A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Good to see Ingram in the runs today - 63 no off 41 balls.
By glamman
Rob Newton released by Northants. Might be of interest to bolster our top order options. Really just a Championship option.
By Nick_Glam
Will be interesting to see whether we (along with other counties) will have any money to sign players after all that has gone on.

Or whether we will go with a smaller squad.
By Ger27
I think it's inevitable that counties will operate with much smaller squads. I read somewhere that we could be looking at 25% smaller at many counties.

I wonder how the expected 2 overseas players for 2021 will work for Glamorgan. Will Ingram or de Lange need to take one of the slots, leaving the other to be considered "British"? Maybe de Lange already holds a British passport?
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 pm I think it's inevitable that counties will operate with much smaller squads. I read somewhere that we could be looking at 25% smaller at many counties.

I wonder how the expected 2 overseas players for 2021 will work for Glamorgan. Will Ingram or de Lange need to take one of the slots, leaving the other to be considered "British"? Maybe de Lange already holds a British passport?
De Lange is a non-overseas player, having been granted a UK visa because his wife holds a British passport.
By glamman
Great to see Marnus signed until end of 2022. Not sure how much he will be available but great signing.
By glamman
Piece on BBC website today includes quotes from Wallace:

With nearly half of a large squad out of contract at the end of a truncated season, Wallace is still hopeful of making contract decisions for cricketing rather than financial reasons.
"If we do start playing in August that also means we'll be back training a month or so before that, so it gives a fair window of time for people to go out and perform to earn those deals," Wallace said.
"We'll make as many of the decisions we can for purely cricketing reasons, so if we decide to take a smaller squad into next season it'll be because that's the amount of players we feel we need to move the club forward."

By my calculations the players with contracts ending this year are:
Brown, Bull, Carey, Wagg, Taylor, TvdG, Meschede, Hogan, Cullen, Morgan

McIlroy, Selman and Sisodiya had contracts ending last year and I never saw any announcments about their renewal so do not know how long their new contrcats are for.

Hogan is now 39 (40 next May) so not sure how many games he can play in a season. OK for Darren Stevens to bowl his medium pacers but not sure at Hogan's pace. Wagg will also be 38 at the start of next season. Unfortunate to have his testimonial this year. Meschede has not played much in the last couple of seasons with injuries and now there is Douthwaite as well as Smith. Brown did not score many runs for the 2s last year and may miss out and I am still not sure what role Morgan is seen as having. He has a 1st class batting average of 20.6 and a bowling average of 67.

I guess it will come down to money. What can be afforded and what other options are available.
By Nick_Glam
Yes, a little bit of positive news to have Labuschagne extending his stay.

I confess that I hadn't thought before about how unfortunate Graham Wagg is, and I also have a huge amount of sympathy for anybody who is out of contract.
By hujon64
With the lockdown and Glamorgan seeking a bank loan, I feel there will be tough decisions re renewal of contracts, especially for the older players. I hope Hogan gets another year as it was meant to be his benefit this year and would be very unfortunate if he did not get the ’recognition’ he deserves. Wagg may be vulnerable, deLange (I’m told) is very expensive and the performances of the younger element will need careful consideration. Players may have to agree to reduced contracts as a smaller squad is inevitable, I think.
By glamman
hujon64 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:44 pm With the lockdown and Glamorgan seeking a bank loan, I feel there will be tough decisions re renewal of contracts, especially for the older players. I hope Hogan gets another year as it was meant to be his benefit this year and would be very unfortunate if he did not get the ’recognition’ he deserves. Wagg may be vulnerable, deLange (I’m told) is very expensive and the performances of the younger element will need careful consideration. Players may have to agree to reduced contracts as a smaller squad is inevitable, I think.
If the aim is for Hogan to get a benefit year then he will stay but canbnot keep him and Wagg. It's not a retirement home :)
De Lange has a contract until the end of next year.
By glamman
Interesting time to announce that Selman has a new 2 year contract. Must have been sorted out a while ago as he was out of contract at the end of last season. :doh:
By glamman
I am not sure what the West Indies are doing next but given that the 3rd Test finishes on 28th July I wonder if there is any opportunity to resign Brathwaite for a few games?
By Ger27
So is this is the contracts position after this summer?

Still under contract: Chris Cooke, Ingram, Lloyd, Labuschagne, De Lange, Salter, Root, Selman, Douthwaite, Smith, Carlson, Walker

Out of contract: Van der gugten, Hogan, Wagg, Hemphrey, Carey, Cullen, Taylor, Joe Cooke, Bull, Morgan, Brown, Sisodiya, Mcilroy

I think I'm right in saying that Glamorgan have had bigger squads than most counties in recent years. Difficult to imagine they'll be in a position to run with such a big squad from 2021... makes you wonder how many of those out of contract will get a new one. Half maybe?
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm So is this is the contracts position after this summer?

Still under contract: Chris Cooke, Ingram, Lloyd, Labuschagne, De Lange, Salter, Root, Selman, Douthwaite, Smith, Carlson, Walker

Out of contract: Van der gugten, Hogan, Wagg, Hemphrey, Carey, Cullen, Taylor, Joe Cooke, Bull, Morgan, Brown, Sisodiya, Mcilroy

I think I'm right in saying that Glamorgan have had bigger squads than most counties in recent years. Difficult to imagine they'll be in a position to run with such a big squad from 2021... makes you wonder how many of those out of contract will get a new one. Half maybe?
Those who I expect to be retained are TvdG, Hemphrey, Bull, Carey, Cullen.
Hogan will stay if it is felt he still has another season in him.
Joe Cooke has only just come in so needs a chance.
Still not quite sure where Morgan fits in and Sisodiya may be surplus to requirements with Labuschagne's leg breaks plus Bull and Salter and also Root.
Never seen McIlroy .
We don't have many batsmen so Brown may stay. He didn't do much in the 2nds last year.
Taylor is in a similar position but at least one of these two will be retained.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:36 pm I am not sure what the West Indies are doing next but given that the 3rd Test finishes on 28th July I wonder if there is any opportunity to resign Brathwaite for a few games?
I think we would be better off saving our money and taking a look at the players that we have. Obviously it would be nice to win a few games and play some good cricket, but it's probably more important to plan for next season and to give players a chance to earn a new contract.
exileKT8 liked this
Just not good enough

I have been a loyal supporter for 50 years and hav[…]

Slightly odd squad named for final two games. Morg[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]

T20 for 2020

The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gl[…]