A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By JamesH
Ger27 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am So could be lining up like this for the CC:

Selman
Lloyd
Labuschagne
Carlson
Root
Cooke
Taylor
Neser
Smith
van der Gugten
Hogan

An opener short of being a decent side.

I think that looks good. Given the lack of a quality red ball spinner I'd be happy for Labuschagne to pick up the slack, and Taylor looked surprisingly handy last season too. Very much agree on the need for an opener though.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am So could be lining up like this for the CC:

Selman
Lloyd
Labuschagne
Carlson
Root
Cooke
Taylor
Neser
Smith
van der Gugten
Hogan

An opener short of being a decent side.
Cannot disagree with that selection. Difficult to justify another top order batsman with Hemphrey still on the books. Hopefully he'll play well enough to force his way in, allowing Lloyd to drop back down the order to 4 and Carlson, Root and Taylor to battle it out for the other two slots.
The batting line up looks pretty long with Neser at 8 and Smith at 9.
The announcement indicates that he won't be playing T20, suggesting that Ingram and Labuschagne will fill those slots. Personally I would rather have Neser than Labuschagne or Ingram. Labuschagne hasn't played much T20 and Ingram needs to prove he can still perform. Unfortunately he still has a contract in place for 2021.
By exileKT8
So is Neser the replacement for Wagg hinted at by Shamu? Fits in with a timeline of not making an announcement until Surrey had clarified they were keeping Amla and Morkel.

Good that the Queensland link is there so hopefully he will fit in. Without wishing to tempt fate I think Neser replacing De Lange makes the team better balanced. When De Lange bowled full he could be a threat but with his pace a lot of balls went to boundary, sometimes, granted, off the edge. His batting was spectacular in the two innings against Leics and Northants but aside from that plenty of low scores. Neser seems to be an all rounder who does what all rounders are supposed to do in that he takes wickets and scores runs. Let`s hope he doesn`t break into the Aussie team too soon.

So despite all the financial doom and gloom we now have Labuschagne and Neser who I doubt come cheap as Neser is in good form too. Perhaps the money saved re De Lange pays for some of Neser.

On his current batting form Neser might find himself higher than 8, let`s hope he proves to be another Kasper in the Daffodil..
By uskexile
You can't have Marnus and Neser in that CC side - they are both overseas players!
By glamman
uskexile wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:17 pm You can't have Marnus and Neser in that CC side - they are both overseas players!
With the loss of Kolpak players there can be 2 overseas players in all competitions next year.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:15 pm So is Neser the replacement for Wagg hinted at by Shamu? Fits in with a timeline of not making an announcement until Surrey had clarified they were keeping Amla and Morkel.

Good that the Queensland link is there so hopefully he will fit in. Without wishing to tempt fate I think Neser replacing De Lange makes the team better balanced. When De Lange bowled full he could be a threat but with his pace a lot of balls went to boundary, sometimes, granted, off the edge. His batting was spectacular in the two innings against Leics and Northants but aside from that plenty of low scores. Neser seems to be an all rounder who does what all rounders are supposed to do in that he takes wickets and scores runs. Let`s hope he doesn`t break into the Aussie team too soon.

So despite all the financial doom and gloom we now have Labuschagne and Neser who I doubt come cheap as Neser is in good form too. Perhaps the money saved re De Lange pays for some of Neser.

On his current batting form Neser might find himself higher than 8, let`s hope he proves to be another Kasper in the Daffodil..
Personally I would rather lose Ingram, have Neser playing T20 and bring in another top order batsman. Not going to happen as (1) Ingram has another year on his contract and (2) he is the Fire's "local icon" so wouldn't look good releasing him.
Last edited by glamman on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By uskexile
I see, back to the old days. Might work well for the younger players if you can get two good overseas to pass on their knowledge.
By hujon64
Neser seems a pretty shrewd signing by MW and MM who, probably, made the signing of the 2019 season with Labuschagne. With a few not re-signed I presume it is getting nearer to the side they want, money being a deciding factor of course. With Ingram’s contract not out, they have to retain him or pay him off a large sum, I presume. As said before, lots of contracts up in 2021 so all to play for as MW and MM have openly stated this year that players will be given a chance but have to perform. Quite ruthlessly, let Wagg, the fan’s favourite, go when he wouldn’t agree to their terms. Professional sport can be cruel.
By Jenks33
Good signing. Agree with Glamman, I think we’ll be frustrated that Neser isn’t our second overseas player for the T20’s. Ingram and Labuschagne will need to score a lot of runs + salter and Sisodiya will have to do the business again because our seam attack will go for plenty. Hope I’m wrong
By glamman
Jenks33 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:30 pm Good signing. Agree with Glamman, I think we’ll be frustrated that Neser isn’t our second overseas player for the T20’s. Ingram and Labuschagne will need to score a lot of runs + salter and Sisodiya will have to do the business again because our seam attack will go for plenty. Hope I’m wrong
De Lange was a bit hit and miss in T20 but certainly could put in a stint. Smith has been our best seamer in T20 for the last few seasons and TvdG has also done OK. Just a question of who the 3rd seamer will be and I was not terribly reassured by the fixation of only bowling 5 bowlers in the last few games. You need as many options as possible in T20. Obviously we might use Marnus' leg spin.
By exileKT8
As you have probably seen on BBC website they seem to think Ingram will be the locum who covers Labuschagne when Cricket Australia calls.
By RJ89
That suggested 11 is looking pretty competitive to me too. I am more optimistic about Glamorgan's prospects next season than I have felt for a long while. That said, this tends to happen most winters.

Nevertheless, I am impressed by the signing of Neser and the difficult decisions made to release stalwarts, high profile names, young, (and not so young) hopefuls. I perceive this to reflect both the austere times and a ruthless focus on future improvement. - Which I particularly applaud and think is both necessary and overdue.

I would also like to see a proven opening bat signed but hope Lloyd will be successful there and provide some dash at the top if he does convert to opening. - A tough job with so much cricket in seamer friendly April these days. - There were some stats recently showing how the average scores of domestic top order players had declined over recent years and I suspect that early seamer friendly pitches are at least as responsible as the rise of shorter forms of the game?

I watched Taylor get his century on the live feed and loved it. It seems to me there there is a batch of young talent with a chance to get into the side and contribute. So surely that bodes well too.

I wish all those moving on the very best but here's to the future.
By glamman
The issue for me is the fact there are still so few players in this XI who have come thru the Wales/Glamorgan development program.
Just Lloyd, Carlson and Smith. I think most of Taylor's age group cricket was played in Australia.
Hopefully we will also see plenty of the other Welsh products: Salter, Sisodiya, Carey, Walker and Horton.
We still need more productivity from the academy.
By Nick_Glam
On paper Neser looks like a sensible signing and possibly a better fit than de Lange.

We can probably afford to have him batting at number 8, but I guess we also have the option of pushing him up to 7 if we ever want to change the balance of the side.
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]