A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:08 pm
glamman wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:36 pm I am not sure what the West Indies are doing next but given that the 3rd Test finishes on 28th July I wonder if there is any opportunity to resign Brathwaite for a few games?
I think we would be better off saving our money and taking a look at the players that we have. Obviously it would be nice to win a few games and play some good cricket, but it's probably more important to plan for next season and to give players a chance to earn a new contract.
A reasonable approach but without Labuschagne it would be nice to have a reliable player at one end for the others to bat around.
By exileKT8
Someone to occupy one end seeing what Somerset have just done to Gloucs albeit in a friendly. Overton x 2, Brooks and Davey will fancy their chances against our batting line up, I fear we will do well to take it into a 3rd day.
By glamman
Interesting that BBC reporting the Balbirnie signing but nothing on the Glamorgan website.
By glamman
glamman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 pm Interesting that BBC reporting the Balbirnie signing but nothing on the Glamorgan website.
It's official
By glamman
Confirmation that Brown and Bull have been released. Wish them well. Particularly disappointing for Bull who started off well but then was hit by injuries. Wish them both well.

Wonder when we will hear more announcements? I would have thought the most likely to follow are Wagg, Hemphrey and Morgan. If Carey's injury is put down to poor conditioning he might also be out.
hujon64 liked this
By Nick_Glam
Yeah, a shame but a sensible decision. Must be particularly disappointing for Bull, as he was in the team so recently, but at least he was given a fair chance.

McIlroy is another that I would expect to see announced fairly soon.
hujon64 liked this
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:58 am Yeah, a shame but a sensible decision. Must be particularly disappointing for Bull, as he was in the team so recently, but at least he was given a fair chance.

I am not sure if McIlroy has ever played for our 2nd team. Not seen either him or Walker this season. Walker has a contract for next season.
hujon64 liked this
By hujon64
Always sad when players’ hopes are dashed so wish Brown and Bull well. However, Maynard made it clear in his interviews at start of this season that everyone would be given a chance to cement a place. This has been done and there will always be winners and losers. Like Glamman, I think Wagg and Hemphrey will go and Morgan and Carey are in the balance. Bit silly of Carey not to have ensured fit, unless prone to recurring injuries, which make an extension of contract very doubtful. Taylor has, of course, taken his chance and jumped ahead of others - well done to him as like his attitude!
By glamman
glamman wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:03 pm
Nick_Glam wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:58 am Yeah, a shame but a sensible decision. Must be particularly disappointing for Bull, as he was in the team so recently, but at least he was given a fair chance.

I am not sure if McIlroy has ever played for our 2nd team. Not seen either him or Walker this season. Walker has a contract for next season.
I understand McIlroy has been injured.
By glamman
Carey given a new two year contract. Must be on the condition he gets himself into better shape over the winter. He has the potential to be an effective bowler and will score you some runs but he needs to get his act together. Hopefully a good signing in the longer term.

By my calculations we now have 13 players with a confirmed contract for next year. Not sure about Ingram. I think that leaves Sisodiya, McIlroy, Wagg, Hogan, TvdG, Cullen, Taylor, Hemphrey, Morgan and Joe Cooke. Of those I assume that Sisodiya, TvdG, Cullen, Taylor and Joe Cooke will be retained and probably Hogan and McIlroy. Not sure about the others.

The good news reported on the BBC website is that David Lloyd is planning to be back tonight in Birmingham. Great news although cannot expect him to perform immediately. Squad not announced yet but the team could be:
Selman
Lloyd
Balbirnie
Cooke
Taylor
Douthwaite
Smith
Salter
De Lange
TvdG
Sisodiya

Personally I would be happy with Hogan in place of TvdG but I am not sure he is going to appear in the T20s this year. Do not think Wagg should be bowling.
By Jenks33
Any rumours regarding recruitment for next season? Or is it a bit too early? Are we likely to see a new opener and a new bowler or am I being optimistic.
By glamman
Jenks33 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 am Any rumours regarding recruitment for next season? Or is it a bit too early? Are we likely to see a new opener and a new bowler or am I being optimistic.
Have to get another top 3 batsman. Nick Webb included it in one his reports but not sure if he knew anything. We are OK for spinners with the return of Labuschagne + Sisodiya, Salter and Taylor. With regard to seamers, at the moment we have De Lange, Smith, Carey, Walker. Assume we will resign TvdG. Then there is Hogan - probably worth another season. McIlroy has been injured but assume he will be kept. Douthwaite will remain but I am not sure of his effectivenss as a bowler and needs to improve or play as a batsman. Don't know what is happening with Wagg but think his time is over.
Therefore we potentially have 7 proper seamers + Douthwaite. Do we need another?

Someone posted that we would be signing Samit Patel. No idea if true but not sure it solves our main problems. Might be a useful stop gap. He is 35.
By Bubbles
Looking back at selection we went through a period of selecting people for red or white ball cricket. I feel sure that this did nothing for players confidence and now has been abolished.
I agree that there is a difference between the two but we are hardly strong enough to do this. We really are carrying some dead wood and should let people go.
With lots of countries sticking with their youngsters there are some excellent cricketers that will be surplus and we should be picking them up on two year contracts.
I think we really need a experienced pro to set an example about the game which apart from Hogan we sadly lack.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 am Looking back at selection we went through a period of selecting people for red or white ball cricket. I feel sure that this did nothing for players confidence and now has been abolished.
I agree that there is a difference between the two but we are hardly strong enough to do this. We really are carrying some dead wood and should let people go.
With lots of countries sticking with their youngsters there are some excellent cricketers that will be surplus and we should be picking them up on two year contracts.
I think we really need a experienced pro to set an example about the game which apart from Hogan we sadly lack.
I think Lloyd is that sort of player now and we have missed him. However with no obvious top 3 batsman coming through, that is a priority. Never going to be sure about Labuschagne’s availability.
By hujon64
On the subject of recruitment, we have signed the youngster Alex Horton for 3 years and would expect to see him play next year as Wallace started at that age and kept his place for 18 years. Any other highly promising youngsters in the Academy pipeline? We have had many coming through who have been given a chance but just not made it. Saw on Twitter that Abergavenny in Gwent won all three of their regional finals at u11, 13 and 15 recently and a lad playing in the last two as man of the match in both was mentioned to me in a phone call with a mate recently as an Academy lad - Tom Norton - anyone know anything about him or any others?
Hutton and Sole to leave Northants

Brett Hutton has not accepted a contract extension[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]