A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Shamu wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:18 pm
Herring with 110 and Bull with 95* today.
[/quote]

Neither cut it at first class cricket - so, why do they get a mention ?
[/quote]

I will congratulate players who put in good performances. Not cutting it didn't stop you backing Weighell despite him being rejected by two of the weaker counties. Am not suggesting they should be playing for Glamorgan tomorrow or anytime. Was responding to the question as to why you need a mix of players in the WNC side - youngsters and a few more experienced players. Bull is still working hard playing 2nd XI cricket - good luck to him. He's still young.
Nick_Glam liked this
By Shamu
In that case, my nephew scored 11 (but was out twice) in his club’s under 12’s pairs cricket cup game.
I’m sure he’s one for you to keep an eye on. 😉

FYI - the title to this thread is ‘The Squad’.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm Harris on a 3 year contract. Hope he performs better than Weighell.
Yes, I think it's perfectly valid for anyone to have doubts over giving a 3 year contract to a player who has struggled in recent times.

Harris undoubtedly has ability (and we are pretty desperate), so hopefully he can return to form next year.
By Neverout
Harris will be 32 when he starts his contract, hardly an age when seamers improve. His career has been in decline for a number of years now and I doubt there were any other counties fighting to sign him therefore it is difficult to see why a three year deal was necessary , particularly if , as many of us fear, the magic has gone forever.

His appearances for us earlier in the season did not have any of us clamouring for his permanent signature and by the Kent match he was third change behind Hogan, Carey, TvdG and Lloyd. His earlier game against Northants he seemed about equivalent to Weighell.

Like all in here I hope he discovers an Indian summer to his career and rediscovers his form but I would think most cricket watchers would have enough doubts not to offer a three year contract to a bowler with his profile.

I am always dubious when any sports club justifies a signing with the words "a great voice in the dressing room" much preferring a great performer on the pitch.
glamman liked this
By Shamu
Neverout wrote:Harris will be 32 when he starts his contract, hardly an age when seamers improve. His career has been in decline for a number of years now and I doubt there were any other counties fighting to sign him therefore it is difficult to see why a three year deal was necessary , particularly if , as many of us fear, the magic has gone forever.

His appearances for us earlier in the season did not have any of us clamouring for his permanent signature and by the Kent match he was third change behind Hogan, Carey, TvdG and Lloyd. His earlier game against Northants he seemed about equivalent to Weighell.

Like all in here I hope he discovers an Indian summer to his career and rediscovers his form but I would think most cricket watchers would have enough doubts not to offer a three year contract to a bowler with his profile.

I am always dubious when any sports club justifies a signing with the words "a great voice in the dressing room" much preferring a great performer on the pitch.
Four falsehoods in the first paragraph alone, which detracts from any credibility attributable to the subsequent statements. Sport is all about opinions, but it’s a shame when the unknowledgeable and uninformed make absurd observations.
By Neverout
As it is when the ill-mannered and pretentious join in with no opinions to offer except to disagree.
Nick_Glam, glamman liked this
By Shamu
Neverout wrote:As it is when the ill-mannered and pretentious join in with no opinions to offer except to disagree.
I concur with this, but there are signs that Glamman is learning and verifying facts before making inaccurate statements. A lesson for others as well.
By glamman
It would be nice if the IT team added the new recruits to the website - Rutherford, Reingold and Gorvin.
The success of the RL team might be casuing more headaches for the management than they have solved when it comes to next year's squad. People with contracts that have been announced, for next year are:
Weighell
Ingram
Carlson
Root
Labuschagne
Taylor
Carey
Hogan
Lloyd
Sisodiya
Chris Cooke
Neser
Horton
Douthwaite
Harris

That leaves
TvdG
Cullen
Salter
Smith
Selman
Joe Cooke
McIlroy
and we now also have Gorvin and Reingold.

Questions have been raised about whether TvdG is looking elsewhere so we might be losing him. Presumably Cullen stays as I am not sure Horton will be deemed ready/fully available yet. Salter is still a reliable white ball player, although did get dropped from the T20 side. There have also been rumours about Critchley, so maybe Salter leaves. Smith is playing this week but his injury record is such that he may go. I'd be amazed if Selman has not been given another contract. Cooke is a question mark. Not seemed up to it as an opener but has done a super job in the RL cup. However would not see him bowling in T20 and would expect Douthwaite to be selected ahead of him in the batting all-rounder slot. Would be cruel to release him but how big a squad can we have? McIlory playing this week but I have little evidence of what he can do. Reingold is currently 41 n.o. in the 2nds game. Given our lack of batsmen, he may be worth keeping. Gorvin did a job but not sure he is good enough.

By my calculation that makes a potential squad of 23. Too many or just right?
By Ger27
I think Critchley would be a brilliant signing. Would ensure a nice balance to the team, with Cooke able to bat as low as 7. Even if TVdG decides to move on, it's a decent squad

Selman            (J.Cooke)
New
Labuschagne (Ingram)
Carlson            (Reingold)
Lloyd                (Root)
Critchley          (Taylor)
C.Cooke           (Cullen, Horton)
Harris               (Douthwaite)
Smith               (Salter, Sisodiya)
Neser               (Weighell)
Hogan              (Carey)

One opener short of being a Div 1 quality side in my eyes. Any news on where Dan Lawrence is going - I think I'm right in saying he's out of contract? He'd be ideal, but many suitors I'm sure.

Salter is a difficult one. Nice bloke and always gives a 100%, but if Critchley signs and Salter has the option of signing for another county, he should probably take the offer up rather than stay?

Hope Smith gets fully fit. I'm a big fan (granted, not to the same extent as glanman :) )
By glamman
Is it thought Lawrence wants to move?
While Lloyd might have been a makeshift opener I think he has done a great job and provides some aggression at the top of the order which means the bowlers don’t get a chance settle. Therefore I would keep him there.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 pm I think Critchley would be a brilliant signing. Would ensure a nice balance to the team, with Cooke able to bat as low as 7. Even if TVdG decides to move on, it's a decent squad

Selman            (J.Cooke)
New
Labuschagne (Ingram)
Carlson            (Reingold)
Lloyd                (Root)
Critchley          (Taylor)
C.Cooke           (Cullen, Horton)
Harris               (Douthwaite)
Smith               (Salter, Sisodiya)
Neser               (Weighell)
Hogan              (Carey)

One opener short of being a Div 1 quality side in my eyes. Any news on where Dan Lawrence is going - I think I'm right in saying he's out of contract? He'd be ideal, but many suitors I'm sure.

Salter is a difficult one. Nice bloke and always gives a 100%, but if Critchley signs and Salter has the option of signing for another county, he should probably take the offer up rather than stay?

Hope Smith gets fully fit. I'm a big fan (granted, not to the same extent as glanman :) )
I'm a big fan of any young player who looks like they are going to be able to deliver the goods for us. Just my opinions. Not a fan of people who have performed well in the past but are on their way down. Only interested in what they have done over the last 2 years maximum and that they are getting better or at least maintaining form, not getting worse. Talking of which, I wonder how much each of Ingram's 204 runs this season cost us?
By Ger27
Selman leaving and Ed Byrom from Somerset coming in, by all accounts.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:05 pm Selman leaving and Ed Byrom from Somerset coming in, by all accounts.
Not sure that Byrom is a move upwards. They are much the same age. Byrom averages 27 from 31 FC matches and Selman 28 from 59. While Byrom has had a pretty awful season, Selman had an excellent RL cup. Perhaps Maynard thinks he can turn things around for him and there are other factors in Selman leaving.
By exileKT8
Presumably MM would know Byrom during his time at Somerset.

Looking into his stats, one successful T20 campaign in 2019 but a highest FC score of 56 and a total of 63 runs in his 8 innings (once n.o. )this summer. Best FC bowling 0/39.

Another southern hemisphere accent in the changing room. Perhaps Glammy management fancy him for the 100.
By exileKT8
We could have spent a lot of money on Mark Stoneman to solve the opening problem....
CC v Durham

Again, our old bete noire, Chris Rushworth lays ba[…]