looking at a top 7 of maybe:

Lloyd
Selman
Labuschagne
Root
Cooke
Carlson
Taylor

Not terrible, but Carlson has struggled and Taylor is still unproven. There wouldn't be much competition for places either apart from Joe Cooke, Harry Friend and Douthwaite.

As we ought to be picking 4 front-line seamers in the Championship, we would be light there as well. Hogan, if he does sign a contract, will need to be rested quite a bit so we couldn't really afford any injuries (and that's assuming that De Lange and TvdG can stay - that whole issue is way too complicated for my brain to compute! :) ).
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 am If the money's not there, then I guess there's not much that they can do. It does make me wonder why Wagg would be offered a contract though, as he ought to be only a bit part player next season.

If we don't sign another batsman, then we are looking at a top 7 of maybe:

Lloyd
Selman
Labuschagne
Root
Cooke
Carlson
Taylor

Not terrible, but Carlson has struggled and Taylor is still unproven. There wouldn't be much competition for places either apart from Joe Cooke, Harry Friend and Douthwaite.

As we ought to be picking 4 front-line seamers in the Championship, we would be light there as well. Hogan, if he does sign a contract, will need to be rested quite a bit so we couldn't really afford any injuries (and that's assuming that De Lange and TvdG can stay - that whole issue is way too complicated for my brain to compute! :) ).
Sounds like TvdG is sorted. Uncertainty about De Lange. Smith will play (if fit) but might be a bit light.
By exileKT8
So Lloyd is going to be the new opener we desired.

Guess that means we won`t be in for Nash.

Is Hemphrey`s contract up ? If not he goes into the middle order which in fairness to him is what he was at Queensland and he did make runs there in his first season with us batting with his mate Marnus.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:07 pm So Lloyd is going to be the new opener we desired.

Guess that means we won`t be in for Nash.

Is Hemphrey`s contract up ? If not he goes into the middle order which in fairness to him is what he was at Queensland and he did make runs there in his first season with us batting with his mate Marnus.
Hemphrey needs a new contract to stay.
By exileKT8
Thanks Glamman.

Interesting one for MW and MM.

Hemphrey doesn`t seem to be considered a white ball bat, had a pretty dreadful summer as an opener, omens not good.
By Nick_Glam
So Taylor, Joe Cooke and McIlroy all sign new contracts.

All probably fairly cheap you would assume, but we will have to see how much is left in the budget for elsewhere.
By hujon64
Can’t complain about those being released to date. Maynard and Wallace gave everyone who was fit a chance to cement a place and, unfortunately, some failed to prove their worth and there’s been no mercy with culling which I applaud, sad as it is for some ! Budgets are cut and new Brexit rules are also having an impact. Good to see TvdG is safe but, perhaps, clarification needed on de Lange before any news on Hogan or Wagg. Taylor deserves his 2 years and worth giving a few youngsters a year to fulfil promise. Thank goodness we secured Labuschagne for a further 2 years some time ago as a vital signing at this time - good work by management there. As for others, Ingram maybe, but who knows what we can afford when clarification received on complicated Brexit rules!
By glamman
That leaves
De Lange- I think has a contract for next year but awaiting decision about status
Hogan- if money tight and De Lange cleared to play may be released
Wagg- he has told the BBC that he has been offered a new contract- will wait and see
Hemphrey- May be released

Statement that Lloyd will open seems to remove the need for another opener. Not sure we have a spinner who will take wickets in 4 day cricket but timing of matches seems to negate the need. If De Lange can play and Hogan stays we should have enough seamers. Hopefully Smith will keep fit as he appears to be the quickest after De Lange.
By Bubbles
I sam baffled why Wagg has been offered a new contract unless one significantly reduced terms. Rumoured to be on £80k how can we afford that? Only plays now and again and although a competitor not one to set examples. I know MM signed him but let's get real.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm I sam baffled why Wagg has been offered a new contract unless one significantly reduced terms. Rumoured to be on £80k how can we afford that? Only plays now and again and although a competitor not one to set examples. I know MM signed him but let's get real.
As you say, not sure the rewards are being fairly distributed
By Jenks33
Anything interesting come out of tonight’s members forum?
By glamman
glamman wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:37 pm That leaves
De Lange- I think has a contract for next year but awaiting decision about status
Hogan- if money tight and De Lange cleared to play may be released
Wagg- he has told the BBC that he has been offered a new contract- will wait and see
Hemphrey- May be released

Statement that Lloyd will open seems to remove the need for another opener. Not sure we have a spinner who will take wickets in 4 day cricket but timing of matches seems to negate the need. If De Lange can play and Hogan stays we should have enough seamers. Hopefully Smith will keep fit as he appears to be the quickest after De Lange.
Forgot about Cullen - he also needs a new contract. Will they rely on Horton as a reserve for Cooke?

Also not sure whether Sisodiya has been given one yet. Sure he will stay but maybe negotiating.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]