A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Shamu
Budget for playing staff is healthy judging by next few years squad profile - some culling of younger players to follow but the ambition being shown is commendable and a definite improvement from recent years.

Personally, I would give some credit to Wallace for loosening the pursestrings.
exileKT8, hujon64 liked this
By glamman
Fine as long as the focus remains on developing Welsh youngsters. You highlighted in another thread the lack of caps awarded to Welsh players. It's a much cheaper option and a better way of getting local people through the gates.
hujon64 liked this
By Shamu
Developing Welsh youngsters is part of the Glamorgan DNA - but for those youngsters to progress and become mainstays in the Glamorgan team has proved problematical.
For what it’s worth, my opinion is that the ambition of these youngsters is sated by getting a contract and playing for Glamorgan - whereas their mindset should be to use Glamorgan performances as a stepping stone to higher honours.

How many young Welsh players do you see strutting around at 2nd team games /Minor Counties and in club cricket wearing the Glamorgan colours acting as if they’ve made it big ?
Change of mindset required if successful careers are to be achieved. This is partly achieved by following the behaviours of senior role models, which is part of what Messrs Wallace and Maynard are putting in place. The rest is down to an individuals talent and desire.
glamman, exileKT8 liked this
By hujon64
Shamu wrote:Developing Welsh youngsters is part of the Glamorgan DNA - but for those youngsters to progress and become mainstays in the Glamorgan team has proved problematical.
For what it’s worth, my opinion is that the ambition of these youngsters is sated by getting a contract and playing for Glamorgan - whereas their mindset should be to use Glamorgan performances as a stepping stone to higher honours.

How many young Welsh players do you see strutting around at 2nd team games /Minor Counties and in club cricket wearing the Glamorgan colours acting as if they’ve made it big ?
Change of mindset required if successful careers are to be achieved. This is partly achieved by following the behaviours of senior role models, which is part of what Messrs Wallace and Maynard are putting in place. The rest is down to an individuals talent and desire.
Couldn’t agree more Shamu. I think Wallace, Maynard, Morris and Cricket Wales have jointly developed a good plan to develop Welsh players with the new regional pathways and Glam (like all other County Clubs) NOW responsible for all Welsh Age teams from u13 to Academy. Youngsters have been given chances with contracts not renewed if not performing and no sentimentality with popular stalwarts like Wagg . Good overseas signings and long term careers and experience of likes of Maynard, Morris, Wallace, Harrison etc mean respect from those starting out. Understand lots of ‘good’ youngsters coming through but give the current management time to develop them. As for reaching second tier in CC this year, all credit to players, coaches and management. Looking forward to following this week’s match with return of Labuschagne and Neser.
By Ger27
I really hope van der Gugten's contract is signed soon!

Seems to be a lot of players out of contract around the counties - Steven Finn, James Harris and Dan Lawrence amongst them.
By glamman
The question is whether the contract has been offered or the player is looking at other options.
By Neverout
The story on another sport's forum is that James Harris is being lined up for a return. Mixed feelings if true. Fondly remember the emergence and blossoming of the promising youngster. However, there is nothing in his recent county form to suggest he would have a place in the side.

On balance, probably wouldn't want to see another "my mate" appointment.
By glamman
Neverout wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:11 pm The story on another sport's forum is that James Harris is being lined up for a return. Mixed feelings if true. Fondly remember the emergence and blossoming of the promising youngster. However, there is nothing in his recent county form to suggest he would have a place in the side.

Have to say I fully agree. Did not show anything to support him being a good signing when he came back earlier on in the season. Can see why Middx are releasing him. Not sure if he is currently injured but has not played any cricket since 10 June.
By RJ89
Re: James Harris.

I am of the opinion that there are many more positives than negatives to his possible return and that we should welcome him home and sign him up if we have the budget, if he wants to play for us again and is fit to perform.

He has a fine career record and, at just 31 surely has the potential for many more years of top quality play. Welsh too, of course.
By Shamu
Can’t see Glamman being happy, as he’s over 25 and hasn’t played for Glammy 2nds for a couple of years without staking a claim for first team cricket, neither does he play in the South Wales Premier League.

I wonder if Messrs Morris and Wallace have consulted Glamman over this ? Can’t believe they’d be so foolhardy as to consider signing a player without seeking out his much valued opinion.

Only the three inaccuracies in Glammans post above - which for him is pretty decent.
By glamman
Another good bowling performance from Tegid Phillips in the WNC game with 4/13.
By Neverout
A good performance but once again polishing off the tail. I know this is a very useful skill but it would be nice to see him trusted with some of the earlier overs at established batsmen. Perhaps one of the plethora of ex-players employed in the development processes could suggest or implement this experiment at his club, WMC or second XI level.
glamman liked this
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:32 pm
Neverout wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:11 pm The story on another sport's forum is that James Harris is being lined up for a return. Mixed feelings if true. Fondly remember the emergence and blossoming of the promising youngster. However, there is nothing in his recent county form to suggest he would have a place in the side.

Have to say I fully agree. Did not show anything to support him being a good signing when he came back earlier on in the season. Can see why Middx are releasing him. Not sure if he is currently injured but has not played any cricket since 10 June.
Just noticed Harris playing for Middlesex today.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:57 pm
glamman wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:32 pm

Just noticed Harris playing for Middlesex today.
I note that since I made my original post, Cricinfo has also recorded that he played in a 2nd team game last week. Very happpy if he comes to Glamorgan and does the business for us. However has not been making regular appearances for Middlesex, a side that are bottom of their Championship and Blast tables.
By Shamu
Well, you’ve just corrected one of the inaccuracies from your previous post. Only two more for you to address !
Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]

THE HUNDRED

Delighted to see that we are trying out the captai[…]

Royal London

A new competition and hopefully better fortune. We[…]

Royal London 50 Over Competition

Starts tomorrow v Glamorgan.